• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Catch-22 mini series - George Clooney to Direct

Smithy

Must be... Flyboys was a better film, marginally. Better CGI. Redtails did have ONE redeeming factor. The jackets. A-2s were lovely! (ELC's modified B-10s were nice also).

What we need is Ridley Scott's Battle of Britain film, the Eighth Air Force mini series, and Sir PJ to make a WWI aviation flick using all the aircraft he has at Omaka. That would be me sorted for quite some time.

Brettafett

Yes, at least two of those confirmed, and the Catch-22 series, which may surprise us... Jackets so far look good.
(theres also that Bruce Willis film mmmm dare I say it...)
I would like to add to your list though Tim. I want an AVG film, or better yet, series. Theres such a story there, so many 'real' larger than life characters and stories. So many books written and personal accounts, its a well-spring of engaging, emotive and exciting material.
There was something Tom Cruise and Liam Neeson were involved in a few years ago, but it evaporated.... Now theres only John Woo's project, which is supposed to be a big budget full-action film/ mini series, but this has also gone quiet.

Smithy

I wouldn't hold my breath for the John Woo one Brett sadly. A mini-series of the AVG would be great and arguably the best format for telling their story. There's probably more scope for this to happen after 8th AF which could see a few projects riding on its coat tails.

The Cruise Missile has been involved in a few aviation projects which never made it. He was going to do the story of Billy Fiske but that fell through. Billy is one of my greatest heroes and I've been collecting info on him for years (I've even got some private photos from the family) and his story really deserves telling but properly. He was one of the most remarkable people, one of The Few, double Olympic bob gold medallist, probably the greatest Cresta Run rider ever (he never fell on the Run and his fastest time from Top wasn't broken until 1955), film producer, instrumental in starting the Aspen ski resort area, chum of the Bentley Boys (as well as owning a Works spec Blower Bentley), and on top of it all, and although he was hugely wealthy, a very humble, charming and down to earth character. If ever somebody's story deserves to be told on the silver screen it's Billy's.

Another one I would have loved to have seen finished was the Coen brothers' adaptation of James Dickey's (of "Deliverance" fame) "To The White Sea", the story of a B-29 tail gunner shot down during one of the fire bombing missions over Tokyo. One of my favourite novels and the film could have been truly amazing - if you know the book you'll know why.

Brettafett

Agree 100% about John Woo... it will be terrible. Explosions, explosions, shouting, noise. Explosions! Slow motion explosions and noise.

To The White Sea - I will look into it, not read that! Thanks!

Smithy

To The White Sea - I will look into it, not read that! Thanks!

It's incredible. Dickey was first and foremost a poet (he said he only wrote novels to pay the bills) and the writing is sublime, it is stunningly beautiful in how it is written. Which is juxtaposed against the story which is very violent. Brilliant book, definitely get a copy.

Apparently the film not getting made is one of the greatest regrets of the Coens and Brad Pitt (who was to star as Muldrow, the main character).

Last edited:

Brettafett

Ordered! Its right up my street. WW2 aviation and bushcraft/ wilderness survival. Love this stuff! Such a pity theres no film. Yet. Thanks for the tip.

Smithy

Ordered! Its right up my street. WW2 aviation and bushcraft/ wilderness survival. Love this stuff! Such a pity theres no film. Yet. Thanks for the tip.

Happy to help, I'm just pleased someone else will get to enjoy this amazing book Brett. Once you've read it and if you're interested, send me a PM, I have a copy of one of the last versions of the film script which is very interesting to see after reading the novel.

Tommy

Most probably!! I'm not a fan of vodka, not at all, but it's the second time I've tasted it, and this one is a hit for me. Maybe because it's made out of potatoes instead of grain?

The chaps from 303 Squadron Vodka are pretty fun too. They have a wonderful display tent, all made to look like an RAF briefing tent, with loads of artifacts and pictures. The main sales guys knows a lot about 303 Squadron. He's got a real passion about aviation, and dug quite deep in the story of the squadron. I also appreciated a lot the fact that they blantly told us they were not gonna bullshit us by saying they found the receipt those guys used to make their vodka back then, but simply did a lot of research and went with the closest thing that can be done now.

They also make some fantastic display crates, with a big tall flask and some shot glasses. Too bad I was running out of money! :p

Vodka-303-Squadron.jpg

Potatoes?? Are you sure its not Poitín??

Spitfireace

One guy who supplied patches for the movie Redtails was Roberto in Italy who makes an authentic incised patch for shoulder etc. here is a patch he made for me.

Attachments

• 20180921_090953_Burst01[1].jpg
    20180921_090953_Burst01[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 151

Rutger

Roberto the Italian Patchmaker. Great incised patches. Member on this forum, though not actively posting anymore I think.
I have a patch of the 95th Fighter Sqn of his on my ELC A-2.

Catch 22 . Not reading it is not an option. If you haven't read it : buy it somewhere. Now.

Spitfireace

Roberto the Italian Patchmaker. Great incised patches. Member on this forum, though not actively posting anymore I think.
I have a patch of the 95th Fighter Sqn of his on my ELC A-2.

Catch 22 . Not reading it is not an option. If you haven't read it : buy it somewhere. Now.
yes he is a good artist... not in it for the money.. these days but if you ask will still do a nice patch.