• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new pilot watch

rich

Wingnut, I'll let you know if mine goes buns up anytime, but like you, here's hoping! I have a quartz CWC - Swiss made, and that has ticked on perfectly for 6 years now, and it was second hand when it came to me.

Willy McCoy

Quartz watches are accurate and inexpensive. Very reliable too. The Swiss were a little late in the quartz game but they did very well once up and running. Quartz movements pretty much killed mechanical movements. The Lacos' watches are nice.

Weasel_Loader

I agree. I have a Automatic Citizen and it drives me nuts that it has to keep moving to keep time if I don't wear it everyday and I ain't about to buy one of those cute little winder boxes to keep it moving. I think I'll stay with a good quality quartz movement. My TAG is a quartz and it's actually at TAG right now getting an overhaul as it's 16 years old and needed a good cleaning, new battery and the bezel needed fixing as it wouldn't notch anymore and moved freely. :roll:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Willy McCoy said:
.. The Swiss were a little late in the quartz game but they did very well once up and running ..

The Swiss did invent, and develop the quartz watch, but yes, they were slow to capitalize.

However, I think they'd be happy enough now ...

Luxury watches made with precious metals, gems or fine-crafted mechanics now account for 80 percent of Swiss watch sales by value.

Exports nearly doubled in the space of a decade to 13.7 billion Swiss francs (11.2 billion US dollars or 8.3 billion euros) in 2006, according to the Swiss watchmaking federation.

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
Willy McCoy said:
.. The Swiss were a little late in the quartz game but they did very well once up and running ..

The Swiss did invent, and develop the quartz watch, but yes, they were slow to capitalize.

However, I think they'd be happy enough now ...

Luxury watches made with precious metals, gems or fine-crafted mechanics now account for 80 percent of Swiss watch sales by value.

Exports nearly doubled in the space of a decade to 13.7 billion Swiss francs (11.2 billion US dollars or 8.3 billion euros) in 2006, according to the Swiss watchmaking federation.

Indeed. We're all entitled to our opinion regarding quartz watches, but I'm pleased to see them running a distant second to Swiss mechanicals. I imagine the situation is vastly different with Japanese-made watches, but traditionally most of them would hardly be considered "high end." Sure they keep accurate time, but in my opinion quartz watches lack the essential "soul" that makes a quality watch such a pleasure to own.

A

Anonymous

wing nut said:
How can a watch be nazi ? Stick to jackets Joe Bob.

WW2 German pilot's watch= Luftwaffe watch= watch of a pilot who has sworn allegiance to Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party! NAZI NAZI NAZI! Wingy how could you glorify Nazis?

A

Anonymous

rotenhahn said:
wing nut said:

WW2 German pilot's watch= Luftwaffe watch= watch of a pilot who has sworn allegiance to Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party! NAZI NAZI NAZI! Wingy how could you glorify Nazis?

:lol:

rich

rotenhahn said:
wing nut said:

That being the case, how about anything made by BMW, Porsche, IG Farben, Siemens and probably countless others. Laco made watches before and after WW2, I don't see why this brands their contemporary watches as Nazi. Is it OK to have a Rolex? - the Swiss government of that time made plenty of deals with Nazi Germany. Does this mean boycotting ELC's repro Luftwaffe jackets too? Please tell me you're just winding us up - no pun intended.........

A

Anonymous

rich said:
rotenhahn said:
wing nut said:

That being the case, how about anything made by BMW, Porsche, IG Farben, Siemens and probably countless others. Laco made watches before and after WW2, I don't see why this brands their contemporary watches as Nazi. Is it OK to have a Rolex? - the Swiss government of that time made plenty of deals with Nazi Germany. Does this mean boycotting ELC's repro Luftwaffe jackets too? Please tell me you're just winding us up - no pun intended.........

Rich me lad- you must be new- I'm the resident "Nazi" on the forum because of my anti-Zionist, pro-American views. I'm giving Wing-Ding and all the neocons on the forum a taste of their own gruel... :lol:

bfrench

Administrator
rotenhahn said:
rich said:
Rich me lad- you must be new- I'm the resident "Nazi" on the forum because of my anti-Zionist, pro-American views. I'm giving Wing-Ding and all the neocons on the forum a taste of their own gruel... :lol:

Hi, Jeff,

Whoa, whoa, whoa, - I really take umbrage with the term you being pro-anything :mrgreen:

You've always been my anti-everything hero - ;)

And now, you're coming out of the anti closet - my world is shattered. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Smilin' Bill

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
Is it OK to have a Rolex? - the Swiss government of that time made plenty of deals with Nazi Germany...

Now don't be picking on Rolex ....

It is worth remembering that Rolex, despite being based in Geneva, were a British company with a British national, Hans Wilsdorf, as their head. During WWII, Rolex supplied watches free of charge to any British Officer who had the misfortune to become a German Prisoner of War. They were also the watches of choice for the flyers of the RAF and most USAAF pilot who found themselves stationed in the UK.

I have one of the letters that accompanied these watches, requesting that payment be made after the war.

A

Anonymous

To Jeff (The joe bob briggs of jackets)- :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Thanks to everyone else who has contributed to an interesting post.

A

Anonymous

wing nut said:
To Jeff (The joe bob briggs of jackets)- :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Thanks to everyone else who has contributed to an interesting post.

Thanks! (for the Joe Bob moniker) :lol:

A

Anonymous

bfrench said:
rotenhahn said:
rich said:

Hi, Jeff,

Whoa, whoa, whoa, - I really take umbrage with the term you being pro-anything :mrgreen:

You've always been my anti-everything hero - ;)

And now, you're coming out of the anti closet - my world is shattered. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Smilin' Bill

It's true I'm anti-everything Bill- I'm wired that way- I can write better that way. In real life I'm pro-some stuff but you'd never know it here-eh?

A

Anonymous

Jeff I thought you were pro-Code Pink, AKA the demonstrators out side the Berkely USMC station? :?:

A

Anonymous

Yes my schizophrenic friend- I'm pro-Code Pink AND a Nazi! Birkenstocks AND jackboots! That's me to the tee! :lol:

A

Anonymous

Schizo ! Thats a very rare mental illness, over used by people to discribe others. Funny that you know so much about mental health issues...kind of like you have been there done that. No surprise here. Anyway, I like my watch even if a nazi may have worn the same model years ago.