• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice Article on the net about A2 jackets

Bombing IP

Found this by accident thought you guys might find it interesting .

Here is another one that's interesting

BIP

Last edited:

Edward

wow! really nice article... did not know about A.B. Clement and After the war settled in Charleston, S.C. where I live. I'll see if there is any info elsewhere on the guy. His jacket has so much character!
SSG-A.B.-Clement-2.jpg

dinomartino1

SSG-Harvey-Brundage-Models.jpg

"B-17 waist gunner SSG Harvey Brundage carved these models from broken pieces of plexiglas bomber windshields in his spare time while in England. A member of the 401st Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group, he completed 30 missions.
Always talented with his hands, he built a house in Iowa for his family after his return from the war."

These are so fantastic, I don't know what to say.

Edward

View attachment 19667

"B-17 waist gunner SSG Harvey Brundage carved these models from broken pieces of plexiglas bomber windshields in his spare time while in England. A member of the 401st Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group, he completed 30 missions.
Always talented with his hands, he built a house in Iowa for his family after his return from the war."

Similar ones come up on eBay from time to time but metal. Copper brass, and aluminum. They Fetch a nice price. In fact a few days ago an early 1941 “Cruver “ B-17 spotter plane came up marked USAAC... metal! very rare. I had read they made them out of metal before going to cellulose but have never actually seen one… Three bids, sold for around $230 which was a steal! The theater made trench art Shell casing airplanes can very easily be made today in any shop and aging them is easy so I’m a little concerned about authenticity on some of the ones I see come up… Very easy to counterfeit those. It would be very hard to validate the authenticity of them. The ones above I think they said were carved out of aircraft plexiglass? That’s very cool!

Micawber

View attachment 19667

We had several pieces of plexiglass sweetheart jewellery in the 91st museum at Bassingbourn.

As a related aside I had the opportunity to talk to an RAF chap who was part of the clearup party who worked with the last remnants of the 91st at Bassingbourn as they cleared up and shipped out after the end of hostilities. The whole place had to be cleared and buildings reinstated to the decor and standard that they were when the USAAF took charge of the place from the RAF in 1942. One of the comments the chap made was that the 91st left behind a huge pile of plexiglass, in his words "the size of a house" between two of the four C type hangars.