• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New B3 Jacket, but which one?

A2 B3au

AA4BBD26-E60F-47DA-9ECB-82B3A0E66E9E.jpeg
The bi swing is the pleated area at the back it allows movement and results in a slitghtly tailored in jacket in my case ,the d1 is just plain at the back

riopaulf

Damn it! It’s all so confusing. I love them all. Looking again at the B-3 and the USAAF version at the Aero site. Really gorgeous. Is the co figuration Redskin with accents of seal brown?
bc08e0931fb6ff009d2155c67911b84b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stanier

Stanier, sweet looking D-1! How long have you had it?

Thanks Grant! I’be had it 10 or so years. I got it from the ELC tent at Flying Legends I think in 2007. It’s got Crown zips on; I think now ELC use Kwiks. The “paint” or whatever it is they use to make the outer surface brown is just a little worn on the underside of the cuffs, and there’s a couple of worn spots on the edge of the fleece with more than a bit of LVC indigo dye round the waist area, but other than that as good and warm as the day I got it!

stanier

Damn it! It’s all so confusing. I love them all. Looking again at the B-3 and the USAAF version at the Aero site. Really gorgeous. Is the co figuration Redskin with accents of seal brown?
bc08e0931fb6ff009d2155c67911b84b.jpg

I love those Aero B-3’s. The only thing to my eye, is that the horse arm panels seem very straight edge and triangular shaped compared to other makers, but that could well be my eyes! The fleece and surface looks incredible though, much better than ELC. I’d love to see some detail pics and understand the horse arm panels better.

Carl

Thanks Grant! I’be had it 10 or so years. I got it from the ELC tent at Flying Legends I think in 2007. It’s got Crown zips on; I think now ELC use Kwiks. The “paint” or whatever it is they use to make the outer surface brown is just a little worn on the underside of the cuffs, and there’s a couple of worn spots on the edge of the fleece with more than a bit of LVC indigo dye round the waist area, but other than that as good and warm as the day I got it!
What size is it Chris ?

riopaulf

I love those Aero B-3’s. The only thing to my eye, is that the horse arm panels seem very straight edge and triangular shaped compared to other makers, but that could well be my eyes! The fleece and surface looks incredible though, much better than ELC. I’d love to see some detail pics and understand the horse arm panels better.

Here’s another image that may help...
86f44f89eac3dc0e0fd01442a10aa521.jpg

D97x7

As much as I love mine, you're right, they do take some dedication to wear. Something which I personally seem to like.

riopaulf

I love my D-1 which is an ELC, though if I were buying one now I’d probably go for the Aero Redskin D-1.

Don’t underestimate the warmth of a D-1, or I presume B-6. They are well able to cope with all but the very coldest UK days and if, as a driving instructor, you’re hopping in and out of cars you will likely find either jacket too much, particularly if you’re sharing the vehicle with a less warmly clad student and need the heating on! IMHO, a B-3 or Irvin would be out of the question in this scenario, unless you’re giving driving lessons north of Aberdeen in an open top car!

Btw, the fleece on an Aero D-1 is slightly longer so the jacket will be slightly warmer than an ELC.

If you want a jacket for hopping in an out of cars I’d suggest an A-2 or B-10 and like weighted jackets worn with a long sleeved t shirt or sweater or CPO shirt to tailor for conditions on the day.

Just my tuppence worth and hope it helps.

Cheers

Thanks Stanier, does the D1 or B6 have fleece running throughout the jacket or is it just where I can see on the pictures - the neck area, cuffs, and bottom of jacket? Cheers :)

stanier

Thanks Ken. I was looking for one with maybe more detail pics and comments, like label, strap thickness and comparison to an original Aero B-3.

I’m really taken with all the recent Aero B-3’s I’ve seen and at the price feel an excellent deal. I’m also taken with the Aero D-1 redskin - beautiful jacket, and then I saw a comment somewhere that it wasn’t that accurate but without substantiation, which is annoying...

For UK /EU buyers they have to be the best value sheepskins bar none.