• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One for the gun boys

Cocker

Have a Rockola, one of my most prized pieces. View attachment 76499

Took the Saginaw out on Sunday to have a look for the Easter Bunny. No luck, could only score some cardboard... :p

1650353802019.png

STEVE S.

Took the Saginaw out on Sunday to have a look for the Easter Bunny. No luck, could only score some cardboard... :p

View attachment 77958

when my grandad got the Rockola, it was one of those $3.50 purchases when you renewed your NRA membership. An uncle bought one too & it was a Saginaw. A cousin got it about 20 yrs ago & he’s dead now so don’t know what happened to it.

Chandler

when my grandad got the Rockola, it was one of those $3.50 purchases when you renewed your NRA membership. An uncle bought one too & it was a Saginaw. A cousin got it about 20 yrs ago & he’s dead now so don’t know what happened to it.
I have a couple old firearm magazines from the early or mid-60s that have ads for surplus rifles around those prices. Heart breaking.

Here's a 20 -- fill me up! :oops:

Cocker

Dangit... Dunno for how much they're going in the US now, but prices are coming up a lot for the M1 Carbines here. I was lucky I snagged mine for 400EUR about 7 years ago.

Well, my girlfriend snagged it for 400EUR as a Christmas gift for me, so... :p

Cocker

Yeah, at the time she bought it for me, a regular price for a good condition was already around 500EUR. Bear in mind the config in the picture is not exactly how it was when I got it. Basically, it has all the 43 features (high wood, flat bolt, push safety, L sight and early mag catch). I just swapped pieces to have a somewhat Korean War/Vietnam War model, seen everything can be changed back to original configuration easily.

MauldinFan

They have adjustable sighted, bayonet lugged M1s as WWII carbines? The flip sights and no lug were the WWII majority? Only a small percentage of Carbines had the adjustable sights.. and the bayonet lug wasn't introduced until May 1944..
And you'll see almost no photos of one with a bayonet lug in the ETO while the war was still going.
Mine was made by Inland, very early production. I got it in the early 90s, when original parts were easy to fund. It has all original everything, including a flat topped bolt and push button safety.

Attachments

• NewJeep1999.jpg
    NewJeep1999.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 101

ausreenactor

Lovely M1 Carbine. Whenever I see a photo of one I think of my dad.
He said he always kept one stowed close by in the B-26 in case they had to make an emergency landing in unfriendly territory.
The M1 Carbine is where it all started for me. As a 12yo Dad's Inland was the rockstar in many grainy Kodak pictures. THE Melbourne made M-41, some farby HBT trousers and a WWII surplus Aussie issued M-1 helmet. Fast forward 40 years and the love for that sleek little Carbine has never faded.

Would kill for a folding stock Denix!

MauldinFan

Lovely M1 Carbine. Whenever I see a photo of one I think of my dad.
He said he always kept one stowed close by in the B-26 in case they had to make an emergency landing in unfriendly territory.
A carbine was supposed to be issued to all USAAF bombers, but in real life, it didn't happen as often as the regs called for.
The only time it'd come in handy would be if the crew remained with it in a forced landing in enemy country, which very rarely happened.
Most of the time a bomber wasn't gonna make it's way back to friendly lines, you'd want to jump with a parachute. All those USAAF carbines had the full stocks, and without weapons cases, how would you jump out carrying one and not have to worry about it harming you on the opening or landing shocks, or get tangled in shroud lines?

Last edited:

Chandler

...how would you jump out carrying one and not have to worry about it harming you on the opening or landing shocks, or get tangled in shroud lines?
I have the solid feeling many guys would take the chance. I know I would in order to have another weapon (another, because I'm sure I'd have a .45 as well as, at least, one knife of some sort).

MauldinFan

I have the solid feeling many guys would take the chance. I know I would in order to have another weapon (another, because I'm sure I'd have a .45 as well as, at least, one knife of some sort).
Generally, most aircrew surrendered right away unless they were very close to their lines, in the ETO, anyway.
The alternative is the local civilians might pitchfork you to death once you ran out of ammo, or get shot by German soldaten. It's not like you could escape and evade on your own maybe over a hundred miles or more from your own ground forces.

B-Man2

That’s factually incorrect. A little fact checking on Google will provide more accurate information if anyone is interested .

35DC30B2-A234-4A29-99A5-013B9CAA1E29.png

Last edited:

Grant

My pop always said the thought of being captured by the North Koreans or Chinese was one of his worst fears.

ausreenactor

The M1 Carbine is where it all started for me. As a 12yo Dad's Inland was the rockstar in many grainy Kodak pictures. THE Melbourne made M-41, some farby HBT trousers and a WWII surplus Aussie issued M-1 helmet. Fast forward 40 years and the love for that sleek little Carbine has never faded.

Would kill for a folding stock Denix!
Good things come to those who wait...

Inbound..