• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Onwards to a better BK

MikeyB-17

Oy, you lot, lay off Jeremiah’s shoes! They’re Sanuks, I’m on my second pair, can’t beat ‘em! And waaay cheaper than the Jarrow boots, nice as they are.
I think the A-2 is vastly improved. Originally it looked like a repro-I don’t think I’ve ever seen a WWII A-2 with a finish that shiny. Now it looks like it’s been through a war.

MikeyB-17

And why not? Hey, at least it’s not those damned unmanly Birkenstocks!
Sanuks, though, OK I don’t wear them all the time, but around the house, or at the beach, love ‘em. When this pair wear out, I’ll be looking for another. This is Cornwall, we’re all laid back surf dudes down here.

jeremiah

Had the same non leather smell on my ex-BK.
the new owner immediately complained, since I forgot to mention it. Even after weeks, he says : “it still smells like a bug killer”...
Yeah, the smell on mine was not bad. I mean that I can usually tell the difference between the tanning verses the dye/pigment. This one I believe was the pigment. It didn’t smell horrible though.

jeremiah

Do you need my address Ken?

You should have seen the pair of Sunuks I used to wear. Looked like the colored robe of Joseph.

I do have a black ostrich skin hide just waiting to be made into something.

So I just walked the dog while wearing this in the morning sun. It has a nice russet color to it no. And it’s draping better now that the 2” thick coat of melted vinyl is off it.
To be clear,BK did not like this finish on the leather and they never made many jackets out of these hides. Just used up what the Japanese tannery sent them. It is nice leather underneath though and probably the toughest feeling hide I have felt his thin.

Brett, thanks. I will try and get some fit pics today when there is some good lighting.

Last edited:

dmar836

Awesome! Not sure how anyone could think it was better to leave it as it was.
Isn't it something that nobody can seem to pressure the tanneries get them hides like this consistently?
I know a few makers alter or have altered their hides as needed(GW, DD). The result is worth it IMO but the time and effort is considerable when time is money.
Strong work!
Dave

jeremiah

It still looks better in person. I think it’s a decent match for the BK antique russet. Not saying it’s the exact same but close.
F9989236-05FB-4D9E-8CDA-DC277A6A4016.jpeg

stanier

To be fair and notwithstanding my earlier comments that does look good.

What about the knits now? :D

jeremiah

Ha. Thanks. Yeah one day they will get replace. What color do you think would go well with the leather now?