• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old & Tired, But What Is It?

tda003

I'm generally not an A-2 person, but this piqued my interest - probably because like me, it's seen better days. What exactly am I looking at?
A2Maybe.1.jpg
A2Maybe.1.jpg
A2Maybe.2.jpg

Attachments

• A2Maybe.3.jpg
    A2Maybe.3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 157

mulceber

The pocket flaps say Rough Wear to me, but with that collar and the shape of the box-stitching on the epaulets, I'd say Dubow, one that's had a re-dye and at some point had the knits and liner replaced. Based on the nickle bell talon zipper, I'd say it's the 27798 contract.

mulceber

Sort of hard to say what the condition is from the pics. If it's a reasonable price, why not? Worst case scenario, it's a display piece. Best case, you've got an occasional wearer.

Dany McDonald

Well yes, but no if you can spot rot. Sorry to differ here but in my humble experience, rot on leather is not salvageable. Yon get away with mildew and a multitude of other little irritants but rot will disintegrate when wet, under stress... etc

Not a problem when it's a display piece.

My two cents to take with a grain of salt... ;)

Dany

B-Man2

Well yes, but no if you can spot rot. Sorry to differ here but in my humble experience, rot on leather is not salvageable. Yon get away with mildew and a multitude of other little irritants but rot will disintegrate when wet, under stress... etc

Not a problem when it's a display piece.

My two cents to take with a grain of salt... ;)

Dany
Spot on Dany
In a case like that, the rotted panel would have to be removed and replaced with a closely matching piece of aged hide of similar type .

B-Man2

I guess I'll find out if I win it.
Here’s an analogy that I learned a while back regarding rehabbing a jacket …. Is like stepping into a big puddle of dark water. You can’t tell how deep the puddle is until you’ve stepped into it. By that time it’s too late .
MEANING : You can’t tell how much time , labor and money it’s going to take to rehab a jacket until you bought it and have it in hand or take it to a skilled craftsman for his analysis of the jacket . It could be $50.00 or $500.00 . But either way your standing in the middle of that puddle .

tda003

I've posted the only images available. The bottom line is that if I win for what I've bid and the jacket is a disaster, well, I've blown far more money than that on some seriously bad dates. You buys your ticket and you takes your chances.

Dany McDonald

I've posted the only images available. The bottom line is that if I win for what I've bid and the jacket is a disaster, well, I've blown far more money than that on some seriously bad dates. You buys your ticket and you takes your chances.

Yes, totally okay, it's fun to bid and have fun too!

Look I am looking to replace the collar of my original 27798 (yep rotted), so if you hit a deep puddle, hit me. ;)

Have fun!

Dany

Smithy

rot on leather is not salvageable.

Exactly. You can consolidate rot with Klucel G or the like (we had several bits of flying kit and clothing at the museum which had it) but then it ideally has to also be stored in a humidity and UV controlled environment to retard the rot.

Leather with rot is entirely unwearable because it will fall apart.

tda003

Didn't actually intend to wear it. I live quite close to Eglin AFB and thought I might find out if there's an interest in one of the AF museums for it.

tda003

Still sorting the zippers. Looking for a knowledgeable member who can identify the 3 different G-1 waistbands in the box.

tda003

I've been outbid. Back to me at $200.00 + 25% and over 15 days left. I think I'll just wait. Not getting in a 15 day bidding war on a 1st date.