• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old & Tired, But What Is It?

tda003

Thoughts about who made it? As to restoration: left side zipper, collar, at least one pocket flap, lining, cuffs and waistband. Anything else come to mind?

2BM2K

Looks to be a Dubow 27798 due to the collar shape and that the snaps seem to be RAU. If you look on the inside of the packet the snaps should be marked as RAU.

The leather looks reasonable, I'm not sure that the packet flap needs restoring, I can only see one small hole?

B-Man2

Before I attempted anything I’d address the dryness of the hide . A light coat of Pecards or leather rejuvenator creme would do wonders to restore the jacket and make it more supple so you could work on it without fear of doing it any further damage .

tda003

Sorry. Thought I'd posted pics of label. It, too, is rough.
A-2.label.1.jpg
A-2.label.2.jpg

Spitfireace

Before I attempted anything I’d address the dryness of the hide . A light coat of Pecards or leather rejuvenator creme would do wonders to restore the jacket and make it more supple so you could work on it without fear of doing it any further damage .
"Vasoline"

tda003

I expect the label is simply what they had lying around the depot when it was rebuilt just to I'd it as USAAF property. Don't know, though. A-2 jackets are not in my skill set.

tda003

Once I find and assemble the pieces, I intend to ship this to Dena at Great Leather. Replacing a collar and pocket flap and accompanying snaps, etc, are well beyond my abilities.

Micawber

If mine I would want to get some rehydration back into that leather as well as a sympathetic surface clean.

MediumMech

I'm very interested to see how this project turns out. I'm no expert, but it seems like you have a very serviceable jacket core there. I'll go with the consensus and say this looks Dubow-ish to me. Although, the epaulets look somewhat tapered in the photos, and my (limited) understanding is that Dubow's have a purely rectangular epaulet.

2BM2K

According to the Eastman manual only a few contracts used RAU snaps. Of these the best matches are the Dubow 27798 and Dubow 23379 (they are very similar designs).

tda003

Going thru my zipper stash, I came across this one. I expect it's a repro, but wondered if the non-pull side (left side on the jacket) of this zipper would work as a replacement for the damaged part of the zipper or, alternatively as a full replacement and using the original pull.

tda003

I have left a message & email w/ John @ GW (time zone difference). While on his web site, I looked at the various cuffs he offers. He states that the correct cuffs for Dubow are "dull purple". I realize that the cuffs on my jacket are replacements and not purple. I can use advice on whether to order Dubow cuffs or cuffs that match the replacements currently on it. Thanks.

tda003

I just rechecked the label on my jacket. The worn printing at the top is barely legible, but I can make out "30-1415", making this a Dubow 23379. Now the quandary - restore to original or restore to USAAF repair. Thoughts. Also can the leather ever regain its original russet color?