• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One for my boy...

Micawber

My lad has his car and he has his daily bike but he can sometimes be found out in his shed come workshop rebuilding his old Matchless single. He's only got modern armoured gear so I thought I'd treat him to something so he can grab a few photos when he eventually finishes the old girl...

Not very old no but older than the suff he has...

20201230_130325.jpg

20201230_130303.jpg

20201230_130400.jpg

petermack09

I seem to remember when I bought my very 1st leather jackets in the early 70s,it was from rivetts in London.That jacket was called the highwayman.it was always advertised on the back pages of the motorcycle mags at the time,Lewis leather was the other company.I also bought a mascot jacket with the red quilt lining,I lived in those jackets for years,,size 34 if I remember correctly ,happy days :)

Micawber

I'm no expert in this stuff but Lewis Leathers are still going I believe, I remember they featured in the magazines dad bought back in the black and white days. I think he may have been disappointed that I never got into bikes going straight as I did onto four wheells with a roof and heather. I think Rivetts of Leytonstone went to the wall many moons ago.

Bombing IP

Nice write up Steve I also remember Rivetts growing up . Whats your boy working on a 350 G5 ? or something else . I remeber my uncles used to have a Matchless G80 him and his wife used to go from London to Dublin Ireland ,my aunt told me she would sleep most of the way on the back no sidecar .

BIP has left the building

Micawber

Yep, '60 G5 that he picked up locally. I encouraged him to buy it thinking he would plod about in the summer. Wrong! Within months he had gone out and splashed the cash on some bigger, faster, modern thing from the land of the rising sun.

20201230_174939.jpg

Nope, you'll never catch me on a bike, no sir....

20201230_175016.jpg

s4rmark

Sometimes they’re a bugger to kick over without one. I remember a few years ago I had a Honda xl600r trail bike. You couldn’t start it without the decompressor unless you were lucky to find tdc . Many a time it nearly launched me over the handlebars with the kickback!

Micawber

Sometimes they’re a bugger to kick over without one. I remember a few years ago I had a Honda xl600r trail bike. You couldn’t start it without the decompressor unless you were lucky to find tdc . Many a time it nearly launched me over the handlebars with the kickback!

Just checked - yes it is. I've not seen him get caught by kickback yet but its been a while since he has ridden it. Last time I saw him working on it he was replacing the head and cylinder gaskets, giving it a decoke and lapping in the valves so I'll make sure to have a phone or camera handy.
I m not sure if he has made much headway since as he has been at work a lot.