• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Normandie-Niémen french pilots jackets.

Kermit3D

I found this picture of the Normandy Niemen pilots.
They seem to be wearing irvin jackets, is'nt it ? How is it possible for a French squadron to wear an irvin jacket on the Russian front ? :oops:

norniem_1000.jpg

Kermit3D

Okay, I get it. ;)

I found this on Wikipedia:
" The first 14 fighter pilots of the G.C.n°III hailed from units of the Royal Air Force or from the Fighter Group Île-de-France in England (The English) and from the Alsace Fighter Group (groupe de chasse Alsace) North Africa (The Libyans). The English, eight strong, included aspirant Joseph Risso (French: Joseph Risso), aspirant Yves Mahé, lieutenant Didier Béguin, aspirant Marcel Albert, aspirant Marcel Lefèvre, aspirant Albert Durand, aspirant Yves Bizien and aspirant Roland de la Poype. The six Libyans were aspirant Noël Castelain, lieutenant Raymond Derville, lieutenant André Poznanski, lieutenant Albert Preziosi, captain Albert Littolff, and commandant Jean Tulasne. "

Kermit3D

For the anecdote, I had the chance to interview Joseph Risso at his home near Marseille, when I was a student. I was working on the realization of a little video game about Normandy niemen.
General Risso had welcomed us with immense kindness, in all simplicity. He told us about his career as a French pilot on the Russian front... this man had an incredible life.

... a great moment that I will never forget.

Le-capitaine-Joseph-Risso-en-juin-1945-1.jpg

Saint-ex

Thanks for asking.

I knew that FAAL pilots wore American or English flight jackets, sometimes mixed with elements of French uniforms (see my avatar) but I had never seen a photo with patches so it piqued my curiosity.

Pilot

Thanks for asking.

I knew that FAAL pilots wore American or English flight jackets, sometimes mixed with elements of French uniforms (see my avatar) but I had never seen a photo with patches so it piqued my curiosity.
France was ruined after the „ Front Populaire „ and the Debacle/ Desaster of 1940.
No chance to decently equip not gear up anyone in the armed forces prior the 1960ies ( 1960...les 30 glorieuses/ the 30 glories).See our military gear and equipment during Indochina, Suez, Algeria, etc...
France was heavily depending on the various allied Lend-Lease program/donations... (and the last installments were only paid back in 1987 by Monsieur Jacques Chirac...).
I am very much afraid that a similar situation may arise very soon if C-19 keeps its gripping for much longer... except there is no more Lend Lease from our allies.

Last edited:

flyincowboy

Friend of mine had his father ordered a custom shearling jacket A CUSTOM inspired IRWIN with a look of a B6. The jacket was worn till the end of the war during service. He was a part of the crew on a PBY CATALINA.

Sideslip

My grandmother's cousin was Albert Preziosi. He escaped to England on 17/18 June 1940 by stealing an aircraft with some other pilots, flew P-40s in Libya and ended up in Normandie-Niemen. Unfortunately, he was lost on a mission in the Orel region on 28 July 1943. I was able to visit the Normandie-Niemen memorial in Moscow during a business trip some years ago. When my Russian colleagues found out that one of my ancestors flew in Russia during the war, they thanked me for what he had done (I had done nothing of course other than have a related bloodline, but they were much warmer to me than the other HQ guys). There is also a Normandie-Niemen themed restaurant in Moscow. I have no photographs of him in flying gear, but here is one of him in Russia (centre, second from the left). Albert was a pre-war pilot, his brother, Jean Preziosi did St Cyr and ended up a Jedburgh during the war.

1632384377890.png

Sergey65

About 10 years ago I bought this Irvine English flight jacket from an antique shop in Moscow. The seller told me that this jacket was brought to him by a relative of the Russian veteran.
The reverse side of the collar of this jacket is bright yellow. Obviously for better visibility and quick pilot detection on the water.

Yes, in the middle of the war, many Russian pilots used British and American flight jackets and suits supplied by the Lend Lease to the USSR.

Sideslip, deep bow and eternal memory to your relative.

Best regards,
Sergey
B784FEDD-9007-412B-8144-46A8492B3411.jpeg

Chris 55

About 10 years ago I bought this Irvine English flight jacket from an antique shop in Moscow. The seller told me that this jacket was brought to him by a relative of the Russian veteran.
The reverse side of the collar of this jacket is bright yellow. Obviously for better visibility and quick pilot detection on the water.

Yes, in the middle of the war, many Russian pilots used British and American flight jackets and suits supplied by the Lend Lease to the USSR.

Sideslip, deep bow and eternal memory to your relative.

Best regards,
SergeyView attachment 67150

Nice Irvin and with having the yellow hood they are getting rare now.
So your jacket would be around 1941-43 I believe.

Sideslip

Normandie-Niemen Memorial in the Lefortovo District (I think) Moscow. It's quite a big memorial, really appreciate that Russia devotes the space in Moscow for this.
Sorry, I know this is a little off topic as it is not jackets. Just for info in the thread.

14642112_10154614227391484_1293209790328911744_n.jpg
14656430_10154614227506484_5085422319058563985_n.jpg

14666121_10154614227746484_1298847043242030786_n.jpg