• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Forum

bfrench

Administrator
deeb7 said:
rikitiki said:
Same here. We can't lose all those valuable tips on the old threads. Plus the old threads are a history of the evolution and the highs and lows of the forum.

It's good to see that already a lot of posts are being carried over ....

But, to me, it was the original Cornell VLJ that was the valuable resource. Most/all of that information was lost, and very little was ever re-posted.

Yes, the last forum had some good threads, but it was difficult to ever find them again. The barely functioning search usually left me scrolling, page by page, through a sea of youtube links, and petty squabbling.

Hi, deeb,

I think most of the search problems arose from the server configuration - it seemed to be the beginning of the slowdown.

Now today - with hardly anyone using the cornellsurgery version of VLJ - it is almost impossible to get anything done - either on the forum or behind the scenes.

It's almost as if iPower - the server company - have thrown up their hands and walked away.

Hopefully this server host - which is dedicated to these type forums - will be much better.

It really hurts to walk away from a couple of years of hard work and start all over again - but when the experts can't help us they're isn't much that we lay people can do.

But - and I say this in all due respect to all our members - with the kind of let's get it going again attitude, it shouldn't take too long to start a real database of jacket info again.

As to the bickering - it's up to all of us as to which direction we take - if we all refuse to get into squabbles by using fact instead of emotion, then we'll be better than ever - and knowing our members - that's the high road they'll take.

And after that little soapbox rambling - I'm off to bed after a 20 hour day and almost another 100 members registered.

Man - it feels good to have the pages just pop up with the click of a mouse button instead of going for a coffee and a sandwich between clicks.

Thanks, guys, for all your understanding and patience.

Bill French

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bfrench said:
Man - it feels good to have the pages just pop up with the click of a mouse button instead of going for a coffee and a sandwich between clicks ....

I always kept another window open, AND overlaid the VLJ page with Solitaire .... :lol:

John Lever

The new speed has really encouraged people to post and made things much more interesting.
Just shows what a problem we had before.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
The new speed has really encouraged people to post and made things much more interesting.
Just shows what a problem we had before.

I agree John. I am also transfering some posts from the old forum in case they disappear!

Andrew

Sensationally quick. I had noticed that the post rate had really dropped off over the last few weeks.

Visiting VLJ recently took even more productive time out of a day but I could only check out a couple of posts before giving in. Thanks for the new site.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
.... I had noticed that the post rate had really dropped off over the last few weeks.

Because for the last week, Andrew, the 'Private members', and their new recruits, were already busy playing over here ......

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Leadsky said:
.... I had noticed that the post rate had really dropped off over the last few weeks.

Because for the last week, Andrew, the 'Private members', and their new recruits, were already busy playing over here ......

Izat still going :shock: Surely it's not still part of this new esteemed egalitarian institution... Unus Membership unus Forum!! (Old Latin saying)

John Lever

Leadsky said:
deeb7 said:
Leadsky said:

Izat still going :shock: Surely it's not still part of this new esteemed egalitarian institution... Unus Membership unus Forum!! (Old Latin saying)

No, no Private members just a small batch of guinea pigs to test out performance.
I can assure you there was nothing sinister or elitist.

bfrench

Administrator
deeb7 said:
Leadsky said:

Hi, deeb,

No preferential treatment here - I picked 10 members at random from the list taking 2 at a time from each letter starting at A.

Second round was a random 10 starting at f - after that the plan I had was to go to 100 members then open it to all starting today but it went so smoothly that we decided to go public - if you will - on late Wednesday or early Thursday.

As a matter of fact - I asked Chris to delete everything we had here late last Saturday night - the database from the old forum backup was corrupt and we only had four members posting - and that was the mods. So early last Sunday morning, I started from scratch making all the forum headings, groups, users and permissions and that took a full 36 hours with little sleep and a lot of relearning the background of how forums are put together.

There was nobody here any longer than two days before we opened it to all the member list.

