• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Older Avirex - Cowhide?

CoopDog

Okay, so as you know, I am a newbie here. Still experimenting with sizes and fit and color, and leather types before I take the big plunge for a quality repro. I picked up this Avirex on Ebay in size 46 for $60 delivered! I bought it for two reasons. First, I have another cheap Avirex in size 44 that is a tight fit. I wanted to see what the next size up fits like. When I find what is the perfect fit, I will measure the jacket and know what are my personal requirements for: pit to pit, shoulder to cuff, back length, shoulder to shoulder. Then, I should be ready to buy a quality repro. without getting burned with a wrong size. I have learned that the marked size means nothing.

The other reason I bought this jacket is that it did not look like goatskin in the photos on Ebay and I wanted to try another kind of leather. So, it has arrived and has no "Genuine Goatskin" or ""Genuine Horsehide" label. It has what I think is the older Avirex style hanger loop. From the way it looks to me (and I am certainly no expert on leathers) it appears to be cowhide. It's definitely not lambskin and I don't think it is goatskin because I have another jacket that is definitely goatskin and this one is different. So, I think it is cowhide. I must say, I rather like this leather, and prefer it to goatskin. Also, I like the way the jacket fits. It is well broken-in, but not overly worn, and the color is nice and dark and uniform, not faded in spots like my previous goatskin purchase.

I haven't tried out a horsehide jacket yet to experience that type of leather, but I have to say cowhide is not a bad leather, just not what was supposed to be used in original A-2's. I have seen Horween's discussion of the comparison between horsehide and cowhide and they don't seem to prefer one over the other. If anything, they think cowhide is more uniform and sometimes easier to work with.

Cowhide.jpg

CoopDog

I got my son an Avirex A2 that is horsehide! They made some really nice jackets in the 70's/80's from what I've seen. Found a NOS jacket in horse for $75. It has a tag too stating this...

Nice! I was hoping for a horsehide, but I am happy with what I got.

Tom Bowers

they started out in cowhide, but most of their regular jackets were goatskin

Later they introduced a horsehide version which is normally marked with a special tag in the lining

your new one looks very similar to mine and is probably goatskin

CoopDog

your new one looks very similar to mine and is probably goatskin

Maybe, but it looks/feels different than two other goatskin Avirex's I have seen, both of which had the "Genuine Goatskin" tags. It is smoother, less pebbled. But, whatever it is, I kinda like it. It will keep me happy for a while until I save up for quality horeshide from a more reputable manufacturer of repros.

B-Man2

Okay, so as you know, I am a newbie here. Still experimenting with sizes and fit and color, and leather types before I take the big plunge for a quality repro. I picked up this Avirex on Ebay in size 46 for $60 delivered! I bought it for two reasons. First, I have another cheap Avirex in size 44 that is a tight fit. I wanted to see what the next size up fits like. When I find what is the perfect fit, I will measure the jacket and know what are my personal requirements for: pit to pit, shoulder to cuff, back length, shoulder to shoulder. Then, I should be ready to buy a quality repro. without getting burned with a wrong size. I have learned that the marked size means nothing.

The other reason I bought this jacket is that it did not look like goatskin in the photos on Ebay and I wanted to try another kind of leather. So, it has arrived and has no "Genuine Goatskin" or ""Genuine Horsehide" label. It has what I think is the older Avirex style hanger loop. From the way it looks to me (and I am certainly no expert on leathers) it appears to be cowhide. It's definitely not lambskin and I don't think it is goatskin because I have another jacket that is definitely goatskin and this one is different. So, I think it is cowhide. I must say, I rather like this leather, and prefer it to goatskin. Also, I like the way the jacket fits. It is well broken-in, but not overly worn, and the color is nice and dark and uniform, not faded in spots like my previous goatskin purchase.

I haven't tried out a horsehide jacket yet to experience that type of leather, but I have to say cowhide is not a bad leather, just not what was supposed to be used in original A-2's. I have seen Horween's discussion of the comparison between horsehide and cowhide and they don't seem to prefer one over the other. If anything, they think cowhide is more uniform and sometimes easier to work with.

View attachment 28379
Hi Coop
You have every right to be happy with your new jacket even though it’s not horsehide .
I was surprised to find out that many of the A2 contracts we always thought of as being made from horsehide, were actually made from cowhide. If you ever have a chance to read or see Gary Eastmans A2 Manual you will probably be as shocked as I was to read about it.
cheers

CoopDog

Some parts, including the sleeves, pockets and collar are very smooth, suggesting cowhide. A few parts of the jacket look a little goatskin-like, but the overall look is different. But, I like it. Waiting for some cold weather down here in FLA so I can wear it.

jeremiah

Yes. Would be my guess too. I have seen some goat that’s smoother than the majority but in the end it’s still pretty distinguishable as goat.

mulceber

Nice find, especially at that price. Aren’t Avirex the only ones in the market using chrome tanning, pigment finish? If so, then the Leather’s about as close as you can get to an original.

I’ve always liked a good cowhide. My experience has been that it’s warmer than horse. I can wear my badalassi Dubow in weather where I wouldn’t even think of wearing a horsehide jacket.

Juanito

Damn you know what this could be horse. All of the early Avirex horse I have owned had that same pocket flap, the standard cow and goat had the more rounded flap on the pocket.
That is correct. The horsehide MacArthur jacket had a distinctly different pocket flap with the sharp edges.

Juanito

Nice find, especially at that price. Aren’t Avirex the only ones in the market using chrome tanning, pigment finish? If so, then the Leather’s about as close as you can get to an original.
There are lots of them...Avirex, Cooper, Lost Worlds, U.S. Authentic, Flight Apparal Industries, U.S. Wings and most modern "low end" jackets are chrome tanned and pigment finished. The list goes on and on. I don't know of S&M Wholesale is or not, but there are far more of these that the "...veg tanned, just like 1941" jackets proffered as exactly like originals.

mulceber

Sorry, should have been more specific: when I said “the only one,” I meant among A-2 repros that people on here will buy. Didn’t know about Lost Worlds though. Thanks for pointing that out.