• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylon Jackets from DD & GW

B-Man2

Exactly my point. The vitriol started over there, and was actually a shock to me.. It’s all quite silly

Agreed! ..
The gentleman is entitled to his opinion, however he fails to address the element of "Free Will".
If customers didn't like your products you wouldn't be in business.
He meanwhile has the right to choose another jacket of lesser cost with whatever he accessories he likes.
(Musta been you that pissed on his corn flakes!);)

Smithy

That's the first time I've been over to TFL for months and that's quite some hissy-fit in that thread, and all about a new jacket offering. It was bad form of Charles with his comments too, they smacked of sour grapes about new competition, would've be a darn sight more gentlemanly to wish the new fellow on the block well and let products speak for themselves. That's one of the things I've always liked about JC and Gary, you don't see them making sarky remarks on public fora or slagging off the competition, they just quietly go about their business.

At the end of the day if you like something buy it, if you don't, then don't. The whole thing is all a bit puerile really.

Smithy

BTW DD, did you do something to that guy? It all seemed very personal, you didn't pinch his girlfriend from him at highschool or fleece him at poker :)

DiamondDave

BTW DD, did you do something to that guy? It all seemed very personal, you didn't pinch his girlfriend from him at highschool or fleece him at poker :)

Apparently it goes back to some dispute over jackets and patches concerning Sean Collins, JC and myself. I truly think he is mentally ill.

DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocker

Thanks for the clarification, Dave.

And I strongly concur with B-Man2: if we can get an L-2A jacket If the jacket can either be made to specs to satisfy the most detail oriented folks among us, and also made to fit as requested... Well, sounds like a great deal to me.

johnwayne

Crikey, read the FL diatribe last night and it sent me to sleep! As has been said, it's all so un-necessary and surely these forums are primarily for like minded people, sharing similar tastes and moreover a passion. I just re-read both GW and DD's website intro's and can't think of any anything that might convey their passion better, they certainly don't claim 'to be the best' or better than others either but tell it like it is. All I would add is that of all my jackets, original or repro, leather, cloth or nylon, then my GW A2 felt so right from the first try on 'till today in every respect and if that makes me sound biased or fan of JC then so be it but does not prevent me applauding the great stuff from Aero, ELC and DD too despite not owning one from the latter - if I didn't have too many jackets already I'd have placed an order for the Monarch B15c mod by now!!

colekwok

Regarding the length of L2 jackets and it's variants.... I am pretty sure that the lengths of my original L-2Bs are all over the place. They are either size 38 or medium, and of different versions, but one (D version?) is simply unwearable as it is extremely short, the oldest contract with the black tag is surprisingly proportional.

The problem of the hat forum these days is because there are several groups of fan boys over there, fighting against each other; and in most cases, getting a bit too personal. Some are justifying their own brand loyalties, some are simply trying to show off; and it is simply difficult to find objective comments these days over there with the toxic atmosphere. Needless to say, whatever brands of jackets that they try to discuss, they will all end up with either recommendation or comparison to the few selected brands. What's the point?

B-Man2

The moderator finally had to lock down the thread.
Got a little nasty over there.
What they all overlooked is what the Kardashians discovered a long time ago;
Good or Bad...Publicity is still Publicity ........and it sells!;)
How about it Double D!

DiamondDave

The moderator finally had to lock down the thread.
Got a little nasty over there.
What they all overlooked is what the Kardashians discovered a long time ago;
Good or Bad...Publicity is still Publicity ........and it sells!;)
How about it Double D!

Lol! While I think it’s funny, I’m not really into trashing anyone. I like happy coexistence (I was a very angry young man). That said however, I hate to see my name sullied, simply because we once disagreed with a person who clearly has mental problems.

I have long had detractors over there, as I made mistakes early on, but what I find most hilarious is that in these peoples minds no one has the ability to change and grow, or indeed hone their craft. “If #1 was bad, then certainly #100 must still be bad.” I call BS! I have learned a ton in making my first 106 A-2 jackets, and spent many an hour getting advice and guidance from JC, I’m sure to a point of irritation on his part. Lol!

