• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New B3 Jacket, but which one?

MikeyB-17

Hang around Duxford for a while, sure somebody will sort you out!
Now you’re experiencing the anticipation of a new jacket, waiting for that box to arrive! Enjoy my son! Sounds like you’ve been bitten by the bug! :D

s4rmark

Good choice of jacket the D-1, it's on my list for the future. If you want an arm patch Aero have the option of the usaaf winged star shoulder decal that can be added . This would be authentic.

riopaulf

Hang around Duxford for a while, sure somebody will sort you out!
Now you’re experiencing the anticipation of a new jacket, waiting for that box to arrive! Enjoy my son! Sounds like you’ve been bitten by the bug! :D

Lol I definitely think so! I’m a driving instructor in my day job so I always feel like I’m going in to battle. My students try their best to kill me. Just about hanging in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

riopaulf

Good choice of jacket the D-1, it's on my list for the future. If you want an arm patch Aero have the option of the usaaf winged star shoulder decal that can be added . This would be authentic.

Cheers for that s4mark [emoji106] I’ll wait and see what it fits like first, maybe. Although, saying that, getting Aero to do it for me would be optimal, I’m not good with a needle and thread [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

stanier

Cheers for that s4mark [emoji106] I’ll wait and see what it fits like first, maybe. Although, saying that, getting Aero to do it for me would be optimal, I’m not good with a needle and thread [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hi Riopaulf,

The decals are usually water slide type or iron on I think, rather than stitch or paint on although both are possible with variant style options. I had a very nice 8th Air Force multi part leather shoulder patch once, but not very authentic and likely even less so on a D-1.

Whatever, certainly with ELC but I’m not sure with Aero, the decal renders the jacket non-returnable. For the sake of a bit more waiting and few quid, and assuming you want the standard decal, then let the jacket arrive, try it on and be sure it’s what you want, then send it back to have the decal applied.

riopaulf

Guys I am getting myself a bit confused about correct sleeve length on this D1 I’ve ordered from Aero.
Should sleeves be slightly on the short side to look more authentic? The photos I included of a lovely Redskin (further up this thread) were judged as wrong arm length. Advice please! [emoji3]
Thank you

Steve27752

Guys I am getting myself a bit confused about correct sleeve length on this D1 I’ve ordered from Aero.
Should sleeves be slightly on the short side to look more authentic? The photos I included of a lovely Redskin (further up this thread) were judged as wrong arm length. Advice please! [emoji3]
Thank you

Sleeve length is a personal choice. I prefer my sleeves to be at the arm wrist joint. Some prefer longer or shorter. There are numerous photos of B-3's with the cuffs rolled up.

MikeyB-17

Pretty sure Aero will have it all covered. The sleeves are way too long in the one you posted the other day, but like I said unless you are a gorilla or have unusually short arms I’m sure you will be fine.
Should they be too short to be authentic? No. These were issued jackets. The quartermaster chucked them at you and you wore what you were given, and that went for A-2’s and all the military jackets we discuss. Nowadays we pay a fair wedge and expect them to fit perfectly, but in terms of authenticity there’s no correct fit. Fit was all over the place back then. Like Steve says, you will see many pics of guys with their sleeves rolled up, especially ground crew with D-1’s.

B-Man2

Mikey is spot on with his reply. These jackets were simply a piece of kit and not the fashion statement some make it out to be. today. If they could fit into the jacket and use it for their mission and flight line work then they were good to go.

riopaulf

Getting more and more excited about this jacket. However, I’m getting concerned that the cold days aren’t that cold now. Where’s the gales and terrible freezing conditions. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

riopaulf

D-1 finally arrived from Aero. I love it!!! Love the colour, the light weight - not as heavy as a 6kg Irvin that's for sure, practical, suited for UK climate. Stylish!!
What do you all think? Is the fit ok??
09b5f08306f384f78794ed6d782ab14b.jpg
198ad4131684f978229638c50b941de6.jpg
cc3ab69cb82b5b30a74177a98cc819df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

riopaulf

I really want to thank each and every one of you who has contributed advice to my thread. You have all been great. I am totally hooked on this group and love learning each time I visit the forum. No doubt I will order from Aero again, the wait for worth it. Thanks guys. X

riopaulf

Looking good! Glad you’re pleased with it. Be aware it won’t be too long before you start eyeing up the next one!
I know!! I've saved another 200 towards the next one... I will need a bigger wardrobe too.

AND...
I bumped in go a mate who has been having flying lessons. I have the coat now, so why not?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji927]