• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member Notification

tjoenn

859aa92967ef833dccbe5d73f7805e9d.jpg

Here is another from the same flight with a buddy.
I am particularly interested in lively discussions pertaining to current tanning methods.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like the style! Where'd you get the hat?

Lorenzo_l

Here is another from the same flight with a buddy.
I am particularly interested in lively discussions pertaining to current tanning methods.
Tim

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard ! (from another newbie). Lovely jacket and even nicer Cirrus! Is that your ride?

hippiepeacevet

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard ! (from another newbie). Lovely jacket and even nicer Cirrus! Is that your ride?

Hi there,
This belongs to a close family friend.
The make and model is Cessna TTx.
Apparently, it is quite a bit faster than the Cirrus, with no need for an emergency parachute system.
Steve has the aircraft with no decent jacket, but I have the jacket without the aircraft!

Lorenzo_l

Hi there,
This belongs to a close family friend.
The make and model is Cessna TTx.
Apparently, it is quite a bit faster than the Cirrus, with no need for an emergency parachute system.
Steve has the aircraft with no decent jacket, but I have the jacket without the aircraft!

I stand corrected! Looks remarkably like a Cirrus SR-22 that Cessna! Your having the jacket, your friend the aircraft, I guess you complement each other ;)

Here is an interesting comparison of the two aircraft, made by what looks like an independent aviation outfit, if anybody is interested:
https://www.flyhpa.com/2016/02/detailed-comparison-of-the-cessna-ttx-and-cirrus-sr22t-g5/

Both aircraft have essentially the same engine (revved higher in Cessna's version). The comparison shows the different approaches to designing and building a very similar type of aircraft (both look very similar, both are built using composite materials, both the same same engine, both are controlled via a side-stick). The Cessna has an edge on speed, climb rate and glide ratio. The TTx has a 100 lb lighter zero-fuel weight. This plus a higher revved engine contribute to the TTx's higher performance. Other differences are in engine controls and control surfaces. Cessna's aircraft is newer, so I guess they took a long hard look at the SR-22 and got a few tweaks in their design to give it an edge. A noticeable difference, as you mention, is the fact that the TTx does not have a parachute.

hippiepeacevet

I stand corrected! Looks remarkably like a Cirrus SR-22 that Cessna! Your having the jacket, your friend the aircraft, I guess you complement each other ;)

Here is an interesting comparison of the two aircraft, made by what looks like an independent aviation outfit, if anybody is interested:
https://www.flyhpa.com/2016/02/detailed-comparison-of-the-cessna-ttx-and-cirrus-sr22t-g5/

Both aircraft have essentially the same engine (revved higher in Cessna's version). The comparison shows the different approaches to designing and building a very similar type of aircraft (both look very similar, both are built using composite materials, both the same same engine, both are controlled via a side-stick). The Cessna has an edge on speed, climb rate and glide ratio. The TTx has a 100 lb lighter zero-fuel weight. This plus a higher revved engine contribute to the TTx's higher performance. Other differences are in engine controls and control surfaces. Cessna's aircraft is newer, so I guess they took a long hard look at the SR-22 and got a few tweaks in their design to give it an edge. A noticeable difference, as you mention, is the fact that the TTx does not have a parachute.

5cb66cd273959dae8ea689556c546864.jpg

Here is another pic, of my pilot and I, earlier this month.
I really appreciate the fact that he doesn’t feel ay need for an emergency parachute system.
Thanks for the info, and now I can talk more intelligently, during future excursions.

dmar836

The Cirrus are pretty planes but way too expensive when the airframe has a limited life.
I would fly one but understand it's the modern Bonanza - the infamous "Doctor killer". A Bonanza is a baby buggy - it was found pilot overconfidence was the issue for a similar rash of crashes.
As for the chute - when has a plane spontaneously structurally failed and needed such a chute? If one thinks they might need a chute perhaps one should not fly! What we have seen from the Cirrus(dare I say those who fly a Cirrus) is that often it has emboldened pilots to think there is always a safety net and that they are able to take more chances. Such safety measures cannot reverse poor decision making - and statistically THAT is what kills pilots! I have seen little evidence of a BRS bringing its occupants down safely that better decision making wouldn't have done better all while saving a nearly $1M aircraft.
Read their own reports. I would be embarrassed.
https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/safety_programs/w/safety_pages/723.cirrus-caps-history.aspx
Flight into IMC, loss of control, disorientation, fuel starvation? All prevented everyday by care and decision making.
Not dogging the performance of the plane but unfortunately, it is who they are marketing to.
Sorry to hijack. Great jacket!
Dave

hippiepeacevet

The Cirrus are pretty planes but way too expensive when the airframe has a limited life.
I would fly one but understand it's the modern Bonanza - the infamous "Doctor killer". A Bonanza is a baby buggy - it was found pilot overconfidence was the issue for a similar rash of crashes.
As for the chute - when has a plane spontaneously structurally failed and needed such a chute? If one thinks they might need a chute perhaps one should not fly! What we have seen from the Cirrus(dare I say those who fly a Cirrus) is that often it has emboldened pilots to think there is always a safety net and that they are able to take more chances. Such safety measures cannot reverse poor decision making - and statistically THAT is what kills pilots! I have seen little evidence of a BRS bringing its occupants down safely that better decision making wouldn't have done better all while saving a nearly $1M aircraft.
Read their own reports. I would be embarrassed.
https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/safety_programs/w/safety_pages/723.cirrus-caps-history.aspx
Flight into IMC, loss of control, disorientation, fuel starvation? All prevented everyday by care and decision making.
Not dogging the performance of the plane but unfortunately, it is who they are marketing to.
Sorry to hijack. Great jacket!
Dave[/ “Mammas don’t let your babies grow up to....fly a Cirrus!!!

dmar836

It's funny. At OSH '16 we were sitting on the line watching arrivals(the most fun there!) when we started drawing signs. I quickly made one on cardboard saying "Cirrus Mass Arrival" showing multiple Cirrus with parachutes deployed coming down on the dot. It was funny and people stopped to take pics of our group and signs. Apparently someone posted a pic on the Cirrus forum and all hell broke loose. I'm not a member but others sent some of the forum posts to us. Many were threatening, calling me a pussy hiding my N-number, said I was jealous I couldn't afford one, etc. These guys couldn't see the joke or the fun atmosphere of camping at OSH and take their image very seriously. A few did say "maybe we were just some tail dragger guys having some fun" but most wanted a fight. Nobody came by to look us up in '17. Whatever. Just fly the airplane!

jeremiah

Greetings.
My name is Jeremiah and I am relatively new to A2s. I am over on TFL. This is my first A2. A repro by Bill Kelso in experimental HH. Dubow contract drawing.

Attachments

• 3E942864-C51B-415A-8F2D-F4EA5243AE0D.jpeg
    3E942864-C51B-415A-8F2D-F4EA5243AE0D.jpeg
    979.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 39DC8DC6-49C7-4810-853F-95ED64D2BB7F.jpeg
    39DC8DC6-49C7-4810-853F-95ED64D2BB7F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 318

jeremiah

Thanks. I am quite happy with it. Got it off Ebay for half the price of a new one. here are a few more pics. Also posted on TFL.
I am told By BK that this was made with an experimental HH form Japan. It has a pigmented finish on it, but that makes it pretty durable. Still feels like leather to me too. I was watching "The Best Years Of Their Lives" recently and from watching the jacket that the character Fred wears towards end, this jacket drapes and reacts in a similar fashion.

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 295