• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Onwards to a better BK

stanier

That seriously looks awesome Jeremiah. A thousand times better than that linoleum in the first pic ;)

Smithy my friend, how can you say that! A beautiful BK Dubow repro in the first pic, destroyed by the last pic, imho.

Jeremiah, you are so lucky to have a stature that could with ease find a wearable original with all the aging you desire in your chrome tanned perfection so why spend time and $ on oversized repro’s and then f#*%#%ck them up?!

Sorry, I don’t get this on so many fronts. BUT it is your $ so if you enjoy carry on!

Smithy

No way, that first photo is too shiny, looks like pleather mate!

I like the last photo, it has some nice tonal variation.

But I agree with you there's no way I'd do it, I just wear the hell out of my jackets!

Cocker

What an amazing job!! But I have to agree with Ken here, you should do something about these shoes [emoji39]

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Greg Gale

Hmm....interesting. I agree the original was too shiny. And you did a great job making it look like a WW2 original. Still, I would never do this to any of my jackets, let alone such an expensive one. I'd wear them like I hate them, and then I'd know every bit of patina, ding and scratch is real. I always hated pre-faded jeans, let alone torn ones. This kind of treatment will never feel real to me, not even Eastman's. Then again, it's your jacket, and if this is what you wanted then you did a great job of it.

B-Man2

J
Are you having fun with it? I mean do you enjoy playing with it , coloring it , learning how to do various things to make it look better or get the desired look you want? All of those things are part of this crazy hobby we all participate in. If you answered yes to some or all of these ..., then Have At It and enjoy yourself and don’t get hung up on what I or we would do . But I gotta admit it was a ballsie move with a new high end jacket brother :eek:

jeremiah

Smithy my friend, how can you say that! A beautiful BK Dubow repro in the first pic, destroyed by the last pic, imho.

Jeremiah, you are so lucky to have a stature that could with ease find a wearable original with all the aging you desire in your chrome tanned perfection so why spend time and $ on oversized repro’s and then f#*%#%ck them up?!

Sorry, I don’t get this on so many fronts. BUT it is your $ so if you enjoy carry on!

Appreciate the concern but I did not botch this up. The jacket as was in person was horribly pigmented. Even Andy told me to pass on this when I bought it off eBay which was no where near what some are paying for a repro these days BTW. I know what I am doing with dyes. Been doing it for years with leather. Was not going for an aged look. Like I said, this was be result of the pigment finish coming off with acetone. You know they used acetone in the war right? When they did the depot redyes.

It’s my jacket Pal. I will shred it under a lawnmower for all you care. So please don’t come in here with your opinion if your trying to tell me what to do with MY gear. You should have stuck with your first post and let it go. It was humorous. This last one just makes you look bad my friend. No disrespect.
I have two jackets that I would not do this to. This one needed it.

Believe me. No amount of wear was doing anything with this finish by any stretch of he imagination. Smith had it right when he compared it to linoleum. It’s exaxtly what it felt like and looked like. BK themselves were ashamed of how this leather turned out.

stanier

Appreciate the concern but I did not botch this up. The jacket as was in person was horribly pigmented. Even Andy told me to pass on this when I bought it off eBay which was no where near what some are paying for a repro these days BTW. I know what I am doing with dyes. Been doing it for years with leather. Was not going for an aged look. Like I said, this was be result of the pigment finish coming off with acetone. You know they used acetone in the war right? When they did the depot redyes.

It’s my jacket Pal. I will shred it under a lawnmower for all you care. So please don’t come in here with your opinion if your trying to tell me what to do with MY gear. You should have stuck with your first post and let it go. It was humorous. This last one just makes you look bad my friend. No disrespect.
I have two jackets that I would not do this to. This one needed it.

Believe me. No amount of wear was doing anything with this finish by any stretch of he imagination. Smith had it right when he compared it to linoleum. It’s exaxtly what it felt like and looked like. BK themselves were ashamed of how this leather turned out.

Sorry Jeremiah, I thought I was clear with my last sentence, it’s your $, do as you please. If it wasn’t clear previously, I double underline it now.

jeremiah

You are correct. My bad. Sorry. To be clear I am ok with all feedback positive or negative. I know I possess the skills to undertake something like this without damaging anything. Believe me anything I did to this jacket would be an improvement. It was horrible to touch and look at. I did try selling it once here. Also had tried to sell it to another member here who ended up buying my BR RW instead.
So I had nothing to really lose. I didnt pay that much for it. Now I can wear it and look at it with the sun hitting it and not puke.
Ha.

Sorry for my knee jerk reply Stanier.

Last edited:

dmar836

I redyed an ELC Star that another member bought. Someone had tried to age it(timeworn-style) and went a bit overboard. It had the somewhat of look as yours after you used acetone. The problem was it was also stiff IMO. I too had nothing to lose and did the redye. Sealed it with Bicks 4. I was shocked that it turned out great as I too was willing to chance it. Since the finished hide was not really rubbed through it just needed the color replaced. On yours I think a solid redye would give the purists what they want but I would be okay leaving it as well. I'm not one at all for the weathered look unless obtained naturally and I know that wasn't your intent. What some should realize is that it looks like it is now sanded and "sueded" but it isn't. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's an illusion created by the areas of old dye in the grain.
Also, to some who don't dabble in messes and may not understand, this isn't as ominous as it looks.
Dave

jeremiah

Yeah I would never have sanded it or abused the surface. I also would not mess with my ELC or Bk aero as I like how they are finished and feel like. This thing just needed something done.

Acetone is not on long enough to do damage to the leather. It can leave it a bit dry as you say but you added a little conditioner to fix that. I would not be opposed to a solid redye on this. I am looking for a nice seal or dark seal color.

dmar836

I used the Eco Light Brown and found that to be much darker than planned. I think JC tipped me off to that. What about a couple nice thinned coats of a red color covered by straight light brown? That would be my formula for seal with the reddish breakthrough color. It might be that all the Eco colors are significantly darker than the label color. Can't remember.
Dave

jeremiah

Yeah. This brown I used has some red tones to it. In sunlight they are more prominent in person. Thanks for the tip on the Ecco brown.

tibor

Love it, Jeremiah! Man, what an improvement. The first pic looked like somebody from the British Baking Show did a melted chocolate replica. The final result looks awesome... just needs some natural creases to wear into the sleeves and such, and now it looks great as a daily wearer so you can enjoy doing it. How’s the smell? Any remnants of the leather smell or is that gone forever?

Skip

I’ll second that. Outstanding result. The only person you need to impress is yourself, who cares what anyone else thinks.

jeremiah

Love it, Jeremiah! Man, what an improvement. The first pic looked like somebody from the British Baking Show did a melted chocolate replica. The final result looks awesome... just needs some natural creases to wear into the sleeves and such, and now it looks great as a daily wearer so you can enjoy doing it. How’s the smell? Any remnants of the leather smell or is that gone forever?
ha.
no, this jacket never did quite smell like leather. It had a smell, but I think the pigment coating they put on was what the smell came from. Its definitely leather underneath that though. Thanks. After I bought this, I just wasn't happy with the look and feel so thats why I went with ELC. I tried off and on to wear this thing but between the color and feel I just couldn't do it. Now, I can use it in my rotation. Thanks Matt.

Pilot

Had the same non leather smell on my ex-BK.
the new owner immediately complained, since I forgot to mention it. Even after weeks, he says : “it still smells like a bug killer”...