• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old & Tired, But What Is It?

bazelot

you should keep the label that you currently have in your jacket. it is unique and this is what sets this jacket apart from the other ones. i originally thought your overpaid for that jacket but seeing the label it was worth the money you paid and then some.

2BM2K

The label is unique, keep it.
The Dubow 27798 used purple knits and also brown knits.
The Dubow 23379 used mid brown knits.

tda003

I just spoke with Dena at Great Leather. She pulled this thread up while we spoke. She says that she has the correct cuffs and waistband for this jacket and can repair the cracks in the collar. I'll be sending it to her soon-ish along with the zipper. There's more to discover on this jacket I think. For example, on the next to last photo I posted, there's what looks like another paint splatter. However, looking closer, I believe it's the remainder of a painted on patch or artwork. Looking VERY carefully, I can see what I believe is the last vestiges of it's shape, although there's not enough left for me to resurrect it.

tda003

Unless maybe this.
USAAF.A-2.Art.jpg

Chandler

I just spoke with Dena at Great Leather. She pulled this thread up while we spoke. She says that she has the correct cuffs and waistband for this jacket and can repair the cracks in the collar. I'll be sending it to her soon-ish along with the zipper. There's more to discover on this jacket I think. For example, on the next to last photo I posted, there's what looks like another paint splatter. However, looking closer, I believe it's the remainder of a painted on patch or artwork. Looking VERY carefully, I can see what I believe is the last vestiges of it's shape, although there's not enough left for me to resurrect it.
Can't wait to see the results.

tda003

What lining would the depot have used on the refurb and would it have had the inked printing found on new A-2 jackets? Will want to let Dena know.

Also, who could apply the "meatball? Thanks

P-47 thunderbolt

Lining I believe would be the standard orange or mustard cotton. This would have had an ink stamp, I have noticed this in black or white. Some jackets that have been through a depot even have two stamps.
You can do the meatball yourself, they can be ordered from MASH or even original NOS from ebay

tda003

Re-capping what I see happening now:
1) Replace knits.
2) Repair/restore leather.
3) Replace lining with stamped lining and re-apply existing label.
4) Re-dye.
5) Have USAAF reapplied on left sleeve. (It may have to be painted on as there don't seem to be OEM or reproduction decals.)
6) Replace left side of zipper.

This should bring it back to the way it left the depot after refurbishing.

Any other suggestions. Please jump in. "God is in the details." - I. Pei

Last edited:

tda003

Guessing at the cost when complete as a lot more than even an exceptional dinner date but WAY less than a divorce.

Chandler

You sure you want to re-dye? You might ask Dena her opinion, but if you can rejuvenate the hide it may maintain a nice patina and not need a re-dye.

tda003

I'll think about that. My original thought was to have it look like it did coming out of the depot refurbishment, but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

tda003

1. I ordered the appropriate decal for the jacket. The seller states that I need to use " leather/decal glue" to apply it. What is it and where do I get it?
2. I'll talk to Dena and ask her to treat/restore the leather first and see what it looks like. She'll have to repair the cracks on the collar first. If it looks good I'll keep it that way. If that doesn't work, I'll have it re-dyed. If I don't re-dye, I'll have to find a way to age the decal.

Keep in mind that this A-2 is a fairly unique example. There don't appear to be many depot refurbs around. I intend to keep that look. If I just wanted a restored original, this is not the one I would have chosen to start with. I expect I could find a restorable version in better shape for a good bit less than this will end up costing after all is said and done.

FWIW, the pit to pit measurement is 21 1/2 inches. No idea what that translates to in terms of a Dubow A-2 size.

Last edited:

tda003

Guess I was wrong about cost. I ran across this on Etsy when searching "W535-AC-23379". It's in remarkably good condition. Asking is $2000.00. I'll have less than that in mine when all is said and done. I'm enclosing photos of the label and shoulder patch. As to the decal I bought, I've acquired the proper glue to attach it and the attached photo shows me what a worn decal should look like.

I know I posted a lot about this jacket but "A-2" is a new category for me. I'm a G-1 guy who just located 2 Korean War era G-1's in exceptional shape.

Oops I forgot to attach photos.
A-2. dubow.shoulder.decal.1.jpg
A-2.Dubow. W535-AC-23379.label.jpg

Last edited:

tda003

The Jacket came back from Gena at Great Leather. After discussion we determined that it didn't look very good after cleaning the leather and re-dyed it. Second re-dye. The left side zipper was replaced with one I had. The decal was added, too.
Some pics.
R.A-2.1.jpg
R.A-2.2.jpg
R.A-2.3.jpg

Last edited: