• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS 1967 Star Sportswear G-1 (7823D (WEP)), Size 36, Personal Holy Grail

MaydayWei

Hello everyone,

Allow me to introduce to you the newest addition to my collection, my personal holy grail no less.
I do not wish to appear boastful, so please forgive me if I seem that way.
Without further a do, here is my NOS 1967 Star Sportswear 7823D (WEP) G-1 in a rare size 36.
It is in truly wonderful condition; the cuffs, zipper, mouton collar, and (most spectacularly) the USN perforation on the wind flap look brand new; almost as if it was issued to me in 1967.
There's a little story behind it but I'll throw that at the end of the post because I know you want to see the pictures first...

Star Front.jpg
IMG_1355.JPG
Star Tag.jpg
Mouton.jpg
Mounton II.jpg
Conmar.jpg
USN.jpg
Cuffs.jpg

The Story:
In short, I was incredibly lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
I am no @Jorgeenriqueaguilera, and (unlike Jorge) I merely stumbled into this jacket out of pure luck on Ebay.
I've always wanted an original Vietnam era G-1, but most G-1s are just too long in the body for me.
And not wanting to look like Tom Cruise in Top Gun, I spent many, many months scouring the internet in search of a pre-1969 Dynel collar 7823D to no avail.
In November of last year, I gave up and opted for a custom-sized 5 Star G-1 that would fit my height just right.
But with a little encouragement and advice from @B-Man2, I decided to keep looking.
One day, lo and behold, a perfect 1967 NOS 7823D Star was posted up on the Bay; 20 minutes since it was posted and it already had double digit views and climbing.
I thought to myself, 'It's now or never' and pulled the trigger. Boy, am I glad i did.

mulceber

Really nice acquisition, Wei, and a perfect fit to boot. I’m a big fan of Star Sportswear’s jackets, across branches, and have been idly thinking about getting one of their G-1s. It looks like you found one in near-mint condition.

MaydayWei

That’s an absolute gem .
Congrats on your purchase May.
The fit looks great on you ...much better than any repro and the value will continue to increase over the years . ;)

You're an inspiration Burt; and perhaps even morally accountable for my spending habits? ;)
Joking aside, thanks for the advice my friend; I'm really glad I took it.
As for increasing value, well... maybe if I don't first wear the piss out of it; which I absolutely intend to!

B-Man2

You're an inspiration Burt; and perhaps even morally accountable for my spending habits? ;)
Joking aside, thanks for the advice my friend; I'm really glad I took it.
As for increasing value, well... maybe if I don't first wear the piss out of it; which I absolutely intend to!
Thank you for the kind words Mayday

MaydayWei

Congrats @MaydayWei! That is a beauty and nothing compares to an original. It is always exciting to find unworn examples after several decades! I'll be posting some NOS G-1's as soon as I get back to US. Congrats again and thanks for the mention!!!

Greetings from South America,
Jorge

Getting your approval is personal vindication! The VLJ should come up with something like the 'Jorge seal of approval'.
I can't wait to see more NOS jackets from you. It's always something I look forward to and totally makes my day.
Keep em coming and, again, thanks for keeping us in the loop mate. :)