• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

Micawber

FB_IMG_1649749903583.jpg

ES335

Honestly, did they do any ergonomic design of cockpits to allow for such bulky jackets and gear? Even driving my minivan in a winter parka feels somewhat restrictive... I can't imagine what it must have been like in an already tight space like that.

(I have a hunch the answer is a resounding "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Nope".) :p
And to add to the drama, the very real possibility of buring fuel, oil and even metal fires fed by a 300+ mph breeze in those cockpits... It amazes my any of those guys got out.

Kermit3D

Portrait of American actor and flying instructor for the US Navy Lieutenant Robert Taylor (born Spangler Arlington Brugh, 1911 - 1969) as he stands on the wing of a North American Aviation SNJ training plane at an unspecified West Coast Naval Air Station, Spring 1944.

portrait-of-american-actor-and-flying-instructor-for-the-us-navy-lieutenant-robert-taylor-as.webp