• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New (or nearly so) Irvin Foster G-1

STEVE S.

Cheers Flash-for some reason it stuck with me when I read about it. I recall it was referred to as ‘the famous Irvin B. Foster extra seam’, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it mentioned since. I’ve brought it up a few times, but nobody ever showed any interest or seemed to know anything about it, so it can’t be that famous, but I reckon there’s something in it.

wonder if that extra seam would have any relation to the size of the jacket? On the larger sized jackets, finding a goat hide large enough could have proven to be difficult. Ya know, those buggars are nowhere near the size of a horse/cow.

A couple of yrs ago, I had to make a M-422a with a 52” chest. I had to go through every hide in the supply & finally found one I could get the back panel out of in one piece.

MikeyB-17

I don’t know Steve-the one I owned was a bog standard size 42 and it had the seam. Funny how only one series by one manufacturer has this peculiarity. AFAIK it occurs throughout the size range. There’s an explanation out there somewhere.

STEVE S.

I don’t know Steve-the one I owned was a bog standard size 42 and it had the seam. Funny how only one series by one manufacturer has this peculiarity. AFAIK it occurs throughout the size range. There’s an explanation out there somewhere.
Maybe they wanted it to look like the crazy gusset seam on the Ostermann 422a? :p

tda003

My jacket is a size 44. It's an ongoing problem in reconstructing history. You often know the results of a thing without knowing the why. It would be a rare stroke of good fortune if an employee of Foster at the time was still around to ask. Someone at the company made that decision on that contract..

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Honestly, I have never noticed that before. I'm still in South America right now but I was able to check pics from a Foster "C" series in size 44 I own, and I can confirm that it comes with that extra seam.
5848CC43-5ED5-431C-AA33-426624B8B7FC.jpeg
A6266054-CA00-4FE4-ACDA-DAB9CB85C86E.jpeg

Last edited:

Chevalier

what they mean by the use of biweave on the cuffs is the tightness/size of the weave used to make the cuffs, not a different weave like the rib/rack waistbands. You can see a distinct size difference between the areas circled.

View attachment 76383
I think I am slowly catching on :) I would be looking for a single ply rib rack knits for the waist and fold over biweave cuffs if I want to replicate what is currently on the jacket. However, the specs seem to allow for some flexibility. Thanks for your patience and help learning the new terminology. I would like to get the jacket wearable again, but still retain as much authenticity as I can. I think I will also avoid working with anyone on the replacement who does not understand those distinctions. I have a feeling I would be disappointed with just a generic set of replacement knits.

Capt

”It does not have a bi-weave waistband. It DOES have bi-weave cuffs. I have no others of this contract with which to compare it.”

I have a 46 on the same contract as yours, no bi weave waist band and has the extra seam.

will upload some pictures when I can.

tda003

Just following up. It has the double seam. Cuffs and waistband are doulble fold. Cuffs are bi-weave. Waist band is not,

Capt

As promised nearly NOS as well, has an AVI weight to it and a reddish russet shade to the leather the pictures don't show. Shame it has not got the single weave waist band as the 'C' should have, with the nylon lining it will last longer than Rayon.

Attachments

• IMG_2506.JPG
    IMG_2506.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2507.JPG
    IMG_2507.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2509.JPG
    IMG_2509.JPG