• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New A2 from ELC

Greg Gale

I'm also a huge fan of ELC, I'd buy everything they offer if I won the lottery, but the prices are getting crazier exponentially lately. 2.5k for a jacket? even the 1k is nuts for my wallet. OK, the new target is the rich Japanese, but what's next? Exclusive dealer of some shah in the Middle East with 5k jackets? It's probably a great business idea, just sad news for us.

BTW, does this mean the artwork, that is well made but not unique at all costs 1.4k (2.5k-1.1k)? I imagine some artists would do it for a fraction of that.

silvio76

I'm also a huge fan of ELC, I'd buy everything they offer if I won the lottery, but the prices are getting crazier exponentially lately. 2.5k for a jacket? even the 1k is nuts for my wallet. OK, the new target is the rich Japanese, but what's next? Exclusive dealer of some shah in the Middle East with 5k jackets? It's probably a great business idea, just sad news for us.

BTW, does this mean the artwork, that is well made but not unique at all costs 1.4k (2.5k-1.1k)? I imagine some artists would do it for a fraction of that.
probably they think there will be demand for the jackets with this price. Nose art is definitely too expensive.

Last edited:

Pilot

In countries where you see German and Italian top notch cars with sterling silver ( solid silver) bodies... and plenty of them ....also 5 K € jackets ( if liked by the prospects) are not an issue...Money calls...

silvio76

In countries where you see German and Italian top notch cars with sterling silver ( solid silver) bodies... and plenty of them ....also 5 K € jackets ( if liked by the prospects) are not an issue...Money calls...
You are right, but most of them will wear Gucci, Prada, Boss.....

Pilot

You are right, but most of them will wear Gucci, Prada, Boss.....
Sure... lucky for ELC and all other prime makers... they could not even cope with all orders... if everybody there would prefere ELC BR RMC-J etc...as I mentioned... if they like this kind of „ Americania“...

silvio76

Sure... lucky for ELC and all other prime makers... they could not even cope with all orders... if everybody there would prefere ELC BR RMC-J etc...as I mentioned... if they like this kind of „ Americania“...
Probably you did not understand well. I mean small part of them will buy A-2, B-3, G-1 or other models.

Greg Gale

People buy luxury brands because everyone else knows how expensive they are, and they want to show it off. They wouldn't buy an ELC, because other people don't know what it is and how much it costs. In fact, ELC is the perfect anti-luxury brand. You spend an arm and a leg on a jacket that other people may see as a beaten up old leather jacket from a 2nd hand shop, or something along these lines. If you know what I mean.

And the psychology is "á l'envers" too: you DON'T want other people to know that you bought your pair of gloves for 130 GBP. You try your best to hide that skeleton :D

silvio76

People buy luxury brands because everyone else knows how expensive they are, and they want to show it off. They wouldn't buy an ELC, because other people don't know what it is and how much it costs. In fact, ELC is the perfect anti-luxury brand. You spend an arm and a leg on a jacket that other people may see as a beaten up old leather jacket from a 2nd hand shop, or something along these lines. If you know what I mean.

And the psychology is "á l'envers" too: you DON'T want other people to know that you bought your pair of gloves for 130 GBP. You try your best to hide that skeleton :D
Agree with you. Very few people knows something about flight jackets.

johnwayne

I got an email just this morning from ELMC announcing their latest pop up shop in London's East end and saw said A2's and thought exactly what most have said 'S**t, are they for real!' They look friggin good I must say but if the jacket sans artwork is what £1500, that's expensive artwork for sure and to wear it out in public as I've said before, I'm sure the man ( or woman) on the street would view it just an Avirex used to viewed and why I've never considered a painted jacket, even though I'd like to have a go at doing one myself!! However jackets aside, anyone check out ELCs other priced? Nearly £400 for a pair of Desert boots, £80 for baker boy cap, really? Ah but they are made in Japan, that explains it doesn't it?? Nice gear yes but over inflated prices albeit Gary obviously thinks they'll sell, just not to me and I doubt I'll even bother going to his pop shop either!!!

Brettafett

I heard via a little bird that they are holding the prices for now, but likely there'll be another increase in the new year (after the pop up).
Regs the above, I was in American Classics in London a few weeks ago, not much there regs flight jackets anymore. Anyway, there were a few guys in the shop, trying on jeans, and boots. A guy walked out with a pair of what appeared to be Redwings? And a shirt. Chunk of bills. For sure theres a market for this stuff. As long as you are not in a hurry to move the stock.
Son of Stagg is also always pretty busy when I pop in. Seems as much as the Japanese want Western/ American classics, we Westerners want Japanese and Chinese stuff. Weird world.

Pilot

Only agree partially.
Pe you buy a brand because you like it, it reflects something, its an investment, its quality, its durable and finally you enjoy and feel good in or with it...etc..IMHO and for me and my experience ... a lot of others are like this...also... When I leave for the other world, I will not take anything with me... so I „waste it and enjoy as much as I can here“...
..regardless whether people are aware or not of what I wear and drive and stay or fly with... „enjoy it“ is the moto...ELC and other luxury items/ brands suit/ fit in perfectly....
.... last but not least... I did not steal my earnings... and never beg for „discount or lower better price „

Maybe I am already more Asian than European...

Last edited:

Brettafett

My first ELC Roughwear was something like £400, my first Gw was around $800... If I had kept those jackets... You could say they'd have held their value.
If you keep them unworn in a box, you could say thats an incredible return on investment. But thats not what they are made for. Wear what you love, (and can afford) and enjoy it while you can.

Pilot

My first ELC Roughwear was something like £400, my first Gw was around $800... If I had kept those jackets... You could say they'd have held their value.
If you keep them unworn in a box, you could say thats an incredible return on investment. But thats not what they are made for. Wear what you love, (and can afford) and enjoy it while you can.
1000% agree! try the same with low cost items... regardless of what kind...
Coming back to the original thread...
Regardless what one may believe or not, lets face it...there is a market for these highly priced jackets, for others where one waits 2 years to receive them, where a lot of highly priced artwork is painted on the back...Prospects and buyers are there.. maybe not within here... but they still exist...otherwise these jackets would not be.

Last edited:

johnwayne

I'm certainly of the view that if you afford it then go for it, and if in turn you get pleasure from having/wearing it then even better but I'd only ever 'consider' £2500 for a mint original, and it would have to be so mint I'd problem convince myself it wasn't real! Apart from airshows and yucky baggy Avirex's, I have never, ever seen a good painted A2 on a man in the street!!

colekwok

Honestly, I think the ELC prices are becoming mad, like I said before many times, some manufacturers are trying align themselves towards the Japanese pricing (RM/TM etc). I do not know what volume that they are selling to the Far East, but I am sure they are losing a lot of their fans in Europe and in North America. From what I see from some forums from Asia, people who buy the expensive ELC jackets are usually one off buyers, where as for most of us here are usually going for multiple purchases down the years. Anyway, I personally would not buy another ELC jacket in the near future.

P.S. Have anyone seen the other new Roughwear with extra wool lining for cold weather from ELC? That one sells for a staggering £1349 compared to the regular £1099.