• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice 1950's L.W. Foster G-1

Curahee

Received this very nice G-1 last weekend and I'm really pleased with. It has the USN print under the collar instead of the later used perforation in the windflap like the 55J14 G-1's. It never had a nametag or any patches sewn to it and there are no stich holes to prove otherwise.The spec label reads MIL-J-7823 & AMEND. #2 wich I'm told dates back to 1955 and was only made for a short period.

It came with some interesting items wich belonged to the previous owner Capt. Allen Richard Mc Connell; aviators flight logbook, ID card and WW2 medals and USN pilots wings all indicating mid 50's origins.

The jacket seems to have had little wear if any and except for few small scrapes is in perfect condition for a 55 year old jacket. The mouton has been replaced by Aero though. Zipper is a black Conmar works fine, the goatskin has a nice pebly grain and dito patina to it. Lining only has a few little holes no stains or funny smells etc. This size 40 fits me like a glove and has the atletic fit wich is typical for L.W. Foster G-1's.
Compared to my late 1960's Gregory Sportswear G-1 you can definitely see some quality changes (fit, leather, detailing, etc.) funny to see this happen in only a +/- 10-15 year period

Oh and before I forget here are some pics

sept2009070.jpg

sept2009085.jpg

sept2009075.jpg

sept2009081.jpg

sept2009068.jpg

sept2009073.jpg

sept2009074.jpg

Peter Graham

Wow, what a super nice G-1. You must be over the moon with it. It's not often you see original knits in such good shape and Aero have done a great job on the collar. They are known for using some dodgy mouton on occasions but that is superb. Let's see a photo of the fit.

Peter Graham

Excellent. Very nicely proportioned jacket. My 55J14 should be back from Aero within a week or so after having new knits fitted. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Curahee

Peter,

Thanks for the compliment, hope to see your jacket soon on the vintage section. The 55J14 is my next target
on my shortlist. What are the major differences between the (AER) and the 55J14 (beside the pocketshape) ?

Corey

What a beautiful jacket. I like the fine fur on the collar. I'm surprised it needed replacement given what good shape the rest of jacket is in. How bad was it?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
... What are the major differences between the (AER) and the 55J14 (beside the pocketshape) ?

Any differences are more between the various makers.

If you are getting serious about the G-1, a PM to John for his CD, would be a good plan. ;)