• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New York

coalman

:)Hello All,

I am visiting New York next week for the first time since the late 1970's , I am wondering is there any recomended shops where they sell flight jackets that I should visit ?

Regards

John

johnwayne

Unfortunately not as its been a while since I went but maybe try a internet search? By New York I assume you mean Manhattan as opposed to NY state? As you prob know, weather permitting Manhattan is quite walkable which is how I found a store selling Schott gear at a lot less than here and bought a great leather pea coat but where it was i can't recall, mid town I think.
Crikey, you'll notice a lot of change but still have a great time - not sure if still there but in Greenwich village there was a restaurant/club called Cafe Wah that did great music, some famous names having played there over time!!
Enjoy
Cheers
Wayne

coalman

Hello John,
Many thanks for your input- yes we will only be in Manhattan so looking for flight jacket stores in that area, I have already done a internet search but really seeking personal recomendations, which are always the best :)

John

unclegrumpy

What kind of jacket(s) are you looking for? It might be easier to buy something off the Forum, and have it shipped to your hotel. Then wear it home. Heck, you could fill a suitcase :)

Silver Surfer

the days of finding vintage and or flight gear in nyc have come and gone my friend. dunno if it still there, but for many, many years there was a "army-navy" store on far west 34th st, called kaufmans, or some such. there is a store on west bway east side of the street], just south of canal st that might worth a poke, but dont get your hopes up too high. i live near there, but i just dont go in that direction very often. once upon a time, there were hundreds of army-navy, used clothing, salvation army, vintage clothing stores dotted all over nyc and all of them were worth a look-see for flight gear. changing tastes, and a sky rocketing real estate boom has gutted all of that. off hand, i dont know the name of them, but there are some by appointment tv and movie prop shops that sell some of their gear, but at high prices, im told. the ralph lauren store on west bway [between prince and spring] has vintage stuff, and sometimes flight gear, but again, priced high. grant may know of stores that i am unfamiliar with, that have some flight gear...maybe.

coalman

What kind of jacket(s) are you looking for? It might be easier to buy something off the Forum, and have it shipped to your hotel. Then wear it home. Heck, you could fill a suitcase :)
Hi

Cannot really say what type of jacket I am looking for, to be very honset was just going to have a look around enjoying looking, and if a jacket grabs my attention then buy 1 or 3 lol.
I have already bought a bigger suitcase just in case lol

Regards

John

Grant

Hey John,
As Vic pointed out, most vintage shops, second hand stores and flea markets in Manhattan that carried vintage flight jackets have long ago disappeared. There are a couple of vintage dealers that sell by appointment only but asking prices are more than any of us would pay. One shop you may want to stop by and check out is Stock Vintage on 13th St.
Melissa carries really great vintage workwear and occasionally military flight jackets, tanker jackets and WWII N-1 deck jackets. She also carries a cool collection of 30's-50's civilian leather work jackets and WWII/Korean War era combat/work boots. Most of her clients are fashion designers, Japanese collectors and celebrities, so her prices are high as well. She said the market for original A-2's is so small these days, she rarely carries them. If you go, tell her you know me as she's a friend.

If you'd like to meet up with Vic and I while you're here, we know a good watering hole in Soho!

coalman

Hello Both,
My apologies for not replying sooner, I have done quite a few internet searches this week howver does not seem to be any good stores about now, very much the same here in the UK.
We are only over there for a few days as only there to attend an awards ceremony, so will be cramming in as much sight seeing as possible , however the boss has said if time allows then we can visit kaufmans and possibley stock vintage. :).
Sadly which means on this trip will not be able to meet up for a beer but hopefully will be back for a longer trip in 2017 so hold that thought.
Regards

John

regius

John, Melissa's store carries "concept" vintage items, many of them are not wearable, are you looking for wearable ones? also, sizing can be spotty. she has a nice collection of NOS boots and shoes and nice belts. She has a warehouse and a small truck, you can call her store and specify and see if she has it in her warehouse. By the way, by the time you saw this you may already have gone back!!! Go to Brooklyn, to a Japanese owned store called Stacey's 8 foot single or something, and the L train vintage chain stores.

regius

Next time you come i'd love to meet too, I lived in Birmingham and Market Harborough for a while!

Grant

Sorry to disagree Regis, but over the years I've bought horsehide civi jackets, a primo WWII N-1 and various WWII issue USMC HBT dungarees from Melissa, all very wearable. True, her prices are high, but with me she's open to barter and trade to make the deal more affordable. She's also tied into the vintage world and can usually suggest where to get whatever you're interested in.

The Brooklyn store you're referring to is 10Ft Single by Stella Dallas in Williamsburg. It's a cool shop which occasionally has some nice stuff. The really nice vintage stuff is displayed above reach of customers and is not for sale.