DD

CBI

all forums with anonymous members rust the risk of things going south quickly and they frequently do.

I post less and less convinced that its not really ever worth it.

johnwayne

Reading today, this months UK GQ mag and therein I see Tommy Hilfiger like all others it seems have an MA1/L2a/?? hybrid for the grand sum of £370 - wow, must rush out and get one now, hmm wonder if they'll adjust the length or sleeves if it doesn't quite feel right?!!

dmar836

One thing I have always respected about both DD and JC is that they show great restraint with such silliness. It is interesting how they pile on over there repeating things misquoted from this very thread. I noticed that guy didn't cut and paste what hateful things he claims DD said about him here but cut and pasted everything else. Then accused others of wanting to talk about him rather than jacket accuracy. For some reason he just wanted to coalition build once his point was made.
And ELC, to me, has been the king of "you never know what you'll get". I'm not sure if their rep should be commenting much on consistently correct patterns. Didn't they build such a following on the "House A-2"?
To the point, I think it's easy to see that the 3" addition to the L2 was openly advertised and discussed both on the web page and this thread. No one mentioned "IT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANT!" This is a business. There are plenty of makers, most I'd say, who have adjusted patterns at some point with none of this venomous reaction. Bespoke jackets are just that and apparently ELC no longer does bespoke jackets. We won't go into their rebranded and marked up caps. Sure glad they invented Nylon.
The nice guys gain a following and the jerks don't. Hard to fight that with more jerkiness.
JMO,
Dave

dmar836

Another thing. If you posted original AAF shots of the variety of ill fitting A-2s and nylon over there but conceal them as modern pics, those same guys would likely identify them as fakes.
Dave

ButteMT61

The guy has it out for JC and/or DD. What an ass - and sorry if you're reading this dude, but that thread was stupid.
Aero now make newer lines of the classic jackets with a nod to a trimmer fit, inter alia. I don't see them hammering Aero over this.
It's BS - don't know what his (and others) grudge is, but it's very apparent it's personal. And sad for a grown man.

DiamondDave

Gents,

Lastly, since I know those guys will be skulking about here and reading this, I can also say that before putting these jackets together, we found the original specs as sent out to the makers

MIL-J-5391A USAF spec. from October 1950 with all the details and tables of how to build an L-2A. JS!

DD

ButteMT61

I don't think you need to keep on with this defense, Dave. There was nothing being said that would have them change their minds on it. There is creative license taken all over the TFL, and it's just mainly one guy who has a bug up his ass about you guys.
Why? I have no clue, but it's obviously very strong.

I was away for a while helping my father and his wife - they lost EVERYTHING in the NorCal fires. Everything but themselves, the clothes they were wearing, and their pets that they managed to save. Until you face something like that, true sorrow is never understood.
So keep making jackets and carry on. I have no time for people that act out on the 'net. I'm over it from whatever side it comes from. Life is short, and it's more enjoyable when you filter the bullshit.

ButteMT61

One other point I was thinking about last night. The average body size of American (US jackets) men has gone up significantly since WWII and even later years. The US Military would be likewise making jackets larger to accommodate this. So to me, the size thing is a BS false flag to get in jabs on these guys.
Out.

Rutger

Well, the guy is obviously deeply in love with himself.

Anyway, I find the many cold weather types BR's I own a bit short in the back, I have to upsize to prevent a cold back but end up with the arms being slightly too long.
I don't have that problem with the summer type BR's. Anyway, look at the pictures from way back and you'll see the one size too small one size too large everywhere on USAF pictures.

Interestingly, the CWU-36 en 45 are indeed better cut for the modern man.

DiamondDave

Gents,

I have decided to extend the introductory offer on these jackets as follows.

L-2A $399 (MSRP $499)
Monarch (OD) B-15C $599 (MSRP $699)

And lastly, I have just received a good sized shipment of Seal Brown Vicenza Horsehide from Italy and am offering any of my A-2 contracts for $949 (MSRP $1049) in this hide.

All offers are good from now through Cyber-Monday.

Ciao for now

DD