• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New in crate army 1957 Triumph TRW

dinomartino1

New in crate army 1957 Triumph TRW
I missed this story from 2012
I would of been happy just to have the crate.
I have fond memories of the TRW, the first bike I owned when I was 17 way back in 1981.
Not very fast, but being a 500cc side valve was pretty reliable and had a Solex Type 26 carb.
Mine was pretty original but had been painted black. At the time I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole had it had been painted army green it would not have fitted my ton up boy image, I thought I would look like Brando in the Wild One with the the nacelle and rigid frame.
Another one of those things I wish I had never sold that we all regret, I moved on to a pre unit TR6 and then a 63' bonnie but I think I would be happy with a more sedate ride nowadays.

132B_4-1957-Triumph-TRW.jpg

Video and story from the Canadian surplus store that had it here.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2762350/...ore-50-years-after-mysterious-buyers-deposit/

Last edited:

Falcon_52

Amazing find! Wow! I understand the desire to preserve the value of the machine by keeping it in the crate but my personal feeling is that bike should be assembled and ridden. It was born for it. ;)

Officer Dibley

I remember those guys from when i lived there 1990-96. They had an amazing but dusty museum. Odd pair but not as odd as the owner of one of the other surplus shops who like to dress up as a nazi and liked nazism......

ausreenactor

Amazing find! Wow! I understand the desire to preserve the value of the machine by keeping it in the crate but my personal feeling is that bike should be assembled and ridden. It was born for it. ;)

It still is; however, it is brand new and ready to go after a service and possibly a few NOS parts that will now cost a small fortune!!

Bombing IP

When I lived in Michigan there was a company that sold British bikes called British Only .They had in the crate a new Triumph Bonneville from the late 60s new in the crate never opened . If I remember they were in Garden City ,the placed was filled with at least 100 bikes and a massive parts supply stock .

BIP

daw

I grew up (in Calgary, Canada) across the street from the guys in the video, spent many happy hours as a child playing around Crown Surplus with my oldest buddy John, and once upon a time tried out that Triumph, the one that was assembled. I took a spill, got road rash, and have never ridden a motorcycle since.

I first got interested in militaria through my association with these guys. Crown Surplus is a great place to visit if you're ever in that part of the world.

True story, no BS.

Dennis

B-Man2

Great story !
Thanks for posting.
Would love to find a crated up WWII military Harley WLA , and would almost bet the farm that there are a few sitting around in South America or Russia left over from the Lend Lease Day’s. I rode Harley’s for several years and saw bunches of restored original military bikes at the bike rallies in Daytona , Sturgis, Laconia etc. There were Military Harley’s , British Triumphs and Royal Enfields. Would love to have any one of them now. I don’t think the US or the UK military has used motorcycles in quite a while, have they?

dinomartino1

From 2009

FORT BRAGG, N.C. -- Seeing motorcycles on Fort Bragg is fairly common. In the near future, eight motorcycles will join those already on the roads as the Fort Bragg police add a motorcycle patrol.
To get ready for the new motorcycles, Soldiers from military police units across Fort Bragg and Department of Army civilian police officers along with fellow officers from Fort Polk, La. took a Police Motorcycle Operator Safety Course July 20 through 28, at Simmons Army Airfield.

f9Fort_Bragg-.jpg

r.jpg

size0-army.mil-48247-2009-08-18-100806.jpg
f9Fort_Bragg-.jpg
r.jpg

dmar836

They still use off road bikes and quads, don't know about road bikes though.

I think there is a dual sport Kawasaki that I have seen in modern US military livery. I was told they are currently used but never researched it.
I hope to see it if "The Battle in Dakar" ever shows in the theater!
Dave