• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Of the use of the A2 jacket in the Army during WWII

B-Man2

Would you be satisfied with a USMC grunt wearing a navy deck jacket? Because it happened occasionally, I’m not sure why you can’t wrap your head around the facts that we are giving you. Here’s the bottom line ... guys were resourceful if they wanted a piece of kit or gear they’d trade , barter or appropriate that item . Sailors had specialized gear that the USMC and US Army guys didn’t have. So it was a well known fact that sailors would trade anything to get their hands on a Samurai sword or Japanese flag . I’m puzzled that you reject this as happening or that you will only accept that statement if there’s photographic proof to substantiate it. Anyway I’m done trying to convince you, good luck with your search and any other questions you have.
Cheers

Smithy

Don't forget that the Norwegian government in exiled purchased A-2 jackets for their airmen who were issued them whilst under training in Canada at Little Norway. Subsequently they were extensively used operationally by Norwegians in the RAF. There was especially prolific use in 331 and 332 Sqns.

A perfect example of non-USAAF, let alone, non-US use.

Adama36

I am not rejecting the fact that this has happened.

As military jacket afficionado, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread collecting this type of pictures on the forum. That's it .

mulceber

Okay, if that's what you're trying to do, that's fine, but I don't think you're going about it in the right way. So far you've mostly been challenging us to find examples, and then dismissing ones that don't meet your guidelines (guidelines that seem a bit idiosyncratic). This leaves a lot of us perplexed and thinking that you either doubt what we're saying or that you're trying to get us to do your work for you.

I think this project you have in mind would get a much better reception if YOU went out, found a bunch of pictures of gear being used by people other than its intended recipients, posted them, and then invited others to post any pictures they have.

jimmy greene

The First Special Service Force was issued A-2
91497557_3583352551737191_1110019716237230080_o.jpg
90352697_3583352398403873_172475574390882304_n.jpg
90589862_3583335991738847_6993494397673275392_o.jpg
90755518_3583352408403872_79946637211860992_n.jpg

Silver Surfer

I like this thread, and the new old. Many years ago I purchased a pookie a-2 from a guy who had gotten it from his mom. According to the fella I got it from, his mom had been given it by her beau, a fighter pilot, when he went out on a mission. The pilot did not come back, and the gal kept, and wore the a-2 through out the war. The story had smell provenience, as it still smelled of not expensive perfume right into the late 90s. after a short while I had to move the jacket on, as I just couldn’t get rid of the perfume smell.

John Luder

Hello, All,
I posted a question, in this vein, a week or two ago on the What are you Wearing thread.
I showed pix from 1944's Crash Dive, with Tyrone Power, Dana Andrews, and Harry Morgan, among others, as officers wearing A2s on a sub in the Atlantic.
I also posted a pic from Destination Tokyo, but one of our chums pointed out that it was a Scully Bros, made in Los Angeles, civilian model with external snaps on the pockets and gusseted sleeves.
Crash Dive was made with Navy assistance, I dare say, direction, (similar to Wing and a Prayer) as they had a dedicated 'radio and motion picture liaison' officer posted in LA. The services were all rather persnickety about procedures/uniforms, and how they was portrayed in those days.
The A-2s were all shiny new seal brown with dark knits, the movie was made in color, not colorized.
I had been told by one whose assessment I trusted, that PT boat and sub officers were issued A-2s. He's no longer available for a citation to some authority.
I can't confirm this, and Crash Dive is the only documentary evidence I've been able to come up with.
As a parallel inquiry to the Navy supplying the A-2, does anyone know if Scully made their models, or "standardized" models for the AAF?
Thanks,
John