• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New/repro g-1 with honey collar?

PilatusPilot

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is doing well,

Recently I've been on the lookout for a new g-1. I really really am in love with the honey coloured collars on those jackets. I'll post a picture below of what I'm talking about (this is my original g-1).

You might say just wear your original, but unfortunately it's too small for me (initially I got it by accident). And I'm most likely selling it soon since I've never used it and it's just hanging there.

I have an issue with originals because they are VERY hard to find in my size in good condition... And I've been looking for one ever since I started getting into those jackets. Now of course if I had 1500$ to spend I'm sure I'd find one very quickly... But my 600$ budget makes it hard.

Then there are repros... But none of them make it like pictures bellow... I love the changing colors of it as you pass your hand through, I love the length of it, not too long but not too short... It's the perfect fur. Everything I saw so far has just one homogeneous bleached colour when looking at repros.

Does this effect on the fur come from years of wear and sun? Maybe I'm asking the impossible lol.

What would you do? Any companies you would recommend to get something close to this bellow?

PXL_20221021_175918683.jpg
PXL_20221021_175934661.jpg

Chevalier

I agree…nothing quite matches the natural aging of the mouton collars on older jackets. I have also seen G-1s with an almost yellow mouton on the collar. I don’t know if they were a different color to begin with, or it is just more time in the sun to bleach them.

PilatusPilot

I agree…nothing quite matches the natural aging of the mouton collars on older jackets. I have also seen G-1s with an almost yellow mouton on the collar. I don’t know if they were a different color to begin with, or it is just more time in the sun to bleach them.
Yeah I really would love the same effect on a new jacket... I saw a post from a member a while back that had one custom made by 5star with this exact effect, but I'm not sure how he got it because I've never seen 5 star with this fur prior or after that post. I'll post the link here.

Kennyz

That collar on your original is gorgeous.

Maybe contacting Shawn at Five Star would be worthwhile...you can show him the post of that jacket they made with the collar you like, and see if he can make you one like it, PilatusPilot.

Ken

Yeah I really would love the same effect on a new jacket... I saw a post from a member a while back that had one custom made by 5star with this exact effect, but I'm not sure how he got it because I've never seen 5 star with this fur prior or after that post. I'll post the link here.

Chevalier

It seems like there is both a color and a texture match to contend with. If you look at the picture that @bn1966 posted of his jacket later on in the thread, his rust color matches the older mouton, but the texture looks like new mouton. The mouton seems to get “clumpier” as it ages.

I wonder if anybody back in the day made jackets entirely from brown mouton that are now getting slowly re-purposed as perfectly aged repro G-1 collars ;)

Skyhawk

It seems like there is both a color and a texture match to contend with. If you look at the picture that @bn1966 posted of his jacket later on in the thread, his rust color matches the older mouton, but the texture looks like new mouton. The mouton seems to get “clumpier” as it ages.

I wonder if anybody back in the day made jackets entirely from brown mouton that are now getting slowly re-purposed as perfectly aged repro G-1 collars ;)
We do it all the time at Headwind. Same with Good Wear and a few others. This Foster was refurbed with mouton off a 1950's coat. The matting is easy to do. Just wash it with shampoo and air dry. I would not do it on a collar this nice though:

IMG_20220916_120153993_HDR-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20220916_115957106_HDR-PhotoRoom.png
IMG_20220916_115523650_HDR-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20220916_120211610_HDR-PhotoRoom.png

PilatusPilot

We do it all the time at Headwind. Same with Good Wear and a few others. This Foster was refurbed with mouton off a 1950's coat. The matting is easy to do. Just wash it with shampoo and air dry. I would not do it on a collar this nice though:

View attachment 84934
View attachment 84935View attachment 84936
View attachment 84933
Oh of course not, what I want is to get anew reproduction jacket with this colour for the collar... Usually they come in dark brown... I like the picture you just posted, love this colour and the texture seems not bad either!!

JonnyCrow

Burt you seem to be a G1 buff, any ideas on this? Seen it for sale

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221022-234923.png
    Screenshot_20221022-234923.png
    589.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20221022-234847.png
    Screenshot_20221022-234847.png
    423.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20221022-234904.png
    Screenshot_20221022-234904.png
    464.5 KB · Views: 98

B-Man2

Hey Johnny
The label tells me it’s a civilian G-1 as opposed to a USN G-1 jacket . It looks to be in good shape from what I can see in the two photos .If the price is reasonable, it’s a good knock around G-1 jacket. Of course if you’re looking for a USN issued G -1 jacket then you might want to pass this one by. I always have to keep telling myself that about 98% of the US population can’t tell an issued G-1 from a commercially produced repro of a G-1 . So if funds are limited the commercially made jacket is fine. Just my opinion :)

JonnyCrow

Hey Johnny
The label tells me it’s a civilian G-1 as opposed to a USN G-1 jacket . It looks to be in good shape from what I can see in the two photos .If the price is reasonable, it’s a good knock around G-1 jacket. Of course if you’re looking for a USN issued G -1 jacket then you might want to pass this one by. I always have to keep telling myself that about 98% of the US population can’t tell an issued G-1 from a commercially produced repro of a G-1 . So if funds are limited the commercially made jacket is fine. Just my opinion :)
Cheers Burt yeah I initially thought a civvy job, it was a opinion post as there are enough original USN jackets knocking around over here, this one looked too clean, too smooth, it's why I queried it