• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One reason to buy repops ...

Thomas Koehle

well we had discussions about the pros 'n cons of reproductions vs original vintage jackets already before ...

beside availability of my size in originals, price and condition of "real" ones, preservation or use of period jackets aso, one reason for me to buy repops is coz i like to personalise and patch them. It is not about "posing" or even to pretend i would be real Army/Airforce personel, it is not about "Stolen Valour" or something it simply attracts me how individuals during any wars tried to make their gear "their own" or try to stand out of the uniformity of an whole Army consisting of hundreds of thousands of individuals. Compared to other Armies - especially WW2 - the armed forces of the United States where the ones with the widest variety or the most leeway to paint or personalise their uniforms and equipment (see noseart on WW2 planes).

G1 made by AVI size 46 - patches from EBAY
X7NsAqP.jpg

A2 made by 5Star custom size - patches made by @ties70
EqOYktC.jpg

dfITy1M.jpg

A2 made by "Noble House" size 44 - artwork @ties70
Id0RerA.jpg

yhg956P.jpg

A2 DONIGER by Star - bloodchit and chestpach made by Sean Collins, shoulderpatches @Miro
ytJ5Jzk.jpg

RoVfStl.jpg

G1 by 5Star - patch @Miro
M2tbPcK.jpg

ANJ3 by 5Star - patch by Steve McNeely
RTBoVPH.jpg

G1 in HH by 5Star - artwork by Steve McNeely
YB6cPsm.jpg

vRiurx6.jpg

jqmDM3n.jpg

hVocjwD.jpg

still more in my collection ...

All repops - no period jacket got destroyed - like 'em all

Last edited:

ausreenactor

well we had discussions about the pros 'n cons of reproductions vs original vintage jackets already before ...

beside availability of my size in originals, price and condition of "real" ones, preservation or use of period jackets aso, one reason for me to buy repops is coz i like to personalise and patch them. It is not about "posing" or even to pretend i would be real Army/Airforce personel, it is not about "Stolen Valour" or something it simply attracts me how individuals during any wars tried to make their gear "their own" or try to stand out of the uniformity of an whole Army consisting of hundreds of thousands of individuals. Compared to other Armies - especially WW2 - the armed forces of the United States where the ones with the widest variety or the most leeway to paint or personalise their uniforms and equipment (see noseart on WW2 planes).

X7NsAqP.jpg

EqOYktC.jpg

dfITy1M.jpg

Id0RerA.jpg

yhg956P.jpg

A2 DONIGER by Star - bloodchit and chestpach made by Sean Collins, shoulderpatches @Miro
ytJ5Jzk.jpg

RoVfStl.jpg

M2tbPcK.jpg

RTBoVPH.jpg

G1 by 5Star - artwork by Steve McNeely
YB6cPsm.jpg

vRiurx6.jpg

jqmDM3n.jpg

hVocjwD.jpg

Some robust value adding there...

Great art as well...

Spitfireace

X7NsAqP.jpg

EqOYktC.jpg

dfITy1M.jpg

Id0RerA.jpg

yhg956P.jpg

ytJ5Jzk.jpg

RoVfStl.jpg

M2tbPcK.jpg

RTBoVPH.jpg

G1 by 5Star - artwork by Steve McNeely
YB6cPsm.jpg

vRiurx6.jpg

jqmDM3n.jpg

hVocjwD.jpg

Cool to do what you want with it, but only the real is the real as we all know. Not to be a stickler, or maybe I am (I know I am), but what is up with the yellow undertones of a five star jacket? I think Wei brought this up?

Thomas Koehle

Cool to do what you want with it, but only the real is the real as we all know. Not to be a stickler, or maybe I am (I know I am), but what is up with the yellow undertones of a five star jacket? I think Wei brought this up?

There is nothing more "real" like a "real period jacket" - off coarse

i listed 5 of my 5Star jackets ... - which one do you refer to about a yellowish undertone?

Spitfireace

There is nothing more "real" like a "real period jacket" - off coarse

i listed 5 of my 5Star jackets ... - which one do you refer to about a yellowish undertone?
The last G-1 pic with Steve McNeely art patch on the chest. It's got an aged look to it, you accelerated the wear to the finish I presume. Where the finish is worn away the leather looks to be a tan or yellowish colour. I don't think the originals had that yellow undertone to them. It's a matter of opinion as to whether this is good or not. It's all in the eye of the wearer. MaydayWei was not happy with his five star doing this though, as there was a long thread about it. Some other people have noticed it as well. As I say though, it's a matter of personal taste, if you like it, then great.

tda003

All of my G-1s are original. That said, if I decide that I need a beater, It's not going to be my G-1 that I just had refinished. It'll be one of the less expense repros or even a goatskin 60's era G-1 with the Dynel replaced by mouton. I just can't bring myself to abuse my originals They have already gone through all of that that they need to. I will, though wear them around town, even in inclement weather. I think that there's a place for both and I don't feel the need to deprecate the repros or the work that goes into making them. In fact, I've just sent Shawn an e-mail asking him the difference in pile between his D-1, M-444 and M-445A. One of those is my next purchase.