• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW BS from "The Bay"

DiamondDave

Ever gotten a "neutral" feedback left for you on eBay? Well, if you have been diligently watching your ebay feedback score, and working hard to resolve any issues with buyers or sellers, in an effort to maintain a high standard...now you're F@*KED! Ebay, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that all feedbacks now count, including neutrals towards an overall score. This means that any neutral score that you have gotten now basically counts as a negative and decreases your score in exactly the same way!! Thoughts anyone, or am I the only one that really cares about the "honor" that is involved here??

Lets Chat,

DD

hacker

A lot of neutrals seem to be for slow delivery which is really B.S.!!!!........If they changed it, might as well be positive or negative!

Hacker

Hawkeye

Does ebay not realize that without sellers there would be no ebay? Because it seems like theyre doing their best to alienate good sellers. Eventually all of these changes will come back and bite them, hard.

DiamondDave

PLUS!

Get this arrogance! Now as a seller, I am no longer allowed to leave anything but "positive" feedback PERIOD. So any little buyer that doesn't like a seller for whatever reason, can leave whatever they like and the seller is screwed?? This is getting out of hand.... maybe Steve Jobs should step in and create an auction site to compete with these arrogant SOB's.

Name it the "apple-bin"...oh well, guess I am "preaching to the choir", I will stop ranting.

DD

Andrew

The new ruling for feedback just doesn;t make any sense, the only thing stopping someone with a peeve responding poorly is the implied threat that it may be reciprocal.

With regard to alternatives, there's been a lot of discussion here about going to alternative auction sites with this new stunt of paypal only payments (aparently Australia is one of the main users of what's called direct deposit whereby you just put the money in the other persons bank account without charge) and there is one operating here called "Oztion" or something silly like that. It's very ebay looking in its appearance and operation but I can see that type of thing working if you are selling generic crap, not specific collectables such as militaria.

At this stage the number of people looking at these types of sites isn't very large so the market's too small. I personally wouldn't want to put a valuable jacket up for sale as I would want every person interested in jackets worldwide to have a shot at buying mine. I have seen a few guys who are regular ebay sellers now operating there and hopefully it will grow.

mazeta

They can pound sand. As far as I'm concerned, a seller can have less than 100% feedback due to some 'neutral' feedback, but I'll still consider it as 100% if he/she has no negatives.

Hamsterbear

My feedback just jumped from 460 to 495, just like that- and now I have 100% positive, even though ONE idiot seller left me spite feedback 5 years ago, branding me with a 98.8% score for years..... If you read their explanation, they think they are correcting some of the flaws in the system, people being held "hostage", spite or retaliatory feedback, and so on.
Either way, I don't really give a crap, as so many people don't bother to leave me feedback even though the transaction went very well, maybe they gave up on it years ago. :roll:
-Brian

A

Anonymous

DiamondDave said:
Ever gotten a "neutral" feedback left for you on eBay? Well, if you have been diligently watching your ebay feedback score, and working hard to resolve any issues with buyers or sellers, in an effort to maintain a high standard...now you're F@*KED! Ebay, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that all feedbacks now count, including neutrals towards an overall score. This means that any neutral score that you have gotten now basically counts as a negative and decreases your score in exactly the same way!! Thoughts anyone, or am I the only one that really cares about the "honor" that is involved here??

Lets Chat,

DD
Here is another kick in the pants, you sell something, and the buyer refuses to pay, you leave negative feedback. In retaliation the buyer leaves you negative feedback, however you have done nothing wrong. Ebay never looks at the justification.

Tariacuri

Hamsterbear said:
My feedback just jumped from 460 to 495, just like that- and now I have 100% positive, even though ONE idiot seller left me spite feedback 5 years ago, branding me with a 98.8% score for years..... If you read their explanation, they think they are correcting some of the flaws in the system, people being held "hostage", spite or retaliatory feedback, and so on.
Either way, I don't really give a crap, as so many people don't bother to leave me feedback even though the transaction went very well, maybe they gave up on it years ago. :roll:
-Brian

Mine just jumped by 150 feedbacks - very strange

DiamondDave

Yes the jump is nice, due to the fact that they are now applying ALL of the feedbacks left by any single buyer... thats all well and good, but, the crap part being that Neutrals now translate to Negatives, and your overall score suffers. The other point being that someone pointed out that you leave a negative for someone if they don't pay... Can't do it! It is now simply impossible for a seller to leave anything other than a positive.

Its a conundrum to me how this helps anyone but the buyers. And yet as previoously stated, its the sellers that make ebay ALL of the money?? Costs buyers nothing,and yet the outrageous fees are levied on the "bread-winners", as it were.

Logical? I think not.

mazeta

DiamondDave said:
Yes the jump is nice, due to the fact that they are now applying ALL of the feedbacks left by any single buyer... thats all well and good, but, the crap part being that Neutrals now translate to Negatives, and your overall score suffers. The other point being that someone pointed out that you leave a negative for someone if they don't pay... Can't do it! It is now simply impossible for a seller to leave anything other than a positive.

Its a conundrum to me how this helps anyone but the buyers. And yet as previoously stated, its the sellers that make ebay ALL of the money?? Costs buyers nothing,and yet the outrageous fees are levied on the "bread-winners", as it were.

Logical? I think not.
Agreed. I've been on eBay for over 10 years, with 100% feedback. My feedback score jumped by about 50, but because of ONE neutral I received a few months ago, my score is now 99.5%.
I think so many people have been negatively affected by this, that it will now force people to read the feedback page and not depend solely on the percentage score.
As far as non-paying bidders, the seller can still report them as such (although they can't leave negative feedback), and buyers can get their eBay accounts yanked if they rack up too many complaints from sellers.

havocpaul

For me the rule that stinks most is not being able to leave anything but positive for buyers...so the crook that got my item and then did a charge-back through Paypal cannot be left the negative and warning to other sellers that he deserves and yet he could leave me neg....eBay needs their sellers so should remember this when they keep moving the goalposts.

mazeta

I did some more thinking about this...as much as it pisses me off, I see why eBay is doing this.
Buyers are what keep eBay in business, and the old system put sellers in the position of being able to use retaliatory feedback to keep a buyer from accurately rating a bad seller.
Keep the buyers happy and continue to attract new ones. Encourage them to use PayPal (owned by eBay). Sellers will come and go, and currently there is no real alternative to eBay, so any seller that wants to make a serious living selling things on The Internets with little or no tax liability will have no alternative venues. They must live with the new terms and if necessary, clean up their act if they happen to be a lousy seller.
Think of the 'Allamericanheroes' of eBay...and how long they'll last with this new system.