• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Eastman painted + Dubow

johnwayne

With all the talk of Dubow A2’s in the recent past I see the Eastman team have reproduced their version along with a 2 new Elite jackets but as to be expected, highly priced too!
Not sure if Gary’s been reading these pages or maybe not judging by the costs - a 1755 contract Dubow at woah….£1100 and a nicely painted 100th BG at a whooping £2600!! As always though, they do look good - liking the Doolittle Raiders A2!!!

John Lever

With all the talk of Dubow A2’s in the recent past I see the Eastman team have reproduced their version along with a 2 new Elite jackets but as to be expected, highly priced too!
Not sure if Gary’s been reading these pages or maybe not judging by the costs - a 1755 contract Dubow at woah….£1100 and a nicely painted 100th BG at a whooping £2600!! As always though, they do look good - liking the Doolittle Raiders A2!!!
See my thread !

Smithy

They make great jackets Wayne but their pricing is ridiculous now considering it's off the rack stuff.

If I was after a jacket with art on it, I'd get a GW - the jacket will be made to measure - and then get Vera or Josh to paint it with a design of my choosing. Why on earth would you want to pay that much for a jacket that some other guy is wearing? For that kind of money I'll have my own art and a jacket made to my measurements thank you very much!

Silver Surfer

Actually, the dubow looks pretty damn nice. However, the war horse hides tend to be heavy and chunky, which is perfect for reproducing some contracts, IMO, but not for dubows…….or at least those originals that I have owned or handled. The team to beat is platons dubows, as they are spot on in terms of hides, and drape. Than again, as that gal in Paris said many years ago,” repro is a repro, is a repro, is a repro”.

Last edited:

mulceber

So, is there a reason to think Ted Lawson would have worn a Rough Wear 23380? He received his pilot's wings over a year before that contract was issued. :rolleyes:

Smithy

If I wanted a jacket painted now, I'd get Vera to do it she's awesome and she's not going to completely shaft you up the backside with what she charges compared to ELC. Plus it's whatever design you want and it's one of a kind.

Why the hell would you want to pay so much money for a painted ELC jacket and some other bugger is wandering around with the same.

Vera all the way chaps!

VeraVoulik

If I wanted a jacket painted now, I'd get Vera to do it she's awesome and she's not going to completely shaft you up the backside with what she charges compared to ELC. Plus it's whatever design you want and it's one of a kind.

Why the hell would you want to pay so much money for a painted ELC jacket and some other bugger is wandering around with the same.

Vera all the way chaps!

Thanks so much saying so!
Indeed, I can make full repro of existing jacket but I can also make a full personnal design like I made on the projetc 'Paper Dream' on the ELC Star. uusally, I listen the project and I make personnal sketches, pictures and else to the point we find something loved to do ;)

Micawber

Vera all the way chaps!

You wait, after Masters Of The Air hits the small screen the same kind of lemming will be buying these as bought the screen printed Memphis Belle jackets after the dodgy remake came out in the early 90's. They will then be strutting their stuff among lesser mortals cocooned in their own little pseudo 1940's bubble.

johnwayne

Off tangent but I actually liked the 90’s version of MB and given the limitations of few B17’s and not so good CGI back then I thought it was brave attempt! That aside I totally agree re getting your own artwork done and from evidence seen, Vera’s work would point me in her direction. That aside too, painted jackets look stunning but not everyday wearers in my opinion. I know this matter has raised its head numerous times here but Eastman must get sufficient interest to offer them yet personally Ive never seen one in the public domain, just at airshows!! Mind you, can honestly say that sighting and A2 or another good repro in public is quite rare but if I had a £ for every MA1 fashion style ‘copy’ I’ve seen I'd be a few £’s better off!!!

B-Man2

I love original painted jackets, but I would never wear a repro painted one .Just as JW said above the only time I’ve seen someone wearing one has been at air shows , military events , and military collectable shows. 95% of the time worn by old dudes not young or middle age guys . As an “old dude” i hope I can say this without offending anyone here.

jerome35

I love original painted jackets, but I would never wear a repro painted one .Just as JW said above the only time I’ve seen someone wearing one has been at air shows , military events , and military collectable shows. 95% of the time worn by old dudes not young or middle age guys . As an “old dude” i hope I can say this without offending anyone here.

It raised the question "Am I an old dude?" :D I wear the 'Chapel In The Flak' made by Vera to go to work and it has impressed a lot of colleagues and many pupils asking about the story behind. I won't wear a pin-up one at work but a B-17 suits well for work ;)

Micawber

Off tangent but I actually liked the 90’s version of MB and given the limitations of few B17’s and not so good CGI back then I thought it was brave attempt! That aside I totally agree re getting your own artwork done and from evidence seen, Vera’s work would point me in her direction. That aside too, painted jackets look stunning but not everyday wearers in my opinion. I know this matter has raised its head numerous times here but Eastman must get sufficient interest to offer them yet personally Ive never seen one in the public domain, just at airshows!! Mind you, can honestly say that sighting and A2 or another good repro in public is quite rare but if I had a £ for every MA1 fashion style ‘copy’ I’ve seen I'd be a few £’s better off!!!

Ah, I've been involved with the 91st for a good few years so had a belly full of the pro's and cons of the remake most of it from veterans who are no longer with us. I have some correspondence dating from the early '90's on file here between Belle pilot Bob Morgan and co-pilot Jim Verinis about finding somewhere to get a couple of repro A-2's and where to get them painted.

Dany McDonald

Burt, can I ask why you wouldn't wear a painted jacket and would you wear a patched jacket? This is not a rhetorical question, I am always interested in understanding the boundaries between homage, tribute and just plain vintage wear and the attention it can attract. Reenactment and shows are a different narrative and I put them aside vs everyday civilian wear.

And sorry if this is too personal, I'll understand.

Dany

B-Man2

It raised the question "Am I an old dude?" :D I wear the 'Chapel In The Flak' made by Vera to go to work and it has impressed a lot of colleagues and many pupils asking about the story behind. I won't wear a pin-up one at work but a B-17 suits well for work ;)
Oops!:oops:
No offense taken I hope, but I guess the term “old dude” is relative . Sort of depends on what side of 50 you happen to be on. If your in your 30s ….. then 50 might make you the Old Dude in the crowd …. But if you’re 70 then 50 would be the “young dude” Of course if you’re over 70 …. Your screwed because you’re the old dude in every crowd ! Not an opinion, just me speaking from experience ;)