• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Goodwear...And Not Vintage...But...

Atticus

...if you want a warm, comfortable, inexpensive jacket that looks decent with jeans or khakis, check this out.

KGrHqVHJBsE7y7Zqv1bBPEhCtTvKw60_3-1.jpg

This is a modern, nomex USN deck jacket. I think it may have replaced the old A-2 deck jacket. It doesn't seem to have a name other than "Jacket, Shipboard, Cold Weather, Flame Retardant", but in my opinion, these jackets are a great value at current ebay prices. I paid a little more than average for this one, probably because of its excellent condition and the carrier number printed on the back, but more than average translates to $29.99 and shipping. I've seen them go for ten and fifteen bucks.

AF

Atticus

I'm not trying to sell folks on these jackets, but I was more than a little impressed with the quality and comfort of these things. They are not windbreakers, which was what I originally thought. They are very thick, well insulated, substantial jackets...they kinda remind me of a cloth B-15C without the mouton collar.

I've always liked deck jackets. In cold weather I wear my A-2 deck jackets probably as much or more than any other jackets I have. I recently snagged a 1996 A-2, which differs from the Vietnam-era jacket in that it is nomex, lacks windflap buttons (velcro, instead) and is blue as opposed to 107 OD. I liked it, so I decided to take a chance on the current issue jacket, too. I figured the prices are so low it really wouldn't be much of a gamble. As I said...I'm impressed with what showed up in the mail.

AF

Atticus

...by the way, of course CVN-76 is the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan. I'm now on the lookout for a deck jacket bearing the number of the Navy's newest capital ship, the William Clinton...CVN-6969.

AF

Peter Graham

I like it, and not too military looking either so my wife might even approve, which would be a first. :roll:

Atticus

Peter Graham said:
I like it, and not too military looking either so my wife might even approve, which would be a first. :roll:
They do have a Velcro receiver on the left chest...like new A-2s and CWUs. But that's a quick fix. Otherwise, unless they're stenciled up, they just look like civilian jackets. But I kinda like the markings sometimes found on deck jackets. One of mine has "USN" over the chest pocket. Another has "I LIKE IKE" over the pocket and the USS Eisenhower’s number stenciled on the back.

AF

Cobblers161

Not a bad jacket at all and for the price an absolute steal. I've gathered together a small collection of the od A-2's, it's a perfect winter jacket, can even sneak an air force A-2 underneath. My first though was a blue nomex job a couple of years ago with LSD stencilled on the back. I had to have that one! :D

RCSignals

Atticus said:
Peter Graham said:
They do have a Velcro receiver on the left chest...like new A-2s and CWUs. But that's a quick fix. Otherwise, unless they're stenciled up, they just look like civilian jackets. But I kinda like the markings sometimes found on deck jackets. One of mine has "USN" over the chest pocket. Another has "I LIKE IKE" over the pocket and the USS Eisenhower’s number stenciled on the back.

AF

What does CVN6969 have stenciled over the chest pocket?

ButteMT61

AF - the pic is broken.

I just bought a 50's French Deck Jacket in big guy size for a song. It's similar in materials to the US versions and looks to be very warm.
I'll post up some pics in a bit - haven't received it yet.

P2110993_zps4bc442c8.jpg

P2110986_zps04135955.jpg

P2110988_zps196d5721.jpg

P2110992_zps2c374e6f.jpg

P2110987_zpsb11032e4.jpg

P2110989_zps54939637.jpg

Dr H

Is it just me, or does the name 'M Lewinski' conjure up the idea of a very different addition to the chest/shoulder area of a garment... :?

Atticus

Sorry guys, I fiddled with my photobucket account and somehow changed the location of the original photo in this thread. So, here it is again...a modern issued nomex deck jacket from te Ronald Reagan.

KGrHqVHJBsE7y7Zqv1bBPEhCtTvKw60_3.jpg

And...some time ago I picked up this first edition A-2 from the USS Reeves. In keeping with the Monica theme that this tread has transitioned into, no...the ship was not named for Harry Reeves. It was named for Admiral Joesph Reeves.

KGrHqFhUFDU8r3tbYBRJtfkpLrQ60_57_zps403ceec2.jpg

T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWqVWBRJtmJtVQ60_57_zpsdf5fa2d0.jpg

E4-CG24Cruising_zpsc6a35774.jpg

And...that is a damn cool deck jacket, Scott. Looks like it's design was influenced by the N-1. I love the old Conmar!

AF

ButteMT61

Thanks AF! Are those quilted inside? I like the blue, and was close to getting one, but missed the bid late at night...

Atticus

ButteMT61 said:
Thanks AF! Are those quilted inside? I like the blue, and was close to getting one, but missed the bid late at night...
The lining isn't quilted but it is quite thick. It is much like the lining of an MA-1 or a later model B-15...but with perhaps even thicker insulation. It has interior wind cuffs and a knit waist band, like a flight jacket...as opposed to a traditional deck jacket. It also has a thick, large collar that zips all the way up to protect one's neck area. It is a very warm jacket and I've been wearing the heck out of it this season.

AF

BTW...I just heard back from Van. FL might be down for 48 hours while the transition proceeds.

Phantomfixer

When in Sicily, NAS Sigonella, or NAS II, I traded my woodland camo goretex for a Navy A2 deck jacket. Sailor thought the goretex was cool, and I wanted something warmer on the Sicilian flightline.
You are correct in stating how under rated these guys are...

Willy McCoy

ButteMT61 said:
I just bought a 50's French Deck Jacket in big guy size for a song. It's similar in materials to the US versions and looks to be very warm.
I'll post up some pics in a bit - haven't received it yet.
P2110988_zps196d5721.jpg

P2110989_zps54939637.jpg
Great score! Love the Bedford Twill shell, cut and the zip closure!