• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omega Flightmaster back (x2) from Omega, Bienne!

siddhartha

Administrator
Hey guys,

Just wanted to post an updated pic of my watch, back from Omega Bienne, for the second time. The first time I got it back (after about 10 months) didn't last long, as I noticed the blue GMT hand didn't operate reliably-sometimes the crown would move the hand, other times it wouldn't, and although I could position it the way I wanted, it really didn't sit well. I wanted the watch to be perfect.

So, I contacted a few local (US) people, who advised me to send it back to Omega. When you do a restoration like the one I did, it comes back with a 2-year warranty, so that's probably the best option. However, I wasn't looking forward to waiting another few months, so I asked via email if they might expedite the repair.

It took about 2 months total until I got it back last week, and here is the result (forgive the dust):
PICT3338.jpg

If you don't recall, this is what I originally sent them:
ast_0474.jpg

The yellow hands are an option, that are original to this watch-they are meant to luminesce in the IR light of the cockpit, and I really like the look. In fact, I found that they also luminesce brightly in UV light, and the effect is quite cool. The case finish is called sunburst, and it is quite hard to replicate, for anyone other than Bienne, and luckily mine didn't need any casework.

Originally, the watch would run, but the two crowns on the rt side of the case wouldn't operate, and would pull right out of the case. The timing function worked sporadically, and didn't always reset to 0 when I operated it. So, with the original repair, it came back cosmetically perfect, and mechanically, about 90%. Now, it's perfect again :)

Hopefully this is the last repair on this watch for a while. Frankly, I have done this process twice with Omega, and they've done fantastic work, but it does take a while. I have heard through the years that Omega sometimes runs out of parts for these Flightmasters, and I lucked out that they had every part I needed.

Chris

A

Anonymous

Fantastic watch. thanks for posting pics, I love that model. Does it keep acurate time?

siddhartha

Administrator
wing nut said:
Fantastic watch. thanks for posting pics, I love that model. Does it keep acurate time?

It does now!

These Flightmasters aren't COSC, in other words, they're not marketed to be the most accurate available, but I find that all of my Omegas, including the Speedmaster Pro (which shares the base movement) keeps time within about +5-7 sec/day.

Chris

siddhartha

Administrator
greyhound52 said:
Great watch and a great repair job. I should be getting my SMP 300 back from the shop this week.

Where did you send it off to?

That model was the first I sent off to Omega, Bienne, and was amazed at the job they did. Fantastic watch you have-is it the date or non-date model?

Chris

greyhound52

siddhartha said:
greyhound52 said:
Great watch and a great repair job. I should be getting my SMP 300 back from the shop this week.

Where did you send it off to?

That model was the first I sent off to Omega, Bienne, and was amazed at the job they did. Fantastic watch you have-is it the date or non-date model?

Chris

I sent it back to Watchco in Austraila since they had the parts. I have the date model and that is what broke the lever on the quick adjust and the ability to even turn the hands. Should have it today however I am in Ft. Bragg NC and the watch is at home in Calif. So will have to wear my Speedmaster. Here is a pic of the SMP

1980b.jpg

And what I am wearing now.
OMG1245.jpg

markc

Oooh - the Speedy Racing Chrono - one of my all time faves! Just lovely - you lucky, lucky man!

Cheers,