• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW IN BOX GREENBRIER INDUSTRIES, INC. MA-1 INTERMEDIATE FLYER'S JACKET MIL-J-8279E

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Probably one of the most iconic flight jackets ever designed; the MA-1 Intermediate Flyer's Jacket has a long history that stretches from the mid 50's into the mid 70's when they were replaced by the CWU-45/P made of nomex. But its popularity spread to a non-military audience as well. The MA-1 became an outerwear staple that's seen high fashion reinterpretations for the modern man throughout the world.

Nedless to say, finding a deadstock MA-1 is hard, but finding it with its box is beyond rare. This specific model was the final aviator version (MIL-J-8279E). It was made by the prolific Greenbrier Industries, Inc. in fiscal year, 1976.

The plastic bag was opened at some point, probably for inspection. The condition is flawless which is hard to believe after 46 years. Knits are immaculate which is rare even for NOS examples. Zippers are working perfectly, no rust. Being a highly desirable Medium size, I guess it would be extremely hard to upgrade this one.

Say no more guys, enjoy it!

Regards,
Jorge

B8E6DAA1-EC9D-481E-BE7A-465C6740766D.jpeg
39DC2720-BA32-4750-BF4B-F8271509C28B.jpeg
CFF0B00D-A90E-4C64-B78B-5D4E9664AA99.jpeg
FF50299C-1D7E-43F0-A18B-A6DC1D97E260.jpeg
DCA84AB5-3DB2-4C39-803F-E16EC8E49C27.jpeg
CE2FCEB3-54B3-4982-A125-8A3D709F1B43.jpeg
4D5328F8-C871-4738-BFC1-672083D005C5.jpeg

Last edited:

A2B3G1

1661786976068.jpeg
I humbly apologize in advance as my intent is not (that much) of a thread hijacking.

This OP has a great jacket. I mean, it's nice.

And I can't help but consider it the military inspiration for the "security guard jacket," what old guys everywhere wore for so long that grunge picked up in the 90s before hip-hop did it, too. It jogs my memory in just that way.

But a disclaimer: I call the "security guard jacket" one that is blue; it's not the uber-cool green one above.

Back to the security guard jacket --

I can't remember ... did it have a cameo in "1979" with the Smashing Pumpkins (weirdest lead singer ever)? Kanye West (strange in his own right), I'm pretty sure, has worn something similar. For a fact, I can confirm its status with my old neighbor, who wore a "security guard jacket" on cool fall mornings while raking leaves and sneering at kids who he thought drove by his house too fast. Naturally, he'd finish and ease into a chair on the porch and read the paper -- you know, until he fell asleep and the breeze would pop the pages into his face, startling him awake.

But you can't just have the "security guard jacket" without the square-lens, fishline-rimmed glasses that guys wore with the jackets -- the successors to the chunky 1970s and 80s-plastic brown frames worn by all the 1980-90ish TV news guys (yeah, and Jimmy Swaggart, too). Of course, my old neighbor had these glasses with the jacket.

Yeah, so I can't believe the "Security Guard Jacket" the plant security detail was issued where my dad worked is en vogue. And it's cooler military cousin is getting love on a vintage forum.

Priceless.

So the plant security jackets were blue ... and when you're a saucer-eyed kid these blue jackets become emblems -- sort of relics, now -- of middle-aged guys (and some women, too) donning these in early morning hours over hot coffee as workers popped through the big brass doors on their way to the line. My dad eventually took a "security guard jacket" home and its been in the closet ever since. I hardly ever look at it. Sure, my dad liked it and told me when I was a kid how one of the guards gave it to him and that's how it showed up at the house ... but, never could I quite shake that "Leave it to Beaver" vibe I had the few times I ever wore it. But I must admit that WAS one snug and toasty jacket.

The "Security Guard Jacket" does have cool points ... well, sort of ... with its military tags.

1661786926028.jpeg

1661786973940.jpeg

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Jorge when it comes to flight jackets you are ‘The Hunter’…(nod to the McQueen;)) Thankyou.

Below is my ‘93 version fibre fill & cotton pockets, I think it may be a second because there is a wrinkle from the collar sewing which sort of makes the collar sit very slightly awkward, probably only noticeable to jacket anoraks…

6AEF6D7A-855F-4F47-B0AB-90BE892AF7B1.jpeg
D837DFD8-6796-4A01-B029-8A1208D76BCD.jpeg

Flightengineer

Evidence that time travel exists is getting substantial. All I am waiting for is a thread in which a 2067 flight jacket shows up...

I more than agree and also look forward to one day Jorge will show us some kind of spacesuit or jacket from the 2100, if by that time the politicians have not destroyed our small old planet and in general there will be someone to fly and what to fly on in order to have flight jackets.

Dear guys above, why are you posting this in this beautiful thread dedicated to the original from the time capsule?

Create new thread about MA1 or find mane old one...

bn1966

I had one (73) in XL that I moved on, I wouldn’t wear it because of the original patches and wouldn’t have dreamed of removing them.
Now I’ve got a Greenbrier Civvy ‘vintage’ MA-1.

ausreenactor

Evidence that time travel exists is getting substantial. All I am waiting for is a thread in which a 2067 flight jacket shows up...
No doubt it will be a combat worn jacket belonging to a Ukranian Air Force pilot who is still flying combat missions against Russian forces. In the latest Tesla Fighter. Fuel is no longer a viable logistical element due the rising prices.

Or it could be a Chinese pilots jacket from their base in Guam or Pearl Harbor?

tda003

I still have my MA-1 from long ago. It is far from pristine as befits its wearer. Also have it in blue from my Atlanta PD days, correctly patched.

A2B3G1

The blue one I posted came from the former GM Lakewood Plant in Atlanta off of the University Avenue exit via the downtown connector. You might have driven by the plant at some point.