• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New vs old N-3B genuine parka

bn1966

Just purchased a NOS Lancer Corp N-3B in XL for a good price. It’s dated 1981 & if the fit works out I’ll probably pimp it up with a real fur hood ruff and sleeve decal / donut. Perishing cold here in the UK at present which guided my hand on the purchase.

bn1966

Well that didn’t quite turn out as planned, Lancer N-3B XL fitted across the shoulders but drown the rest of me, tried the same in a Large, fine in the torso but tight across the shoulders. Not too keen on the nylon and cotton mix of the shell, would prefer an all nylon shell. Had an XL N-3A times back that was a good fit but in a poor state, might look for an early N-3B or a decent repro.

Flightengineer

Well that didn’t quite turn out as planned, Lancer N-3B XL fitted across the shoulders but drown the rest of me, tried the same in a Large, fine in the torso but tight across the shoulders. Not too keen on the nylon and cotton mix of the shell, would prefer an all nylon shell. Had an XL N-3A times back that was a good fit but in a poor state, might look for an early N-3B or a decent repro.
Hi Lee. I had the same problems. Either the shoulders are square or tight, depending on the contract. As a result, I bought a lot and sold everything, now keep only one very old Alpha, which may not be as warm, but very comfy.

B-Man2

Maybe the solution to your problem is to try out an original N-2b jacket. The short waisted version of the N-3b. It may fit differently without such a baggie torso or the shoulders may work better for you.

bn1966

Maybe the solution to your problem is to try out an original N-2b jacket. The short waisted version of the N-3b. It may fit differently without such a baggie torso or the shoulders may work better for you.

Thanks, I have a couple of N-2B’s and an N-2A in XL and the fit is great so you are correct in your thinking. The earlier of the N-2B’s has a broken zipper so I’ve now been spurred on to get a replacement from MASH that should be with me soon.

bn1966

Hi Lee. I had the same problems. Either the shoulders are square or tight, depending on the contract. As a result, I bought a lot and sold everything, now keep only one very old Alpha, which may not be as warm, but very comfy.
Thanks, loathe to spend out on lots of trial and error N-3B’s..too much money goes on shipping returns or sell on’s. Did see a decent Masland N-3A up for grabs on eBay but with shipping and import tax it would have rushed me about £600 which is big money for a parka, I know it would fit from prior experience but crazy $$$$. Alpha USA made N-3B repro’s crop up from time to time on eBay for cheap..might have a pop at one of those.

B-Man2

Sorry Dani, had a lot of work and I could not pay attention to the forum. Yes, I've purchased a NOS 1970 n-3b parka with coyote fur, 100% wool interlining made by Skyline Clothing Corporation. Don't know if the shell is 100% nylon. Do anybody knows it?

When it arrives at home, I'm gonna post pictures of it.
From the little I know about N-3B manufactures, Skyline Clothing is a decent maker. Southern Athletic is also one of the better makers of N-3Bs .

bn1966

Waiting for a cheap modern (ish) service issue in XL, summer will probably be the Best Buy time.

Think the lighter man made interlining will be my go to for UK climes.

Ideal would be from the 70’s with a higher % of nylon in the shell.

eamenos

Hi guys, my NOS 1970 N-3b parka has finally
IMG_20220323_183614.jpg
arrived. I share you some pics. Interlining is 100% wool, as the label says, but what about the shell? Is it nylon&cotton, 100% nylon...? Label doesn't say it
IMG_20220323_183601.jpg
IMG_20220323_183555.jpg
IMG_20220323_183525.jpg

bn1966

Sweet parka, looks like a mix on the shell from my tablet screen. I’d be very happy with that :cool:

eamenos

Sweet parka, looks like a mix on the shell from my tablet screen. I’d be very happy with that :cool:

I bought the jacket because of the cold winters use to do here in a part of Catalonia, where temperatures can reach -10°C plus blowing wind. What was most important to me was the interlining. I'm not going to use it in the snow or if it is raining. Are these jackets 100% waterproof, or the only ones are the 100% nylon shell?

MikeyB-17

I doubt either is 100% waterproof. They’re designed for cold weather flying, not rain. The fur hood is going to get sodden in the wet. I agree, that looks like a cotton/nylon mix.

bn1966

Probably a 50 / 50 nylon and cotton from the year, 80’s versions more cotton. Fair few days this winter where a N-3B would work in the UK with the lighter weight lining..just waiting for the right one to appear. I’ve got various N2-B’s but fancy something a bit longer. I have an M-65 Parka but I’m not a massive fan.

bn1966

Still on the N-3B hunt a year on. Just pulled the trigger on a civilian Alpha N-3B ‘Made in the USA’. Has taken quite a few months to find one, I like nylon as a shell textile and the insulation won’t be overly warm..fingers crossed when it lands.

Chevalier

Thanks for a really informative post and replies! Does anyone know if there was a specific year or contract number when they switched from coyote fur hood trim to synthetic? I have seen some of the older synthetic trim jackets, and they don’t always age well.

Also, does anyone have advice about getting them cleaned? I would imagine the mix of materials (nylon shell, fur hood trim, and wool interlining) could make cleaning a nightmare. I think I have already encountered a couple of jackets where the wool interlining shrank inside the jacket due to improper cleaning.

Chandler

Also, does anyone have advice about getting them cleaned? I would imagine the mix of materials (nylon shell, fur hood trim, and wool interlining) could make cleaning a nightmare. I think I have already encountered a couple of jackets where the wool interlining shrank inside the jacket due to improper cleaning.
A couple years ago I took mine to a dry cleaner who looked it over and didn't want to chance it.

Last year I took it to another dry cleaner who's been open much longer than the other and didn't hesitate. She did a great job, even expertly combed out the hood trim (synthetic, not coyote).

No shrinking, no trouble. I think it even brought back the insulation because it felt warmer than ever last year -- it seemed to have lost some of that great warmth over the years.

Skyhawk

I got a 1980's version some years ago. It was in great shape but it was super musty smelling. I washed it in the washer and then hang dried it. It did fine. no damage. I had to separate the fibers on the synthetic collar by hand. They got a little clumped together during the process. Other than that, it was super clean and fresh afterwards. That was years ago and it is still in service with no musty smell or damage and it's as warm as ever.

bn1966

Eventually ended up with a DJ Man‘ N-3B service issue (2003) for really cold weather & a ‘90’s Civvy Alpha (less warm) in black for the fashion end of things..