• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new liner + knits + zipper = $700?

B-Man2

Don’t disagree Burt. But perhaps there is a large niche market for jacket repairs etc in the US. Howver if folks want to provide the kit and you are just sewing, i can’t see how you could make it pay. Like i said in another thread: most folks want something for nothing. Most sellers/suppliers want leadt amount of work & maximum profit.

To get a salary of a paltry $52k p.a., you need to do enough work to get $200 in your pocket per day. You want weekends off right ! You want holiday & a couple of weeks sick so let’s up that to $300 per working day.
You have to have a stock of threads etc and a machine that might cost $10k up front. You need to allow 1 hour per day for general enquiries and those awful customers / potential customers you can't turn away but email you incessantly .....
Because you need to de-construct a jacket in order to re-build it, you do one jacket per day.
Nope, i’ve already put myself off trying it ! TBH i suspect most of us earn more than $ 52k already. So to maintain a higher wage you have to work quicker or charge more. So much more that everyone complains and won’t use you ! Even though they lack your skills and expect people to pay a lot for their skills.

See why no-one does it !! ;)
Dave
Agree with you totally . I was referring to the fact that the U.K. has a greater number of Tier 1 jacket makers than we have here.

Officer Dibley

Dave
Agree with you totally . I was referring to the fact that the U.K. has a greater number of Tier 1 jacket makers than we have here.

Never thought we weren’t on the same page Burt ;)

I was thinking aloud - something one should never do - like public maths right ?! :eek: And joking around of course !!