• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to me, and basically new G-1.

Kid Mechanic

Hello Forum,
New member, first post. Looking for advise on G-1. History, it's only a '76 vintage from Imperial, but it had the receipt from a surplus store dated March 79 and it is in such new condition I don't want to wreck it, right away!
I don't think it was worn much at all, no holes in cuffs or waistband and collar is perfect even though it is artificial fur. I Just got is last week from the guy who bought it from the surplus in Mesa Arizona, well his estate anyway, for not much coin for a leather jacket. Turns out he was Chief of Astronauts Affairs for Nasa for Gemini & Apollo and worked for Nasa from about 1960 through the 70's, Charles Friedlander. The jacket obviously was just bought and not associated with anything other than him, but it appears like when he bought it no one had worn it or if it was worn he never wore it.

Now for the advise.
It has the creaking noise like an old chair in a fancy hotel lobby. I don't want to ruin or darken the leather with the wrong product so what would be recommended for such things?

The zipper and inside pocket snap have some green on the brass. What product and method would be best to help those items?

Also, I have a few somewhat vintage patches, Navy Fighter Weapons School and a VF 124 Gunfighters among others. I know it's my jacket but my wife and my sister say no to the patches. ???

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments. I fully plan to wear this and not let it sit around for another 40+ years.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hey Kid!!
Welcome to VLJ.

There will be others along shortly to help answer your questions and I'll try to help out with my limited knowledge on your G-1.
Most of us have the same issue with creaking leather jackets. Some people Saddle soap them, others try leather conditioners, I prefer a very light coat of Pecards Leather Dressing. Try that first to see if it helps reduce the noise.
The green stuff on the zipper is verdigris which accumulates with the age of the jacket and it can be wiped off with rag and some light brass polish if so desired. A lot of us just keep it the way it is to show authenticity.
Patching is an individual preference. Keep in mind that your jacket has some historic value so you may want to keep it as it is..... I prefer to patch just cheaper jackets with no historic value.
Keep in mind that once you cross that bridge...there's no going back... there will be holes in that jacket forever.
Hope that answers your questions.....
Cheers

Kid Mechanic

Thanks, B-Man2.
Ages ago when vinyl tops on cars were a thing I used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean and condition, I'll research that angle.
Good idea about the zipper, it works like new so if it ain't broke...
I'm up against it also about the patches, I agree with my wife and your take on it and I don't want to ruin a new jacket, but...PATCHES!!!
Maybe I should just "patch up" some of my denim jackets.

B-Man2

Thanks, B-Man2.
Ages ago when vinyl tops on cars were a thing I used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean and condition, I'll research that angle.
Good idea about the zipper, it works like new so if it ain't broke...
I'm up against it also about the patches, I agree with my wife and your take on it and I don't want to ruin a new jacket, but...PATCHES!!!
Maybe I should just "patch up" some of my denim jackets.

Kid
I would not use Murphys oil soap......once again Pecards is a better choice by miles!. But as they say " Not my circus...not my monkey"!

I fully understand your feelings on...….. "PATCHES"!!!!!

BUT...…...once again patches come and go...……..HOLES ARE FOREVER!!!

Kid Mechanic

Kid Mechanic

I can get a better shot of the label if needed.
MIL-J-7823E(AS) 8415-00-268-7799 DSA100-76-C-1788
For some reason the Imperial name was lined out, but can still see faint lettering.
When I used those numbers I found this forum and a thread and the guy said anything after 1971 wasn't as collectable, so this is just a quality jacket that I would have used no matter the age.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Right
A Wikipedia search for USN G-1 jacket should give you a list of contractors and dates of who made the G-1 jackets and the dates of manufacture.

Kid Mechanic

For sure. Thanks for the info. I researched this jacket and it showed it's from 1976 and Imperial Leather that had a contract for one year.
It must not have been worn but a handful of times, if even that. Probably went from stock issue straight to the surplus store.