• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new liner + knits + zipper = $700?

zoomer

What does everyone think of a quote of US$700 to replace knits, liner, and zipper at the same time?

And this is a shop I've thrown a lot of business because of good work at reasonable prices. However, it's all been ordinary alterations to tailored clothing...pants, suits and such.

ausreenactor

Well by the time they ship to ELC, get the work done, ship back from ELC and then add their 20% that would be about right! ;)

B-Man2

Zoomer
Think about having one of the guys on here do the work. It would help them out financially and they’ll probably give you a little more reasonable price in return. I’m having Dave Sheeley restore a jacket for me and he and a couple of other guys on here do great work. Just a thought.

CBI

a place like flightjackets.com runs about $300 for the same work. Probably not quite as good as ELC for example but close IMO.

zoomer

I can't ****ing believe there isn't a tailor somewhere - they don't have to be a leather shop - who can do a reline, reknit and rezip for under $200. Especially when I'm providing all the materials!!!

Spitfireace

I can't ****ing believe there isn't a tailor somewhere - they don't have to be a leather shop - who can do a reline, reknit and rezip for under $200. Especially when I'm providing all the materials!!!
I took my repro to a tailor to get a zipper put in and they told me they don't have a sewing machine that can sew leather jackets. So I took it to a leather guy and he charged me $150 labor. I provided the NOS Talon from MASH Japan. So came to $225, pretty expensive for a zipper replacement. This is in Canada mind you, so about 25% more expensive than US.

Micawber

You are paying for their training time and learned skills to make up a lining and fit it and a zip. If it were that easy you'd be able to do it yourself.

Officer Dibley

It’s simple, factor in the cost of a jacket overhaul into the life cycle cost if you buy nee and plan to keep it.
Factor it into the cost of buying a “cheap” 2nd hand jacket if the lining looks worn.
Decide if you want to protect your investment.
I asked the questions in the thread below. Very glad i had it repaired. If not for me then for the next owner.

And by providing all the materials, you basically forced the tailors to get all their profit only in the work and nor spread across the materials.....
Dave

Ken at Aero Leather

To save £££s I'd suggest removing the old lining, knit and zipper, this isn't a highly skilled job but is very time consuming as it needs to done very carefully, the lining should be taken apart and saved to use as a pattern for the new lining.
It takes at least as long to do all this as it does to fit the new components, should save about half the cost of the full restoration job

PS Aero aren't accepting repairs on other makers jackets so this isn't a plug or an offer

Brettafett

Try and get this done in the UK. Bottom line, replacing knits, lining and zipper is a nightmare and expensive... And the final result is 'chancy' at best.

Ken at Aero Leather

I took my repro to a tailor to get a zipper put in and they told me they don't have a sewing machine that can sew leather jackets. So I took it to a leather guy and he charged me $150 labor. I provided the NOS Talon from MASH Japan. So came to $225, pretty expensive for a zipper replacement. This is in Canada mind you, so about 25% more expensive than US.

A proper leather machine is essential for a good job

Officer Dibley

Try and get this done in the UK. Bottom line, replacing knits, lining and zipper is a nightmare and expensive... And the final result is 'chancy' at best.

Buying from a company that can provide after sales service has to be a consideration when buying. Especially if you want to wear a jacket hard and will need repairs .
That’s why for us European based buyers should buy ELC or Aero : they provide that service.
Buying elsewhere from makers who are already posting very long waiting times and where you might well get charged import tax on your jacket when it is sent back to you is not a great idea.
Just my 2 cents worth .....
Dave

Officer Dibley

Don’t disagree Burt. But perhaps there is a large niche market for jacket repairs etc in the US. Howver if folks want to provide the kit and you are just sewing, i can’t see how you could make it pay. Like i said in another thread: most folks want something for nothing. Most sellers/suppliers want leadt amount of work & maximum profit.

To get a salary of a paltry $52k p.a., you need to do enough work to get $200 in your pocket per day. You want weekends off right ! You want holiday & a couple of weeks sick so let’s up that to $300 per working day.
You have to have a stock of threads etc and a machine that might cost $10k up front. You need to allow 1 hour per day for general enquiries and those awful customers / potential customers you can't turn away but email you incessantly .....
Because you need to de-construct a jacket in order to re-build it, you do one jacket per day.
Nope, i’ve already put myself off trying it ! TBH i suspect most of us earn more than $ 52k already. So to maintain a higher wage you have to work quicker or charge more. So much more that everyone complains and won’t use you ! Even though they lack your skills and expect people to pay a lot for their skills.

See why no-one does it !! ;)