• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

one to add to your collection maybe!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Could be a wicked wolf dressed up as a Granny!
littlelittle.jpg

It would be taking a chance ... he only registered the day before listing.

asiamiles

Roughwear said:
I suspect the AM label was removed before the jacket went to the surplus store. It was either an unissued jacket from an RAF depot or came direct from the maker.
And they would have removed the strap from behind the collar as well?

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
asiamiles said:
And they would have removed the strap from behind the collar as well?
It's a late war type. They were not fitted with straps.

Peter is quite right here. Late War Irvins never had the elastic collar securing strap.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
The seller has zero feedback, and even using Paypal buyer would only protected for 150 pounds. Could be 100% genuine, but...?

But ...?

You'll let us know. :lol:

Roughwear

HHjackets said:
Roughwear said:
Jacket sold for £500 to someone in Japan.

that's what deeb said !

It really should have sold for more than this. However the fact the seller has zero feedback, did not include a range of photos or detailed measurements and only had £150 buyer protection counted against him.

asiamiles

Yes, I won this; I was the only bidder.

BUT...the seller just e-mailed me quoting a shipping price of £159.33 plus extra for insurance. Even taking into account the high price of sending things out from the UK this sounds like a serious case of over-pricing (or should I say ripping off the buyer?), and considering the seller's 0 feedback I shan't be paying that in a hurry. Can anyone tell me what's the approximate weight of an Irvin?

Roughwear

asiamiles said:

BUT...the seller just e-mailed me quoting a shipping price of £159.33 plus extra for insurance. Even taking into account the high price of sending things out from the UK this sounds like a serious case of over-pricing (or should I say ripping off the buyer?), and considering the seller's 0 feedback I shan't be paying that in a hurry. Can anyone tell me what's the approximate weight of an Irvin?

Way over the top! John is right, around £75 via Royal Mail. I have sent Irvins fully insured to the USA for £55. Clearly an Ebay novice or a man eagre to make money on the postage! BTW I hope you can take some decent pics of the jacket when it eventually arrives.

asiamiles

Roughwear said:
Way over the top! John is right, around £75 via Royal Mail. I have sent Irvins fully insured to the USA for £55. Clearly an Ebay novice or a man eagre to make money on the postage! BTW I hope you can take some decent pics of the jacket when it eventually arrives.
Thanks for that info....£55 sounds about what I expected. I had asked if he would declare it for a low value which he seemed happy to do but he was still charging an extra £9 for insuring it for £75. If I were to have it declared for the full value and have it fully insured I'd have to have it sent to HK in order to avoid charges here in Japan, but then I wouldn't be able to inspect the jacket for several weeks, which in itself would be a risk.

HHjackets

asiamiles said:
... he was still charging an extra £9 for insuring it for £75...

posting by parcelforce (since the weight is over 2kg), for eg: 3kg ==>
either International Datapost (From 3 days, From £74.85, Tracked) or Global Priority (From 4 days, From £66.50, Tracked)
both options include up to £150 insurance in the price of postage, to have it insured for £500 just add another £10 to the price of postage
the reason for the prices quoted 'From' is the postage might be more if the box is big ie volumetric weight is greater than the actual weight of the parcel. in this case they base the pricing calculation on the volumetric weight and you pay more !!
eg: a box which is 30cmx40cmx50cm and weighs 3kg would actually give volumetric weight 10kg, insured for £500 would cost you
International Datapost (Guaranteed 5 days, Up to £500, Tracked, £139.05)
Global Priority (Guaranteed 6 days, Up to £500, Tracked, £119.50)

asiamiles

The seller told me he was quoting DHL Door~Door in 3 Days. He also said the weight was 2.5kg.

That Global Priority option for £66.50 sounds acceptable; thanks for those quotes (of course, were this being being shipped from virtually anywhere else in the world (except Canada maybe) it would unquestionably be cheaper). Hopefully the seller will agree to this. Now all I have to decide is whether to go insured and have several weeks wait before I can inspect the jacket, or take a little risk and get my hands on the jacket right away.

asiamiles

For 2.5kg it seems Parcel Force offers the following options:
International Datapost (3 days, Trackable) £70.80
Global Priority (4 days, Trackable) £63.00
International Standard (7 days, Not Trackable) £48.40
All these include Compensation up to £150. Insurance for up to £500 costs £11.

Andrew

asiamiles said:

Miles, when you get it please post some good pics- if it really is NOS as he says i'd really like to see it. Should be really interesting.

asiamiles

Well, it seems (due to the size of the package, which the seller says he's made as small as possible) this is going to cost between £69 and £86.19 to have this shipped from England depending on speed (4~8 days)/insurance. If I were to send it from Japan to the UK, it would cost just upward of £30 for fully insured 3-day shipping. Parcel Force; what a rip-off!