New in crate army 1957 Triumph TRW

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by dinomartino1, Jan 9, 2019.

1. dinomartino1

dinomartino1 Active Member

New in crate army 1957 Triumph TRW
    I missed this story from 2012
    I would of been happy just to have the crate.
    I have fond memories of the TRW, the first bike I owned when I was 17 way back in 1981.
    Not very fast, but being a 500cc side valve was pretty reliable and had a Solex Type 26 carb.
    Mine was pretty original but had been painted black. At the time I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole had it had been painted army green it would not have fitted my ton up boy image, I thought I would look like Brando in the Wild One with the the nacelle and rigid frame.
    Another one of those things I wish I had never sold that we all regret, I moved on to a pre unit TR6 and then a 63' bonnie but I think I would be happy with a more sedate ride nowadays.

132B_4-1957-Triumph-TRW.jpg

Video and story from the Canadian surplus store that had it here.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2762350/...ore-50-years-after-mysterious-buyers-deposit/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Falcon_52

Falcon_52 Active Member

Amazing find! Wow! I understand the desire to preserve the value of the machine by keeping it in the crate but my personal feeling is that bike should be assembled and ridden. It was born for it. ;)

Thomas Koehle likes this.
  3. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

Very nice. Not into bikes myself, dad was but my leaning is for things with wheels in each corner...

Thomas Koehle likes this.
  4. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

awesome story

5. Officer Dibley

Officer Dibley Well-Known Member

I remember those guys from when i lived there 1990-96. They had an amazing but dusty museum. Odd pair but not as odd as the owner of one of the other surplus shops who like to dress up as a nazi and liked nazism......

dinomartino1 likes this.
  6. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

It still is; however, it is brand new and ready to go after a service and possibly a few NOS parts that will now cost a small fortune!!

7. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Well-Known Member

When I lived in Michigan there was a company that sold British bikes called British Only .They had in the crate a new Triumph Bonneville from the late 60s new in the crate never opened . If I remember they were in Garden City ,the placed was filled with at least 100 bikes and a massive parts supply stock .

BIP

8. daw

daw Active Member

I grew up (in Calgary, Canada) across the street from the guys in the video, spent many happy hours as a child playing around Crown Surplus with my oldest buddy John, and once upon a time tried out that Triumph, the one that was assembled. I took a spill, got road rash, and have never ridden a motorcycle since.

I first got interested in militaria through my association with these guys. Crown Surplus is a great place to visit if you're ever in that part of the world.

True story, no BS.

Dennis

dinomartino1 likes this.
  9. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Great story !
    Thanks for posting.
    Would love to find a crated up WWII military Harley WLA , and would almost bet the farm that there are a few sitting around in South America or Russia left over from the Lend Lease Day’s. I rode Harley’s for several years and saw bunches of restored original military bikes at the bike rallies in Daytona , Sturgis, Laconia etc. There were Military Harley’s , British Triumphs and Royal Enfields. Would love to have any one of them now. I don’t think the US or the UK military has used motorcycles in quite a while, have they?

10. dinomartino1

They still use off road bikes and quads, don't know about road bikes though.

11. dinomartino1

From 2009

FORT BRAGG, N.C. -- Seeing motorcycles on Fort Bragg is fairly common. In the near future, eight motorcycles will join those already on the roads as the Fort Bragg police add a motorcycle patrol.
    To get ready for the new motorcycles, Soldiers from military police units across Fort Bragg and Department of Army civilian police officers along with fellow officers from Fort Polk, La. took a Police Motorcycle Operator Safety Course July 20 through 28, at Simmons Army Airfield.

f9Fort_Bragg-.jpg

r.jpg

size0-army.mil-48247-2009-08-18-100806.jpg f9Fort_Bragg-.jpg r.jpg

B-Man2 likes this.
  12. dinomartino1

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    B-Man2 likes this.
  13. dinomartino1

14. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

I think there is a dual sport Kawasaki that I have seen in modern US military livery. I was told they are currently used but never researched it.
    I hope to see it if "The Battle in Dakar" ever shows in the theater!
    Dave

15. Rory Schultz

Rory Schultz New Member

Sweet Bike, my very first bike in 1969 was a Triumph 650. I now ride 2017 Indian.

dinomartino1 and B-Man2 like this.
  16. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Right there with you.
    After riding Harley’s most of my life that nostalgic Indian Chief Classic would be the one for me!