And, yes, like any bar or private gentlemens' club, there is a back room composed of a few close friends of the forum owner. One of the perks of owning your own establishment.

End of conspiracy theory.

As far as the posts dropping off on the old forum - I think the speed really did us in - people just got fed up.

Bill French

johnnynotoes-1

I'll echo all the praises sung to the harried admin. for the time and work renewing these pages. Thank you folks and fresh hellos to all members.....notoes

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bfrench said:
deeb7 said:

Hi, deeb,

No preferential treatment here ...

And, yes, like any bar or private gentlemens' club, there is a back room ...

End of conspiracy theory ...

Bill French

Thanks Bill,

I don't think I was advancing any conspiracy theory. It is clear from the dates on the Member List, and from the early posts here, how the changeover evolved.

But I do believe, since some of the early recruits were amongst our more prolific posters, that this contributed to the 'Marie Celeste' atmosphere on the last days of the old site.

And yes, I pointed it out to Andrew, but please don't read it as a criticism. I'm more interested in why the Google-bot is allowed to crawl the Member List.

bfrench

Administrator
deeb7 said:
bfrench said:
deeb7 said:

Hi, deeb,

No preferential treatment here ...

And, yes, like any bar or private gentlemens' club, there is a back room ...

End of conspiracy theory ...

Bill French

Thanks Bill,

I don't think I was advancing any conspiracy theory. It is clear from the dates on the Member List, and from the early posts here, how the changeover evolved.

But I do believe, since some of the early recruits were amongst our more prolific posters, that this contributed to the 'Marie Celeste' atmosphere on the last days of the old site.

And yes, I pointed it out to Andrew, but please don't read it as a criticism. I'm more interested in why the Google-bot is allowed to crawl the Member List.

That is something I definitely have to fix - and thanks for finding that - there's no way that we can be successful without you guys finding the leaks.

Update 1 - just went through the Bots permissions and activation list - all bots listed are now deactivated - GoogleBot may have been activated - but try again and see if any updates come up on it.

Update 2- Just did a check on my user name - bfrench and my non-mod user name - wrfrench and both came up under the old cornellsurgery.com/phpBB3 site. Nothing is coming out of http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org.

This may be a result of deactivating all the bots and granting them no permissions.

Hopefully this problem is solved - thanks again deeb for bringing that to our attention.

Bill French

Jake431

Man, a forum so fast, it almost makes me want to try posting again. Great to see it move at the speed of the internet.

Glad you stopped "the Google" from getting us, Bill. Thanks!

-Jake

Icarus

Hello guys, I'm a newbie here. I joined the old forum a couple of months ago but sniffed around a while, doing a bit of "close quarter reconnaissance" and didn't actually post anything. For the record I've currently got three Eastman A-2's and an Aero B-3. I've had an A-2 jacket on my back for the best part of the last twenty years and have usually had them adorned with various artwork. I'm currently having a Korean War blood chit painted on the back of one of my Eastman's and will post pics when I get it back. Good to meet you all.

ausreenactor

To all the guys involved, a job well done. My condolences to those who amassed and lost a hefty post total. Move on...and get to work!! I was glad I had the opportunity to change my name if I wanted to. As an Aussie Reenactor I think it was best to leave it just the way it was. However one alternate did stand out! I was going to pay respect to the forum and what it is in it's own right. The forum is a SENsational Interface Channelling Knowledge and Origins. Or SENICKO for short!! But recall someone mentioned that once in passing?? But enough on that! Appreciate the people who take the time to maintain our little knitting circle. I must admit, I probably read a hundred plus posts for every one I put on..but if the PC had an engine meter on this site I would amaze even myself...

Have fun...

Couchy
TF Eagle Assault
OEF

Cliff

Hallo Chaps !!! Checking in to our new home. Everyone seems to have got here before me !!! This place certainly works fast now, even from across the pond. I feel right at home. The only thing that I need to get used to now is that model of English respectability "Irvin Andrew" has shown his true colours and evolved into " Roughwear" !!!! :D :D ;)

Regards

Cliff