• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Eastman painted + Dubow

B-Man2

Burt, can I ask why you wouldn't wear a painted jacket and would you wear a patched jacket? This is not a rhetorical question, I am always interested in understanding the boundaries between homage, tribute and just plain vintage wear and the attention it can attract. Reenactment and shows are a different narrative and I put them aside vs everyday civilian wear.

And sorry if this is too personal, I'll understand.

Dany
Hi Danny
Ohh not personnel and I enjoy the exchange and the conversation . I think wearing a patched jacket or a painted jacket is all up to the personal choice of the wearer. I admire guys who wear painted and patched jackets . I just can’t pull it off. A number of years ago I wore a patched MA-1 jacket that I put together myself. I wore that jacket until the elbows went threadbare . But that was during the Top Gun days and I was younger and in my mind cooler . I’m not so young these days and definitely not so cool :)

saucerfiend

To slightly change the subject, that Dubow 1755 "without the paint", looks kinda' nice. But when I tried to use their fitting page, it said they couldn't fit me. Anyway I reached out to them with my measurements to see what they say. Got to say it sure looks nice. And that Dubow contract is one I don't have. Very interested!

Brian

B-Man2

To slightly change the subject, that Dubow 1755 "without the paint", looks kinda' nice. But when I tried to use their fitting page, it said they couldn't fit me. Anyway I reached out to them with my measurements to see what they say. Got to say it sure looks nice. And that Dubow contract is one I don't have. Very interested!

Brian
Hey buddy
I know I’m preaching to the choir but as you know , JC makes a drop dead gorgeous 1755, and no fit issues with him .

ausreenactor

Hi Danny
Ohh not personnel and I enjoy the exchange and the conversation . I think wearing a patched jacket or a painted jacket is all up to the personal choice of the wearer. I admire guys who wear painted and patched jackets . I just can’t pull it off. A number of years ago I wore a patched MA-1 jacket that I put together myself. I wore that jacket until the elbows went threadbare . But that was during the Top Gun days and I was younger and in my mind cooler . I’m not so young these days and definitely not so cool :)
Yeah...

'Murder Inc' got me some looks.....

bn1966

Saw some in the flesh recently but wouldn’t pay for or wear the painted ones..especially the ‘Hells Angels’ around these parts. Did buy their early G-1 which I’ll be paying off of my credit card for a bit :)

ausreenactor

Just scored an ELC Pearl Harbor A-2 and the Eastman book for AUD$625 plus post. That leaves me $3300 to get an artist to paint it up to match ELCs latest Elite Unit offering.

Vera?

This is PERFECT for some art...

20211016_080348.jpg
20211015_185930.jpg

veli1

Just scored an ELC Pearl Harbor A-2 and the Eastman book for AUD$625 plus post. That leaves me $3300 to get an artist to paint it up to match ELCs latest Elite Unit offering.

Vera?
Aus, what happened with this jacket (PH)? A damn fine piece of leather..
I'm looking for sz 44 in American Walnut, used of course.
One jacket is sold yesterday on the ebay for less than 300 pounds but size 42..

Kermit3D

I would like to rebound on "the price of art".
I'm a CG artist myself (art director but CG artist first) and I often work with freelance artists. Whether it's digital or traditional painting (like jacket painting), it's pretty similar in approach.

In France, a freelance artist will hardly be able to live with a daily cost of less than 300 - 350 euros. A quality freelance artist with experience will charge more like 400 - 450 euros / day, or more.
An experienced artist who charges 400 euros per day will earn about 2400 euros net per month (after deducting all taxes/charges, only 30-40% of the initial salary is left, without contributions for retirement or vacation) if he works full time, which is very rarely the case.

I have never practiced jacket painting, but I can imagine the production process quite well:
- discussing the project with the client
- making preliminary sketches
- possible modifications of the drawing
- realization of the final painting

This whole process, as I imagine it, takes time that I would estimate at least 3 to 5 days.

If we take the example of an artist who is not too expensive and who asks "only" 300 euros / day, we quickly arrive at a rate of 900 to 1500 euros for the realization of the artwork.
There is undoubtedly a possibility of lowering the costs a little by parallelizing the work... but it is relatively negligible.

Art is expensive, but you have to know that it takes a lot of time.

Chandler

33 like to rebound on "the price of art".
I'm a CG artist myself (art director but CG artist first) and I often work with freelance artists. Whether it's digital or traditional painting (like jacket painting), it's pretty similar in approach.

In France, a freelance artist will hardly be able to live with a daily cost of less than 300 - 350 euros. A quality freelance artist with experience will charge more like 400 - 450 euros / day, or more.
An experienced artist who charges 400 euros per day will earn about 2400 euros net per month (after deducting all taxes/charges, only 30-40% of the initial salary is left, without contributions for retirement or vacation) if he works full time, which is very rarely the case.

I have never practiced jacket painting, but I can imagine the production process quite well:
- discussing the project with the client
- making preliminary sketches
- possible modifications of the drawing
- realization of the final painting

This whole process, as I imagine it, takes time that I would estimate at least 3 to 5 days.

If we take the example of an artist who is not too expensive and who asks "only" 300 euros / day, we quickly arrive at a rate of 900 to 1500 euros for the realization of the artwork.
There is undoubtedly a possibility of lowering the costs a little by parallelizing the work... but it is relatively negligible.

Art is expensive, but you have to know that it takes a lot of time.
3 to 5 days may even be a bit optimistic in my art direction and illustration experience -- depending on the complexity of the image.

Kermit3D

3 to 5 days may even be a bit optimistic in my art direction and illustration experience -- depending on the complexity of the image.
Yes, I totally agree ! 3 to 5 days is valid for a not too complex illustration.
Moreover, the creation of an illustration from scratch is also longer and more expensive than a copy of an existing painting.

Last edited: