• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Catch-22 mini series - George Clooney to Direct

MeachamLake

I’m pretty sure this is all Eastman? I had read that Gary wanted Clooney to wear an A-1 but he didn’t want a jacket in that heat...

Brettafett

That was me... I spoke to Gary about it at the Airshow a few months back. Interesting stuff, but yes... I'd take one for the team and wear a darn ELC A-1 if Gary Eastman offer one to me, despite the balmy Sardinian weather.

Grant

Sorry, I don't get it. Why remake a Mike Nichols classic that's in no need of a remake? That opening scene of all those real B-25's taxing and taking off is still pretty bitchin.
Also, as nice as the ELC jackets look, they don't come close the originals worn in the, er, the original film.
I read Ellen Kuras signed on as the cinematographer. I love her dearly and have worked with her before, but trying to top the way David Watkin filmed the original is a pretty tall order.

That said, I applaud Clooney and Hulu for bringing another WWII aviation film to life!

Brettafett

Absolutely agree Grant,

I guess, if you have the cash and resources and are passionate about something, even if it means 're-creating' something, then who is to stop you.
Even if its good, and I hope it is... it will still never be the same as the original. They never are. Will be fun to watch though, sure.

Would think with all the fantastic stories out there, there'd be so much material to make a cracking original war film or series.
Films like Dark Blue World and recently Unbroken, show that WW2 aerial battles can be done decently, without a squadron of real aircraft or resorting to poor CGI.

Heres hoping for an AVG film or mini series!

Cocker

While re-reading the Hell Hawks book, I cannot help telling myself this would make for a helluva mini series too. Lots of action, air to air, bombing, CAS... Also, some pretty hairy escapes.

Yup, that would be terrific!

Edward

I never read the book for Catch 22 but the movie was a hard pill to swallow and I felt like I was the one going insane watching it.. which I guess means it worked because it was sort of the point LOL! I will be curious to see how Clooney reimagines it and hopefully makes the ending a tad less ambiguous. Being insane and stuck there in his head and not able to leave the mission? or did he leave in his head? maybe I need to read the book. lol! Anyway, the B-25 scenes were amazing but for a dark comedy it was really disturbing.

Teddy

@Edward You should read the book, too. Almost every page of that book makes me crack, even when my English was very rudimentary a decade ago.

Edward

I always felt the final episode of M*A*S*H was loosely based on Catch-22. I came away with basically the same feelings as the Catch-22 film as I did that last episode.

Spitfireace

Absolutely agree Grant,

I guess, if you have the cash and resources and are passionate about something, even if it means 're-creating' something, then who is to stop you.
Even if its good, and I hope it is... it will still never be the same as the original. They never are. Will be fun to watch though, sure.

Would think with all the fantastic stories out there, there'd be so much material to make a cracking original war film or series.
Films like Dark Blue World and recently Unbroken, show that WW2 aerial battles can be done decently, without a squadron of real aircraft or resorting to poor CGI.

Heres hoping for an AVG film or mini series!
Not specifically about Catch-22 but still within the realm of recent WW2 movies is Hurricane. I've downloaded it but haven't watched it yet. IMDB synopsis quote"Hurricane (Squadron 303) is the story of a group of brave Poles who fought in the skies over England in WW2, not just to keep Great Britain free from the Nazis, but also to keep alive the very idea of their own country, which had existed in its modern form for barely twenty years before it was crushed between the opposing jaws of Germany and Russia. Equipped with the almost-obsolete Hurricane and (with some initial reluctance) given RAF blue uniforms, while they fought, Poland lived."
Didn't seem to get the best rating on IMDB (5.9) but might be worth a watch. Anyone seen it?

Smithy

Not specifically about Catch-22 but still within the realm of recent WW2 movies is Hurricane. I've downloaded it but haven't watched it yet. IMDB synopsis quote"Hurricane (Squadron 303) is the story of a group of brave Poles who fought in the skies over England in WW2, not just to keep Great Britain free from the Nazis, but also to keep alive the very idea of their own country, which had existed in its modern form for barely twenty years before it was crushed between the opposing jaws of Germany and Russia. Equipped with the almost-obsolete Hurricane and (with some initial reluctance) given RAF blue uniforms, while they fought, Poland lived."
Didn't seem to get the best rating on IMDB (5.9) but might be worth a watch. Anyone seen it?

I haven't seen the whole film but the problem with "Hurricane" judging from the trailer is that it sensationalises the story of 303. It looks to have all the war flick cliches along with the frantically overdone CGI. The real story of 303 is such a wonderful one and it doesn't need all this stupid tarting up, so it's a shame that they appear to have made it in the manner that they have. There's been some really tremendous books about 303 over the last decade or so which have really done the squadron justice, it's a shame then that filmmakers seem to have to resort to the tired cliches and overwrought storylines to tell a story which doesn't need that crap to highlight the courage and achievements of these men.

Cocker

Speaking about Squadron 303, look what I brought back from Melun airshow:

vodka-squadron-303-reservoir-auxiliaire.jpg

Spitfireace

I haven't seen the whole film but the problem with "Hurricane" judging from the trailer is that it sensationalises the story of 303. It looks to have all the war flick cliches along with the frantically overdone CGI. The real story of 303 is such a wonderful one and it doesn't need all this stupid tarting up, so it's a shame that they appear to have made it in the manner that they have. There's been some really tremendous books about 303 over the last decade or so which have really done the squadron justice, it's a shame then that filmmakers seem to have to resort to the tired cliches and overwrought storylines to tell a story which doesn't need that crap to highlight the courage and achievements of these men.
Sounds a bit like Redtails which really was such a waste of good A-2 repros etc.

Cocker

Most probably!! I'm not a fan of vodka, not at all, but it's the second time I've tasted it, and this one is a hit for me. Maybe because it's made out of potatoes instead of grain?

The chaps from 303 Squadron Vodka are pretty fun too. They have a wonderful display tent, all made to look like an RAF briefing tent, with loads of artifacts and pictures. The main sales guys knows a lot about 303 Squadron. He's got a real passion about aviation, and dug quite deep in the story of the squadron. I also appreciated a lot the fact that they blantly told us they were not gonna bullshit us by saying they found the receipt those guys used to make their vodka back then, but simply did a lot of research and went with the closest thing that can be done now.

They also make some fantastic display crates, with a big tall flask and some shot glasses. Too bad I was running out of money! :p

Vodka-303-Squadron.jpg

Smithy

Story was horrible and santioned by Stephen Speilberg.

Is that "Redtails"? I never saw it and don't plan to either. Looked like "Flyboys" (ugh) with P-51s.

Cèdric, the booze looks great. Looks like I might have to go a bit more upmarket than the usual Stoli next time I buy some vodka.

Brettafett

Must be... Flyboys was a better film, marginally. Better CGI. Redtails did have ONE redeeming factor. The jackets. A-2s were lovely! (ELC's modified B-10s were nice also).

ties70

Must be... Flyboys was a better film, marginally. Better CGI. Redtails did have ONE redeeming factor. The jackets. A-2s were lovely! (ELC's modified B-10s were nice also).

I didn't know that ELC supplied B-10s for "Red Tails" as well...I thought they all came from THE FEW, at least mine did...

Last edited: