• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New additions

watchmanjimg

Here are a few quick shots of some new additions to my nylon collection. Enjoy!

Pritzker B-15C, size 42. Restored as "Mod" with MASH knits:
JacketsEtc015.jpg

Dobbs MA-1 1958, size Large. Overall UV fading. Restored with new zipper and MASH knits:
JacketsEtc017.jpg

Buzz Rickson L-2, size 42:
JacketsEtc018.jpg

Superior Togs L-2A, size 40:
JacketsEtc020.jpg

Reed Products L-2, size 40:
JacketsEtc021.jpg

better duck

You didn't sit still, have you? ;)
I just saw the additions to your leather jacket collection, and I like these best, but I must say, these nylon jackets look good also. Especially, none too blousy. Is that a fit you particulary aim for, or were these jacket intended to be close fitting too?

Maverickson

watchmanjimg said:

JacketsEtc015.jpg

Wow Jim,

I tend to remember you purchasing this Pritzker not long ago. That jacket really looks to be my favorite amongst this group. What a great restoration job! As evidenced by your group of freshly taylored fine nylon jackets it looks as though your efforts have definitely paid off!

Cheers, Dave

rich

Great additions - I'd love an original B-15C. How well does the Buzz really compare to the real deal Jim?

watchmanjimg

better duck said:
You didn't sit still, have you? ;)
I just saw the additions to your leather jacket collection, and I like these best, but I must say, these nylon jackets look good also. Especially, none too blousy. Is that a fit you particulary aim for, or were these jacket intended to be close fitting too?

Peter:

Thanks for the kind words. I like a clean, trim look as long as it's not too snug. Fortunately the size 40/42 and Large jackets work well on me.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Very impressive Jim. The Reed L-2 is particularly nice. Where do you pick up all this great nylon ?

Thanks, Peter. I love the Reed myself. It almost makes me wish I'd ordered my Buzz L-2 in 40, but the last ones I had were a bit snug through the chest. However, the Reed and my Superior Togs L-2A fit fine. As far as my sources, many have come from Ebay but I also have several contacts who find jackets for me on occasion--just as I let my friends know when I come across items they might like. :D

watchmanjimg

rich said:
Great additions - I'd love an original B-15C. How well does the Buzz really compare to the real deal Jim?

Rich:

I appreciate your comments. I assume you're asking about the Buzz L-2 as my B-15C is original. However, I've owned a Buzz B-15C Modified and can tell you that it's a faithful reproduction, right down to the curiously shallow handwarmer pockets. The L-2 is also very good, although the color is a bit different than the original Reed. Let's not forget that 60 years of exposure to God knows what can do that to a jacket and thus it's hard to say how the original looked when new. My Buzz L-2 is a size larger than the Reed, so I can't compare its fit to the original.

watchmanjimg

greyhound52 said:
Jim,
The Reed L-2 looks good on you. Really like the B-15C Mod. That was a great restoration job. Makes me want one.

Thanks, George. We'd never know how good it looks were it not for your moment of weakness. :D

Seriously though, the B-15C is one of my favorites. Once I got it cleaned up, the rest of the job was easy. The zipper is very solid and the MASH knits really set it off nicely. You ought to keep an eye out for a restorable example.

watchmanjimg

Maverickson said:
watchmanjimg said:

JacketsEtc015.jpg

Wow Jim,

I tend to remember you purchasing this Pritzker not long ago. That jacket really looks to be my favorite amongst this group. What a great restoration job! As evidenced by your group of freshly taylored fine nylon jackets it looks as though your efforts have definitely paid off!

Cheers, Dave

Dave:

As always, your input is most appreciated. This one really did turn out great, owing largely to the quality work of my seamstress in replacing the knits. I'm also glad I was able to remove the mottled stains that nearly covered the right arm. It didn't hurt that the Crown main zip was in such nice shape, either.

Weasel_Loader

You've got one heck of a collection now Jim. I'm really impressed with your work getting these jackets restored. How you keep your significant other convinced of the importance of restoring these jackets is another mystery to me. :lol: Great job Jim!!! ;)

watchmanjimg

Weasel_Loader said:
You've got one heck of a collection now Jim. I'm really impressed with your work getting these jackets restored. How you keep your significant other convinced of the importance of restoring these jackets is another mystery to me. :lol: Great job Jim!!! ;)

Thanks, Danny! It's really quite simple--I just don't tell her what I'm up to. :twisted:

Peter Graham

watchmanjimg said:
The BIN is at least $400 too high in my opinion.
In mine too. It's been hanging around for a long time and at that price it won't be selling, except to someone with more money than sense.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
watchmanjimg said:
The BIN is at least $400 too high in my opinion.
In mine too. It's been hanging around for a long time and at that price it won't be selling, except to someone with more money than sense.

Apparently he's received two offers, although I don't know the amounts. Back in 2006 I recall that Ebay seller Pretoriann got well over $700 for an absolutely pristine Skyline C model. At the time I was willing to pay something close to that for his jacket, but I was outbid nonetheless. Times have definitely changed, even more so given the short bodies of many of these early Skylines. I'd be unlikely to pay much more than $300 unless I was very convinced of the measurements. From what I understand the Rolen is a better fit.