• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

flyincowboy

monkey helping his fiend on warhawk maintenance
warhawkcrewnmonkey  china 1940.jpg

Kermit3D

Georges Guingouin : He played a leading role in the Resistance, leading the maquis in the Limousin mountains under the name "Raoul". His comrades nicknamed him "lou Grand" or the "Prefect of the Maquis", while De Gaulle defined him as "one of the most beautiful figures of the Resistance" and made him a Companion of the Liberation, one of the few communists in this case (twelve out of 1,053 recipients).

Here he is wearing a cyclist jacket (Hartmann jacket) like many resistants.

81vHKoi1AVL.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Georges Guingouin : He played a leading role in the Resistance, leading the maquis in the Limousin mountains under the name "Raoul". His comrades nicknamed him "lou Grand" or the "Prefect of the Maquis", while De Gaulle defined him as "one of the most beautiful figures of the Resistance" and made him a Companion of the Liberation, one of the few communists in this case (twelve out of 1,053 recipients).

Here he is wearing a cyclist jacket (Hartmann jacket) like many resistants.

81vHKoi1AVL.jpg
I’m just starting to realize how popular the cyclist jacket became in Europe during the war. You saw them in France, Spain, Germany.
Belgium , and a few other places . I think I’m starting to gain a better appreciation for them now that I’ve realized that they weren’t just a “Hartmann” jacket .

Kermit3D

I’m just starting to realize how popular the cyclist jacket became in Europe during the war. You saw them in France, Spain, Germany.
Belgium , and a few other places . I think I’m starting to gain a better appreciation for them now that I’ve realized that they weren’t just a “Hartmann” jacket .

It is above all a civilian jacket. :)
Still a bit of French resistance :

311.jpg

51558918_2273971896184992_7306234253482837691_n.jpg

ES335

That P40 looks damn well used...
Yes, it sure does. Coating technology has come a long way. Aircraft of that era might fly for a few years, or have an operational lifespan of a few hours. So yeah, spray 'em up and get 'em out the door. It's a weapon. No time for niceties like clean airplanes in frontline service...

Kermit3D

The cook of a Short Sunderland flying boat patrol bomber from Royal Air Force Coastal Command prepares a chicken for cooking in the on-board oven for the crew's Christmas dinner before a patrol from their base in England during World War II, 9th December 1940.

[Downloader.la]-61acf20ab9a53.jpg