• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos of A-2's

Chandler

So he *was* a general. Just looks a little less than "regulation."

And yeah, I was wondering how a Chinese communist soldier got on Iwo Jima. ;)

Brettafett

Its the star on the HBT Ive never seen before. And he looks so young to be a General. And is that a man-bag or a holster he is wearing?
But Generals didn't wear holsters... Important documents? But they'd have lackies to do that...
Its just a weird pic all round.

Smithy

It's the star that threw me, both the Communist Chinese and Japanese obviously used it on their headwear.

Chandler

Its the star on the HBT Ive never seen before. And he looks so young to be a General. And is that a man-bag or a holster he is wearing?
But Generals didn't wear holsters... Important documents? But they'd have lackies to do that...
Its just a weird pic all round.
It's the star that threw me, both the Communist Chinese and Japanese obviously used it on their headwear.
Gotch'a, that's what threw me at first too -- age and doesn't exactly appear as most brigadier generals did in the war.

And yeah, I think that's a shoulder holster. General's didn't wear holsters? Ever seen pictures of Patton?

Man-bag... Dr. Jones would like to see you in his office after class. ;)

Another HBT on Capt. Robert Prince in the Philippines, just for fun.
QxKLmCF.jpg

Lorenzo_l

Looks like Doolittle's Raiders?

I was asking myself the same question. A few guys wearing A-2s and preparing ammo on a carrier's flight deck. Could be. The guy on the far right has a chest patch on his A-2, but I cannot reconcile that with those worn by Doolittle's Raiders.

Last edited:

Chandler

I was asking myself the same question. A few guys wearing A-2s and preparing ammo on a carrier's deck. Could be. The guy on the far right has a chest patch on his A-2, but I cannot reconcile that with those worn by Doolittle's Raiders.
I saw all the sailors and the prop wash warning in the background.

So many different squadron patches in the Raiders -- might have to scroll thru the group shots at Good Wear.

*Update: Crews 12 & 13. @Lorenzol

Lorenzo_l

I saw all the sailors and the prop wash warning in the background.

So many different squadron patches in the Raiders -- might have to scroll thru the group shots at Goodwear.

It is indeed a photograph of the Raiders on the flight deck of the USS Hornet!