• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Back Panel?

zoomer

Has anyone done this? Is it a good way to size up a jacket?

Assuming a 1 piece back design, is it more or less work than piecing in side panels?

While we're messing with it - would it allow for a size bigger collar to be put on?

(Just some ideas to explore in case my used jackets won't sell. If I'm gonna be stuck with them, I want them to fit!!!)

Last edited:

Persimmon

Getting the leather to look correct and to match the aging etc would be difficult.
A extra larger back would be out of kilter with the front and the pit to pit would still be same but with a baggy back and a out of shape knit.
Then you would have to replace the knit all around
To much effort for so little gain and destroying the jacket.
Usual advise we all hear and know. If it doesn’t fit then sell it and get a bigger jacket is smart advise.

zoomer

I am not sure what would keep the front from being more roomy if the back were made bigger.

Isn't the pit-pit measured with the jacket fastened and flattened? Yes, the side seams would move inward, but pit-pit ≠ seam-seam.

Persimmon

If you only do aback panel you are collecting to the two sides
The two sides are wear youmeasure pit to pit from.
So if you were measuring a jacket and the front pit to pit was 21 inches. The normal back would be the same.
A wider back might be measured at 23 inches but it would be looser but the front remains the same.
So the jacket would have its sides wrapped backwards and not fit correct - and of course that’s even providing you got a better fitting knit.
By all means cut the jacket up to reassure yourself. It’s yours after all. And you can always go out and buy a bigger fitting one afterwards.

zoomer

Does this have to do with the armholes keeping the back/front panels where they are? Maybe side panels would be the way to go after all...with vee inserts under the arms as needed.

No, of course I'm not cutting a perfectly good jacket up just because its too small! This is all theoretical as yet.

IDK about you, but I feel there are very few ideas too stupid to discuss, if the cost isn't prohibitive and some ingenuity could be used to make them work.

I do agree, and it looks like you do, too, that craftsmanship these days goes better with conservatism than ingenuity.

Last edited:

zoomer

Dubow A-2s (and faithful repros) have wider back panels than front panels. How is that workable?

Ken at Aero Leather

To get the pit to pit................. which is half the circumference of the chest.................... there is only one way to measure any jacket whether it's got side panels or not, whether the back is smaller or larger than the sum of the fronts, doesn't matter

Zip it up, lay it flat, measure from one edge to the other, Simple

I can't understand why so many people don't understand

Micawber

To get the pit to pit................. which is half the circumference of the chest.................... there is only one way to measure any jacket whether it's got side panels or not, whether the back is smaller or larger than the sum of the fronts, doesn't matter

Zip it up, lay it flat, measure from one edge to the other, Simple

I can't understand why so many people don't understand

Lol, take your choice...

"Making a meal of it"
"Turning a molehill into a mountain"
"Doing it the hard way"

"Turning a Sunday stroll into an Everest expedition"

:D

zoomer

If your new back panel accommodates, not just bigger armholes, but a bigger neckline...then what's keeping the front panel in place???

(Don't make me post drawings...'cause I will if I have to! :cool:)

tibor

Ha, that’s the spirit!

I think only sorrow and regret could possibly follow this course; I think you’d end up with a big balloon-y puffed out back, like you were riding a motorcycle in a windbreaker everywhere you went. A VERY good tailor may pull it off, accommodating the sleeve attachment, collar and re-tensioning the waistband, but you’d almost be better off putting in a M-422 pleat, at least it would lay down.