• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One for the gun boys

ausreenactor

Would anyone be a member of the CMP at all? They have new M1903 Criterion barrels. I can get an exporter sorted through an importer here.

Happy to pay for barrel and any dealer transfers up front....

The new Christmas toy.. Denix M3 with Hudson M3A1stock.

20211229_111851.jpg

tda003

I have eft a message at the CMP sales office at Anniston, Alabama. As a note, they list '03 & '03A1 criterion barrels, each with a separate item number. Which are you interested in? I'm not an '03 Sringfield guru, so I don't know if they are interchangeable although they are threaded the same. Price is $199.95 USD. Don't know shipping cost to me. I'll update when I hear back from them.

ausreenactor

I have eft a message at the CMP sales office at Anniston, Alabama. As a note, they list '03 & '03A1 criterion barrels, each with a separate item number. Which are you interested in? I'm not an '03 Sringfield guru, so I don't know if they are interchangeable although they are threaded the same. Price is $199.95 USD. Don't know shipping cost to me. I'll update when I hear back from them.
You're a great American Sir!

The M1903... not the A3. Different contour at the receiver end.

ausreenactor

No rush. Becoming Mildura's second best 3P shooter will take years of practice... Ron and Alan may pass away in that time but 'Jacko' and Rohan are years younger than I am .... ;)

Appreciate the assistance!

tda003

Sorry, my mistake. It's '03A3. They both shoot quite well and, historically, very accurate. I'm a former Marine. The Corps was supplied with low serial numbered '03 Springfields (the ones that are described as dangerous to shoot due heat treatment and therefore not used by the Army who gave them to the Marines). However, you can look up "Hatcher hole". The Corps made them work and used them with great distinction through Guadalcanal. There are differences in some features between the two. Different sights - '03 had ladder-type mounted at the rear of the receiver and '03A3 with peep sights mounted at the receiver's front. The 03A3's came with both straight and C type ("pistol grip") stocks. '03 had straight stocks

mr_lits

I love my 1903, though it is far from original. Rock Island 1917 production. Solid rifle that will take down any animal in North America. It belonged to my grandfather and has had several lives and iterations over the years. I have taken more animals with it than any other rifle I own deer, moose and caribou. Functional, reliable, safe and highly accurate. Great brush gun especially up here where in the bush you might only have 100 yard views. The only downside is that really needs a reblue/Parkerize, it will rust if you look at it wrong.
2010-09-19 at 08-15-33.jpg

mr_lits

Here is a fun one from the collection.

Colt 1911 produced in 1914 for a contract with the Argentine Navy. It has been re-blued at some point in its life but is a great fun old weapon and a reliable shooter (though it really doesn't get shot much).

IMG_4021.jpg
IMG_4023.jpg

Chandler

@tda003 @ausreenactor @Otter -- FWIW, I have an 03A3 and a 1928 Sporter (NRA) that both shoot incredibly straight. Really terrific pieces to take to the range.

Unfortunately, the Sporter suffered a cracked stock some years ago (second owner) and the repair failed recently. I've been looking for a replacement for a while with no real luck.

@ausreenactor what's it take to own a 30-06 in Oz, let alone what's it cost to shoot one?

ausreenactor

@tda003 @ausreenactor @Otter -- FWIW, I have an 03A3 and a 1928 Sporter (NRA) that both shoot incredibly straight. Really terrific pieces to take to the range.

Unfortunately, the Sporter suffered a cracked stock some years ago (second owner) and the repair failed recently. I've been looking for a replacement for a while with no real luck.

@ausreenactor what's it take to own a 30-06 in Oz, let alone what's it cost to shoot one?

Bolt action Centrefire is generally easy to possess legally.

20 rounds of Remington Core -Lokt is around $1.80 a round.

I have 1000 Sierra Matthew King 190gr slugs to use... and 16lbs of powder for .308 and .30-06. Stocked up while I could get it easily.