• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member Questions

Roughwear

To prevent spammers from joining VLJ I propose that all new members have to answer at least a couple of questions such as why they want to join and what they can contribute to forum discussions. I have set these type of questions on several FB groups which I administer and it does help to prevent spammers from joining. John Lever does a great job removing spam posts, but more moderators are needed to deal with inappropriate posts.

Smithy

Hear hear Andrew.

Perhaps it should be "What is your favourite vintage flying jacket?" I can just see all the time wasters/spammers answering, "A leather one" :D

unclegrumpy

If this were a website, I know we could add something like is linked below...I have done it, and it keeps the Eastern Block robot spammers out...maybe it could be added to a Forum as well...but this is the kind of thing that is needed.

http://www.captcha.net

Silver Surfer

for a while there we had a lot of this junk, not mention meatballs showing their late 20th century mall crap and asking about its value. ptuie. "oh homie, its time to take out the trash"-marge.

tjoenn

Hi, a quick question. I check in on this forum pretty much every day and enjoy it tremendously, but have not contributed much as I honestly feel a bit intimidated by the wealth of knowledge of people here. I have bought two jackets from members and was about to pull the trigger on another one, but now I can't post on the buy/sell section as I only have 19 messages (but been a member for more than 6 months). So my question is this: is it ok to private message a member to buy from him. I think I understand that the new rule was to prevent people like me from selling, not buying, but since I can't post in the buy/sell section I just want to check as I don't want to step on anyone's toes or appear to be sneaky. (I guess this question should really be in the buy/sell section, but like I said, I can't post there any longer :)) (I guess I could quickly do 6, or 5 more posts after this one, but I think they were supposed to be meaningful :))

Steve27752

Hi, a quick question. I check in on this forum pretty much every day and enjoy it tremendously, but have not contributed much as I honestly feel a bit intimidated by the wealth of knowledge of people here. I have bought two jackets from members and was about to pull the trigger on another one, but now I can't post on the buy/sell section as I only have 19 messages (but been a member for more than 6 months). So my question is this: is it ok to private message a member to buy from him. I think I understand that the new rule was to prevent people like me from selling, not buying, but since I can't post in the buy/sell section I just want to check as I don't want to step on anyone's toes or appear to be sneaky. (I guess this question should really be in the buy/sell section, but like I said, I can't post there any longer :)) (I guess I could quickly do 6, or 5 more posts after this one, but I think they were supposed to be meaningful :))

Please do not feel intimidated, I do not know about others. But, most of my knowledge (still limited) has been gained from other members posts. It would not take too long to contribute five messages, maybe pics of existing jackets, commenting on others jackets, pics etc. then you can visit the buy/sell page.

unclegrumpy

I think tjoenn's post nicely illustrates who might be swept up in the net if we are not careful. A question that is a barrier to robots and human spam hackers that are trying to quickly break in makes sense. However, creating some question that deflects people with even the faintest sincere interest does not.

Even a crusty bastard like me was new once, and I fondly remember some of the friends I met early on, many that have long since passed, that put up with me and my endless stupid questions. That was long before computers, the internet, and the availability of so many good books or easily accessible information, so most of the knowledge was shared face to face...and I was no doubt annoying at times...hard to imagine that, eh?

I am not bothered at all about the new people with their mall jackets. Given all of the mall jackets sold, it is a rather small group that puts any thought into what they purchased, what it actually may have been modeled after, or who in history actually might have worn something like it. It is really a pretty select few that end up here. And yes, there are some that just want suck knowledge for personal gain or sell some piece of crap they just bought at a thrift store.

However, there are others that are just like each of us once were, who are trying learn something, and become sophisticated enough in their decision making to make a step beyond what they currently have...be that a mall jacket, a more modern issue A-2 or G-1, or maybe what was once the best reproduction, but is not anymore.

There should be an entry question that separates the humans from the robots, but after that we need to be careful. Who knows who the next "expert" will be when the choices are all between seemingly equal young pups? And more importantly, without some nurturing, who can pick that new person from the litter that might become a lifelong friend...the rare person that actually cares or understands what the hell you are talking about? Or has gained enough knowledge to appreciate and want what you might have...and now want to sell?

John Lever

Just send a pm to the seller

Ken at Aero Leather

The guy with the biggest collection of A-2s and insignia that I've ever known walked into The Thrift Shop wearing his first A-2, an Avarix "A-2" with side pockets, a transfer of a B-17 on the back and a quilted padded map lining.
We made him welcome, gently pointed him towards an original, took his Avarix as a trade in and sent him on his way, well and truly hooked.
Over the following years we bought many A-2s from him and sold even more to him, sometimes several jackets a week changed hands. But that was the days when there would be around 100 originals hanging in the shop.
The Avarix? We peeled the tranfer of the back with hot water and sold it in the shop.

veli1

The guy with the biggest collection of A-2s and insignia that I've ever known walked into The Thrift Shop wearing his first A-2, an Avarix "A-2" with side pockets, a transfer of a B-17 on the back and a quilted padded map lining.
We made him welcome, gently pointed him towards an original, took his Avarix as a trade in and sent him on his way, well and truly hooked.
Over the following years we bought many A-2s from him and sold even more to him, sometimes several jackets a week changed hands. But that was the days when there would be around 100 originals hanging in the shop.
The Avarix? We peeled the tranfer of the back with hot water and sold it in the shop.

Ken, Avarix....,really??? I just p**d my pants...lol

tjoenn

Thank you all! I'll pm the seller for now and with this message I'm 4 posts away from 25. Again, very much appreciate being part of this forum with people who are even more passionate about amazing leather jackets than me (among other things).

unclegrumpy

Honestly, there are some serious guys here whose knowledge is really intimidating! ^^ I sometimes feel like I'm a dork when I want to ask some questions

Intimidating? Maybe, but many are just totally full of it too :)

And feeling like a dork? Ha, to be in consideration for that takes 500 or 1000 posts, and to be an officially designated one...which several upper echelon guys still seem to be endlessly arguing about the threshold for...rumor has it, takes at least 2500. All that is certain, is once you get past that point you are there. Good for you you have a ways to go yet!