• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next Jacket, M422a?

Lorenzo_l

Thanks a lot! That answers my question quite nicely... :)
I'd add that there are nice goat and real mutton fur-collared D-series G-1s out there (I have one myself), but C-sieries and earlier are nicer, the hides are more supple and they look better. If you were to consider a D-series, try to get good pictures if you want to make sure it's goat and not pressed cow-hide you are getting, for example.

Griffon_301

For the time being I am happy with my ELC repro G-1 but if I ever come by a nice original issue Vietnam era G-1 and I am not out for another jacket at that time, might be tempted...

Flightengineer

Be careful and don’t buy a cow, they creak like an old sofa and uncomfortable. IMHO the best G-1 with small zips was made before the beginning of 60x - 7823 (AER)

Brettafett

I had a C-series for a bit, but it came in a bit short and I let it go. Although I do agree with G-1 originals...
There are two very good reasons I'd get a G-1 repro, in MY CASE...
1. I can add some length as I need it.
2. I went through an exercise with a couple of original jackets, one being a quite decent, but not perfect original G-1. It cost me almost as much as the jacket to clean properly, replace the knit and lining... and I didn't even get to the 'wearing' mouton.
Nice leather, with no stitch holes etc is only part of the story. Cleaning the inside, at least here in London, proved to be a massive mission and I wasted a lot of time on that jacket. Never again.
Even had a 'reputable' company clean my ELC B-10, they put holes in it.

rob20uk

@Brettafett the reasons you give are the exact reasons I decided to get something new. the ELC G-1 has a very good reputation (although it is a little expensive) and having the ability to send something back and have it modified is a big plus.

Honestly getting a second hand G-1 in size 44 here in the UK that is in very good condition and looks new and will fit well is just going to be a LOT of hassle. I'll keep my eye out for one but buying new is just a lot easier.

Nickb123

I was a tad bit underwhelmed with the Eastman 22a. Not entirely sure why. It was a pretty jacket however. I may have sold it before really getting a chance to enjoy it.