• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Onwards to a better BK

jeremiah

so my BK dubow(as was) with an
97FC4749-998A-4449-89E2-26D1244B592B.jpeg

overly pigmented finish was making me not want to wear it. Just the color in person and the feel of the leather was gnawing at my OCD tendencies. So I thought I would do a bit of a strip and re-finish.

The above pic might make it look great but in person it just looked way off especially in sunlight and that shine, wow it was too shiny in person.

Here is step one. I think it looks good. Better than what it was in my opinion. Anyway. I am thinking of a dark brown dye to go over and hit the high spots where the original finish was stripped off. The dark brown I use will also give it a reddish tone under bright sunlight.

That said, what is your vote? Keep going or leave as is?
85110DF5-4F2A-4DB5-B6EA-4F954917DEDC.jpeg

C64F9206-7976-4D86-9AE6-6317813D2408.jpeg

B02A3B26-4BE1-4B1F-BEE7-33F5185B9E46.jpeg

B-Man2

J
I think it looks kind of cool this way. Which way are you leaning?
What did you use to strip it?
I might just leave it that way and put a light coat of Pecards on it. You can always go back and try the other process in a few months if your not happy with the result.

jeremiah

C82CA172-F16D-4FEE-A387-DEEB44567979.jpeg
I use acetone carefully. Before someone out there passes out, I work with leather and so a lot of dying and staining. I always test first.
Here is a pic inside. Not sure but I do like this. Just wondering it if looks a little too fake? My intention was not to make it look worn, but now that it’s where it is at, I think it looks pretty cool.

Skip

Reckon J it looks swell as it is, definitely an improvement. But you are the one that has to be comfortable in it

dmar836

Yeah, I’d wear it for a season and see what it does. That Eco stuff from Tandy will put an even coat that isn’t too shiny and is surprisingly resilient. That is if you don’t like the way it ages from here.
Looks really good in the last pic.
Dave

jeremiah

Yeah I like the Ecco stuff. Sometimes I thin my dye with alcohol which allows it to penetrate deeper and I can build up layers more evenly.

Smithy

Looks much better Jeremiah, at least to my eyes. And you're right, you could stop ships from running aground with it in that first photo.

Ken at Aero Leather

Huge improvement, I'd try spraying a test area somewhere unseen with Pledge............a vastly underated product....give it vigorous run with a peice of rag while wet
We used industrial ammounts in The Thrift Shop, NEVER let us down, brings up a clear see through shine

dmar836

Certainly most all A-2s in period photos have a bit of a sheen to them - just not nearly that of the OP.
Not sure if Pledge could inhibit later dying but I would guess not much would... given a little time. Pledge is used on aircraft all the time too. Good stuff. Next is not for jackets but I'll throw in Scrubbing Bubbles as an underrated cleaner/degreaser.
Dave

Boyo

Certainly better now, nicely done... I'm with the crowd regarding wearing it for a bit, but its nice to have a fun project like this waiting for when you have the time. That said if you didn't like the results of adding additional dye to the jacket would another treatment of acetone bring it back to this point again?

stanier

When you’ve been out on the VLJ annual social and find out that you left your nice new A-2 at the bar, then someone says “don’t worry Jeremiah’s looking after it for you! He was last heard posting something about HWT, putting some new fencing in and where he could get a gallon of acetone”

upload_2018-9-6_15-51-54.jpeg

Good on you Jeremiah for having the pluck to do this stuff, but it’s not my cup of tea at all. Just a joke anyway, and hope it doesnt offend, just couldn’t resist....

jeremiah

Nope. Not at all.
I decided I wanted to use a dark brown oil dye I have worked with in past. It has a few kickbacks as it is buffable to bring out a slight sheen and also it is more nourishing for the leather and it’s a bit harder to rub off.
Outside shade
3882658C-6960-434C-885C-C56F2035DE20.jpeg

Outside sun
2D5AACE7-B967-4A97-A45E-A343C7541D85.jpeg

Inside w/ flash
341C4A8F-1DED-4BCA-ACD0-89992A33377C.jpeg