• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

one to add to your collection maybe!

Roughwear

Very unusual to find a late War Irvin in this condition. I think its a smallish size, possibly a size 3.

John Lever

Could it be one of those plastic seam tape jobs ? I wonder how it has been stored, 50 years on hanger would be a disaster. Start price way too high IMO.

Roughwear

shanghai joe said:
Roughwear said:
johnny english said:
I wonder how much he paid for it new in 1953 ?

I understand they were sold off cheap after the War. Perhaps no more than £5.

yeah but consider the wages in 1953.........naw not born then!

Yes relatively expensive when you consider wages in those days, but of course cheap for us now!

Still he must have been pretty wealthy to buy it and not wear it for over 50 years.

I would have thought and un-worn as new original Irvin would be worth £500 now as that,s about the price of a decent repro

Roughwear

johnny english said:
Still he must have been pretty wealthy to buy it and not wear it for over 50 years.

I would have thought and un-worn as new original Irvin would be worth £500 now as that,s about the price of a decent repro

He may have simply forgotton about it or quickly out grown it! It is worth more than £500 and should sell for up to £800, but it is so hard to be sure these days.

TankBuster

From what I've heard, the labels were taken out before being sold to the public thru different surplus stores.

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
From what I've heard, the labels were taken out before being sold to the public thru different surplus stores.

That's correct Jeff. I suspect the AM label was removed before the jacket went to the surplus store. It was either an unissued jacket from an RAF depot or came direct from the maker. Just speculation of course. If only the jacket could talk!

Peter Graham

TankBuster said:
Thanks. I didn't know that. Is that the same reason that many A2's are minus their labels ?

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
TankBuster said:
Thanks. I didn't know that. Is that the same reason that many A2's are minus their labels ?

I have owned several A2s without labels. They were removed by the vets themselves, perhaps because they were still technically government property.

Many of the pre-1941 Irvin labels were removed from jackets and trousers on RAF orders in case they proved a security risk. Clues to the location of the makers' factories increased the risk of bombing. After 1941 makers' names were not put on Irvin labels.

shanghai joe

[
Yes relatively expensive when you consider wages in those days, but of course cheap for us now![/quote]

no way £5 for this babe!

asiamiles

The seller has zero feedback, and even using Paypal buyer would only protected for 150 pounds. Could be 100% genuine, but...?

Andrew

asiamiles said:
The seller has zero feedback, and even using Paypal buyer would only protected for 150 pounds. Could be 100% genuine, but...?

Could be a wicked wolf dressed up as a Granny!