• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old & Tired, But What Is It?

tda003

Looking back over previous posts to this thread, if the lining, cuffs and waistband have been replaced, there doesn't seem to be the need of salvaging them ad there would be if they were original to the jacket. Any good source(s) for them?

tda003

The jacket came today. I'll post pictures over the weekend. I'm actually quite impressed. I don't often find things my age in worse shape than me. This likely is. I'd say the cuffs, waistband, lining and zipper are toast. The leather is stiff. There is cracking around the collar where it folds over. The cuffs, at least, have been replaced and possibly the waistband. Inasmuch as the indecipherable label has been replaced I expect that the lining was also replaced. It may have been re-dyed.

Other than that, it appears mint.

tda003

I think that once I assemble the correct replacement cuffs, waistband, lining and zipper, I'll send it to Dena at Great Leather. I believe this old vet can be restored if properly repaired, but it's past my confidence level. It would be a shame if I ruined this survivor through ignorance.
I don't think that I want to restore it to its original condition, but rather the way it came out of it's depot repair. (Same make cuffs, zipper, waistband, lining, etc. and using its current label. I'll put out feelers to see if I can "raise" the data on the label. It, too, is rough.

Chandler

I think that once I assemble the correct replacement cuffs, waistband, lining and zipper, I'll send it to Dena at Great Leather.
Doesn't Dena have good replacement knits at her place? Or are you looking for vintage/authentic?

Smithy

For replacement parts try Dave, John at GW as a first off?!

Blackrat is right, if you really want the best get in touch with John. MASH are very good too. Larry's knits which are easily bought on Ebay too - some would argue that they're not quite to the same level as John's or MASH's but I've bought them before and they're very hardwearing and look good too.

tda003

I thought that I 'd like to do the restoration using correct the same original parts as the rebuild used. I want to get it as close to what it looked like when rebuilt and re-issued as possible. Looking at it, there are no stitch mark's, indicating that neither name tag nor patches were ever sewn on it. So it was issued to at least two people, likely air crew I expect, worn hard and put away wet - not a nice thing to do to any horse.

tda003

Starting some pictures of this jacket. I'm looking for any input, knowledge, suggestions, comments, etc. Zipper pics:
A-2.zipper.1.jpg
A-2.zipper.1.jpg
A-2.zipper.2.jpg
A-2.zipper.left.1.jpg
A-2.zipper.reverse.jpg
A-2.zipper.top.right.1.jpg

Chandler

I've seen much worse wear on vintage collars than that. This hide is gonna suck up any sort of leather treatment, but I'll bet you've got a nice example on your hands.